• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why are you proud of Canada?

Mdrinka

Inactive
Reaction score
I want to know why you are proud of your country, Canada, for what reasons?

Mdrinka said:
I want to know why you are proud of your country, Canada, for what reasons?

Why? 

There's nothing in your profile.

Why don't you go first?  If you do, I promise to chime in.

I wanted to hear the reasons and comments of people older and with more experience than me, I am only 17 and don't know much about why we should be proud (not saying we shouldn't be, before someone starts twisting my words).

Mdrinka said:
I am only 17 and don't know much about why we should be proud

Ladies and Gents, i give you our public education system...........

Baden  Guy said:
A young Québécois and against our mission in Afghanistan?

I am for our mission in Afghanistan. Wow this thread really turned out like I expected it to be.

Mdrinka said:
I am only 17 and don't know much about why we should be proud (not saying we shouldn't be, before someone starts twisting my words).

I'll help you out with this one.
Open your eyes. Pending the fact that you are not blind you will see a computer. You or your family were able to afford said computer because you have the ability to go to work and get paid. Paid very well. You may not think that minimum wage is being paid well at all... but because you've got the ability to utilize your computer, google a country called Sudan, Malawi, or lets try a place called Colombia. You will right away notice that drought war and the overall conditions of their governments aren't something to be proud of.
  Us here in Canada... what do we have to be proud of? Take a walk downtown and look at all the other people. They aren't hiding, they aren't scared of being shot or raped in the middle of a crowd, they ARE living a life of freedom. That freedom is provided by our government, our military, and our history (each of those three are things to be immensely proud of by the way).  We have people from all over the world moving to our country to escape the wars and oppression that they faced in their homeland. These people are blacks, arabs, hindu, oriental, and any other combination you can come up with. All of these people can live with each other, choose their own preference of sexual lifestyle and live a normal life without worrying about being shot or hanged.  We live in Canada. That is something to be proud of in itself.

midget-boyd91 said:
I'll help you out with this one.
Open your eyes. Pending the fact that you are not blind you will see a computer. You or your family were able to afford said computer because you have the ability to go to work and get paid. Paid very well. You may not think that minimum wage is being paid well at all... but because you've got the ability to utilize your computer, google a country called Sudan, Malawi, or lets try a place called Colombia. You will right away notice that drought war and the overall conditions of their governments aren't something to be proud of.
  Us here in Canada... what do we have to be proud of? Take a walk downtown and look at all the other people. They aren't hiding, they aren't scared of being shot or raped in the middle of a crowd, they ARE living a life of freedom. That freedom is provided by our government, our military, and our history (each of those three are things to be immensely proud of by the way).  We have people from all over the world moving to our country to escape the wars and oppression that they faced in their homeland. These people are blacks, arabs, hindu, oriental, and any other combination you can come up with. All of these people can live with each other, choose their own preference of sexual lifestyle and live a normal life without worrying about being shot or hanged.  We live in Canada. That is something to be proud of in itself.

Thanks you for your help and for actually saying something constructive, unlike other people in this thread.

I would suggest you do as suggested and make a list of your basic lifestyle here in Canada

1. Housing
2. Electricity
3. Work
     a. children
     b. adults
4. Security
     a. laws
     b. police
     c. justice system
5. Food
      a. availability/price
      b. quality
      c.
6. Freedom of Speech/Action
      a. what's allowed
      b. what's not allowed

Other can add more categories

Take these items listed, and check out on the internet/library what are the general conditions for each of them....ask your parents.

Now go on the internet and pick 3 countries that a lot of people are immigrating to Canada from and answer the same questions.

Compare.

Mdrinka said:
I am for our mission in Afghanistan. Wow this thread really turned out like I expected it to be.

You telescoped your expectations, and perhaps foreshadowed the replies by the manner in which you posed your original question.

An empty profile, combined with a baldly stated question (no preamble, no discussion, no reason given for asking) which is guaranteed to raise high emotions ALWAYS gives me a "hincky feeling", and I usually suspect the poster has an agenda.  Your statement above proves my point - you expected a certain reaction, posted your question is such a manner as to guarantee you receive the expected reaction, then pretended to be an innocent posing an innocuous question in a search for knowledge.  What hogwash.

However - as promised (although you haven't upheld YOUR end of the bargain yet - we still haven't heard why YOU are proud of Canada, despite others attempts to assist you), I'll tell you why I'm proud of Canada, and I'll do you a favour and leave any reference to military actions past or present out of it.

I've been to quite a few places in the world - "western" democracies, communist nations, Islamic states, and dictatorships.  What has always struck me is Canada's basic decency.  And I mean institutional decency - not just the common decency shown by most individual Canadians.  We have built a society which, despite it's faults, at it's core CARES about people - all people.  We bend over backward to ensure that all are treated fairly, and that all are given an equal chance to better themselves.  We sometimes fall short of the mark, and as individuals we don't always agree with how it's done - but as a nation we genuinely give a damn about our fellow man, despite his ethnic, cultural, or religious background.  And believe me - that is a quality which is in short supply around the world, and it's one worth being proud of.

I am not a sociologist, and cannot posit how this happy state of affairs came about, but I strongly suspect it was passed on to us by past generations with a strong grounding in parliamentary democracy, a determined work ethic, and a strong sense of ethics (mostly based on Christian theology).  What we do with it is up to us - and I feel that most Canadians retain and are proud of these qualities, despite my despair with the justice system, the shenanigans of our elected officials, the beastliness of SOME of our youth, and the "victim" attitude copped by SOME of our citizens.  I truly believe that the average Canadian is a decent, honest, hard working, ethical individual who will give you any assistance you may need, despite your background.  And THAT makes me proud.

I'll leave off here - remember that this is only ONE reason I am proud of Canada - there are many more.

Now please leave off acting innocent and state your agenda.

Roy

Edit:  Typos

Open a history book, talk to your grand parents, and go for a hike in the wild.  That will tell you why I am proud.

Canada has a proud history, first as a collection of colonies, then as self-governing Dominion.  Sadly, proper Canadian history, nor basic civics, is no longer taught in public schools, and it is up to people to individually educate themselves. 

As well, my ancestors have been a part of that history, which also makes me proud.

Next, the natural beauty and diverse ecology make me proud.  As much of my pride in country that comes from its history, comes from the land itself.

So, to sum up, collective history, family history, and natural wonder.

EDIT for clarity.

Roy Harding said:
I've been to quite a few places in the world - "western" democracies, communist nations, Islamic states, and dictatorships.  What has always struck me is Canada's basic decency.  And I mean institutional decency - not just the common decency shown by most individual Canadians.  We have built a society which, despite it's faults, at it's core CARES about people - all people.  We bend over backward to ensure that all are treated fairly, and that all are given an equal chance to better themselves.  We sometimes fall short of the mark, and as individuals we don't always agree with how it's done - but as a nation we genuinely give a damn about our fellow man, despite his ethnic, cultural, or religious background.  And believe me - that is a quality which is in short supply around the world, and it's one worth being proud of.

Roy

Edit:  Typos

Excellent comment Roy, I particularly liked this part.

Also when measured against our neighbour to the south we have a superior national health care in spite of its flaws. I also believe our educational system is superior to the US, "No child left behind" has been recognized as a monumental disaster that many states are struggling to correct.

I am proud of Canada because of the opportunities available to me. The opportunity to get an education. The opportunities to find work in my chosen field. Most importantly, the opportunity to walk down the street as a woman free of fear. The opportunities for a fulfilling life are here and the rest is up to me. For these reasons and more, I am thankful and proud to be part of Canada.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070428/NEWS/704280338/-1/State

I was able to go to a Dr for treatment during my pregnancy, to go to a hospital to give birth.  My child has survived to the ripe old age of 12 and being a girl is allowed to go to school, play sports, can walk down a street without a male relative accompanying her.  She can choose to be whatever she has the drive and talent for.  There are many things to be grateful for.  I feel pride in my flag  :cdn:  because it symbolizes a country that is truly great without a need to stand up and tell the rest of the world how great we are.

I have travelled around the world a little bit - and am always happy to have the oportunity to return home, to my work and my family.  I have met many who expressed their views as being separatists - until they travelled around the world themselves and got to see what a sweet deal they have right here in their own backyard.

Reasonable accomodation - try asking for that in most countries in the middle east!

I thank my parents, my grand parents and all those who came before them for what they made of this great land...

These are but a few of the reasons that I love this great land!

CHIMO!

No need to bash anyone's culture - it just goes to show that we're trying to boost up something of ours that isn't necessarily all that good.

S_Baker said:
Badenguy,
There is one thing as a Canadian I am not proud of.  The almost reflexive nature of responses like yours about why one is proud to be a Canadian.  Where CDNs define themselves as either being better that the "neighbour to the south" or something they are not, i.e. the "neighbour to the south."  I think it is time for some Canadians to grow up and quit measuring themselves against someone else and seek a little more self improvement.  Remember what they say about those living in glass houses.....

I spent four years in the US having the opportunity to see the US health care system up close and personal. I have watched a young carpenter, self employed with a beautiful daughter, die due to his inability to pay for the required cancer treatment.
Other circumstance I am aware of are financially well off individuals forced into bankruptcy due to costs in treating an acute illness.
On a more minor note I had American friends who were unable to take advantage of career opportunities as the new company had an inferior medical plan that would not cover the chronic illness of a family member.
I am reasonably informed on the health care systems that exist in the western world. 
Now back in Canada I see people get treatment for their medical condition irrespective of their financial ability.
This makes me proud to be a Canadian.

Back