• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where is Aldershot Actually Located?

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a quick Question, since I couldnt Find it on Google,
I am trying to figure out if Aldershot is located near Kempville NS as I am possibly doing a PLQ course out of there in Oct.

many thanks.

EDIT; Fixed the spelling in the title.

Its located next to the town of KENTVILLE not Kempville.

Try here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldershot,_Nova_Scotia

Or here:  http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/pdf/maps/map_of_nova_scotia.pdf

Or here:  http://www.destination-ns.com/common/places.asp?PlaceID=1757#general

Your googlefu needs work.  ;)

Its about...an hour, hour and a half from Halifax...depending on how you drive.

King's Arm is a decent little pub.  You will probably be told about the "other place" close to there.  Not so friendly to the military crowd by times.

Kentville has / is one of the only places I know of a by-law existing banning smoking.  Period.  As in, if you go to Timmies, walk out with your DD and "lite up" and the cops see  you...its a fine. 

Acadia University and assorted water holes are a 10-15 minute drive down the road towards New Minas.

Greenwood is...40-45 minutes down the road.  The Lookoff, Cape Split, Falls Lake, Blomidon, Scots Bay are all close. 

And of course, all roads lead to Canning.   :eek:

Aldershot, I did my MODS 2-5 there area is quite beautify in the fall.

Accomodations and food there was quite good.

Mud Recce Man said:
Kentville has is one of the only places I know of a by-law existing banning smoking.  Period.  As in, if you go to Timmies, walk out with your DD and "lite up" and the cops see  you...its a fine. 

And I know peeing on Timmies while drunk, the Kentville Police don't like it either. Trust me, I know.   :-[

Ah Patties Pub.... memories...

Edit to add pubs name.

The Camp has been SIGNIFICANTLY improved from my first visit there (CLC in '93).  

The last summer I was there (2001) the only "complaint" I could say I have worth noting was the smell of the "lagoon" on a night later on in the week after many many flushes on the camp...and WAY to close to the outdoor swimming pool IMHO... ;D

Oh, and the trng area was alittle small...once we had all 8 of our platoons/courses on the final Defensive Ex....I think we dug in on the "driving circuit".

Now guys......You have forgotten to mention that quaint little 'village' outside the front gate........Yoho Valley.

Mortar guy said:
Are you from Canning? I ask because I'm looking at buying land in the Valley.

MG

No.  But...when we did the Dvr portion of the QL3 course that summer (the Armd crse was moved from Gagetown to Aldershot...when I showed up for the Prep week before Instr's/students, the Adjt said "this is great...there hasn't been a tank moving here for YEARS!  :D), we found that no matter where we went, we saw a sign telling us how to get to Canning.

Sorry.  8)

TN2IC said:

Edit to add pubs name.

Patties Pub?  That must be the burger joint next to Paddy's Pub is it?  ;D

George Wallace said:
Now guys......You have forgotten to mention that quaint little 'village' outside the front gate........Yoho Valley.

Is that still there?  I remember doing a major garbage removal task there in the fall of 2001 when I was Camp Staff.  No "village".

?

However there were quite a few "ya-ho's" on Camp that summer...maybe that is where they were quartered at?  :D

TN2IC said:
And I know peeing on Timmies while drunk, the Kentville Police don't like it either. Trust me, I know.   :-[

Edit to add pubs name.

Actually if memory serves, the Kentville Constabulary don't really like much about the military... and yes I speak from experience. Half our course in the clink the night before the grad parade in 1987.

You know guys you could get the names right sheesh

it's Paddy's not Patties. It has awesome mirco brew beer.

Also to get to CFC Aldershot you would take the Kentville/New Minas exit off the 101 and follow Middle Dyke road through the intersection and then down the hill. From there you will come to another intersection leading down another hill across a dyke. You will then come to another intersection that you will again proceed through down the road you will come to Scott Drive which you will make a left turn onto it. Foolow that road through many many other roads. You will come to a intersection with a Quickway on your left front and an Ultramar on your right. proceed through that intersection. follow that same road. Again you will come to a service centre and there you will turn right.follow that and you will see signs for the Aldershot.

Hope this is clear (thought likely not) a map should be given with your joining instructions.

MG

I lived in the Valley all my teenage years find me at work tomorrow and ask all the questions you want.

HitorMiss said:
You know guys you could get the names right sheesh

it's Paddy's not Patties. It has awesome mirco brew beer.

But I did! 

Mud Recce Man said:
Patties Pub?  That must be the burger joint next to Paddy's Pub is it?   ;D

Dan

It's changed there now, though some places such as The Edge can be dicy for lipy Reservist who think too much of thier new found killer attitude. Most of the Kentville Police are pretty max relax or they have been when I have been about in the summer for leave while all the Res training occurs. I find that in all honesty having been witness to it the Res guys on training bring the whole thing down on themselves.

I say Res guys in perticular because I have yet to see issues with the lad's from Greenwood, but I could just not have been around for it....I doubt that though

I agree Oakley Boy it's mainly a Reserve problem because it's mainly a Reservist base as opposed to say the situation in Sassy's in Pet, the Wainwright Hotel in Wainwright and/or whatever hole has replaced the Camelot in Gagetown.

When I was there both for training and as D/S in 1981-87 for summer and fall Battleschools there were two real bad bars The Big Apple and some other little hole in the wall that were usually no gos on a Saturday Night. The Old Orchid Inn out on the highway could also get interesting. I preferred the small pub already mentioned if I couldn't get into Halifax for a night off myself.

Back then it was all about money., or rather unequal wealth distribution. The area was pretty depressed and unemployment was high. Toss in a couple of hundred Militia types, with a regular paycheck for a few months every June and add booze and on a Saturday night and watch the fun and games. Troopies with bucks versus local yahoos without, both competing for the local spandex dollies. ::)  The coips then sided with the locals. The MPs with us, and the Horseman stayed in New Minas.

I still remember the time Sgt Jack Salzman threatend to build a POW cage on the main Parade Square Friday night when he was Duty Sgt in anticipation of that nights revelry. 8)

Danjanou said:
I still remember the time Sgt Jack Salsman threatend to build a POW cage on the main Parade Square Friday night when he was Duty Sgt in anticipation of that nights revelry. 8)

And he would have had "Wild Willie" marching the delinquents back from the town centre to the cage.

You got exactualy what I meant there Dan though I worded it very badly.

The Big Apple now known as The Edge still a hole will always be a hole. Always always a problem. The newest problem child for the troops there is CAPS above the King's Arms Pub. Last time I was there it was not only packed it was a giant brawl not even any fun. Though it was kinda funny to sit and watch the guys walk around with their tags on and exposed trying to look cool. It was like a Giant Hit Me! sign  ;D

I mean heck if they want to look cool they should know to buy some Oakley's I mean clearly it's really that simple.

The Old O is really toned down now, more of a classy business place to drink, I think that's why I am not allowed near it  ;)

Back