• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Was/Is Your Biggest Obstacle?

JimMorrison19

Inactive
Reaction score
(Not sure if this is in the right sub-forum or not)

Exactly how it sounds - what is or was the thing(s) that is in the way of your intention to join the CF? Anything counts, whether it's vision, a certain part of the fitness test, PT or aptitude, family (not a bad thing)? Did it prevent you from joining or did you overcome it? Post yours!

I'll give it a start:

Mine is primarily vision with medical close behind - I have bad uncorrected vision and a past history of cancer.

released and have to do the whole process over again......my choice for releasing though.

What's my biggest obstacle?  How about 3?
1. Husband is in Afghanistan right now - so I'm waiting on him to come home before I get everything started.  Don't want to put all my paperwork in, have everything go through quickly (long shot I know) , and then have to say "gee, can we put this off a couple months til he comes home?"   
2. Also, I'm still working on increasing my fitness level.  I want to be able to complete the male <35 with no difficulty before I join. 
3. Mentally getting over the swim test portion.  Scares the bejeezus out of me.

1. Getting in shape. Been a "fatty" my whole life and am busting my ass to meet the fitness standards before BMQ this summer (not sure if I'll be in that one, but I'm apping under subsidized education plan and summer makes the most sense).
2. A few medical things I'm running by my doctor which shouldn't be a problem.
3. The decision between NCM SEP and ROTP.

The 35 minute ferry ride from Langdale to Horseshoe bay.

Getting passed a misdiagnosis of migraines, already set in the required info for a medical reevaluation, now time will only tell.

Like RyanRG, definitely fitness.  I decided that I wanted to join the reserves last December, and since then have shed more than a quarter of my body weight.  I'm hoping be ready by summer 2009.

Applying for infantry and being deemed unfit due to V4 eyesight, basically the obstacle was making the decision between cancelling my application completely or changing the trade to a V4 trade and thus still joining the forces.

The latter is working out pretty well so far:)

Convincing my dad to sign the form when I was 17  ;D

muffin

:warstory: underweight...took 6 months to gain minimum of 3 lbs...and I had always ate like a horse (which eventually caught up with me in my mid 30's ).
'Course that was in '82. 

Eyesight was my main issue too. Just under the mark for V3, and so I missed out on AEC when I applied, but kept going for a V4 trade anyways. Not sure how it's turned out yet since I haven't done BMOQ yet haha.

1)Just got a call yesterday. I was hoping an invitation to the November BMOQ but they told me that I'll need to get a test view with glasses. I did the test view with contact lens but they really want me to do the test with glasses. The thing is that my left eye is 120% good vision ! And my right eye, without contact lens is 50% I think, and 90%+ with contact lens... So If I wear glasses, I'll get a side with about an inch glass and the other side with no glass haha... So it's impossible for me to wear glasses but they tell me that my eyes were OK and that I'll surely join the CF. They just really want to know. Hope I'm not going to be V4 with glasses... I've applied for Artillery Officer.

But good news, I got the form today by Post Canada and I have an appointment Monday 27th at 3:00 p.m. !

2)My other obstacle was to reassure my family about joining CF. I'm 17 years old so my dad was not really ease with the fact of seeing his son joining the army. On the other hand, my mother was really excited about that and tell me that I couldn't have done a better choice !

Lil_T said:
What's my biggest obstacle?  How about 3?
1. Husband is in Afghanistan right now - so I'm waiting on him to come home before I get everything started.  Don't want to put all my paperwork in, have everything go through quickly (long shot I know) , and then have to say "gee, can we put this off a couple months til he comes home?"   
2. Also, I'm still working on increasing my fitness level.  I want to be able to complete the male <35 with no difficulty before I join. 
3. Mentally getting over the swim test portion.  Scares the bejeezus out of me.

Swim test portion is pretty easy..... if you can swim.  The only people that didn't pass it on my courses were the really skinny guys, and a couple guys for not paying attention to detail (doing a somersault into the water from the platform).  Apparently from what I have heard, it is now a requirement to pass it for BIQ.

Fitness was my biggest obstacle, but a couple months of RFT got me through it.  Still not in the best of shape, but it's coming along.

Vision was a big problem for me, I am hoping to qualify for LASIK eventually, once my eyes stop changing.  In the mean time I decided to pick a different trade so I could start my pensionable time in right away.
Push up's  :crybaby:  I hate push ups's.  Still!  I exempted my pt test but boy did I work like a dog t get those push up's.
Main obstacle, leaving my hubby and kids behind for who knows how long  :-[  I have currently been away from home over 8 months of the last year, with another 5 months left to my course.  Minus Christmas tho :)

Push ups, I had to take the Physical Fitness test twice (I'm going for reserves) oddly enough I find it easier to get up and practice my PT now that I've passed the the test than before I took it...
That and my parents, I'm 16 and they didn't want to sign off on the forms, but I fixed that problem well before it would have become an issue.

stealthylizard said:
Swim test portion is pretty easy..... if you can swim.  The only people that didn't pass it on my courses were the really skinny guys, and a couple guys for not paying attention to detail (doing a somersault into the water from the platform).  Apparently from what I have heard, it is now a requirement to pass it for BIQ.

Fitness was my biggest obstacle, but a couple months of RFT got me through it.  Still not in the best of shape, but it's coming along.

I can swim no problem, I just have an aversion to getting my face wet in the pool.  Yes, I'm weird, I know.  Just some psychological junk from when an ex tried to drown me. And no I'm not kidding.

My biggest CONCERNS during last year was my vision, which I thought was terrible. But since my medical I've learn't that its just fine. (passed medical 100% on the spot).

I would say my biggest obstacle would now be physical training. About a year ago I weighed around 180-200 pounds at 5'8 and rarely did PT. Over the last summer I dropped to (and holding) 150-155 (with above average muscle tone). I still have a long way to go to be ready for BMOQ next summer in the aerobics department (IF I get accepted into ROTP). But once spring starts, I will be burning the roads until BMOQ lol.

Back