• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winged Luddites: Aviators are the Biggest Threat to Naval Aviation

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm all for parallel path development, but they skipped some serious issues with the actual reason the X-47B was cancelled, which when one does that - it tends to have me question the rest of what is written.

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
I'm all for parallel path development, but they skipped some serious issues with the actual reason the X-47B was cancelled, which when one does that - it tends to have me question the rest of what is written.
What were the serious issues?

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
What were the serious issues?
Let me double check if that is OS. I sat in on a few briefs that were NOFO and not sure if that was one.

What is OS I know is that many of the AI systems have "done their own thing" - and having seen an Armed system "do its own thing" once - that was enough for me to have serious concerns.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Let me double check if that is OS. I sat in on a few briefs that were NOFO and not sure if that was one.

What is OS I know is that many of the AI systems have "done their own thing" - and having seen an Armed system "do its own thing" once - that was enough for me to have serious concerns.
1642097882039.gif

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score

Fair. The lawyers would probably have a field day with the ROE/engagement process if everything was automated.

I think the most that would happen in "western" countries is everything up to the point of trigger-pulling, then the human "pulls the trigger".

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Fair. The lawyers would probably have a field day with the ROE/engagement process if everything was automated.

I think the most that would happen in "western" countries is everything up to the point of trigger-pulling, then the human "pulls the trigger".
Well that isn't the goal anymore - and that is what concerns me (and a lot more than me).
AI/ML is a lot faster and accurate than humans - but the issue is who really trusts a machine.

The ability to control is a major concern - I am all for automating where possible - but I want a human in the loop -- even if their only job is watching and waiting with their hand on a self destruct.