• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worlds most dangerous door stop!!!

freeze_time311

Inactive
Reaction score
Imagine if this went off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=465694&in_page_id=1770

What if no one was around after the blast. Who would explain a 1914 German Shell going off.

Worlds most dangerous gate guard  :eek:

http://www.gunnies.pac.com.au/gallery/grand_slam.htm

Reminds me of the time in the mid-90s when I was chatting with some of the WOs in my Regt in a classroom where the Basic Javelin Operator's Course was being taught, but was on a break.  My eye travelled to a Blowpipe Missile in a display stand- typical training aid that I had seen almost daily for 4-5 years and which had been kicking around the various Air Defence Batteries in Canada since at least the mid-80s.  A question suddenly jumped into my mouth:

"Hey Warrant- you are an Ack IG (assistant Instructor In Gunnery), how come that particular display missile doesn't have dummy markings?"

The room got real quiet as two experienced Warrant Officers suddenly focused their attention on a training aid that they had been around since they were MBdrs.  We moved closer for a better look.  Got a real good look at the burn marks on the rocket nozzles.  Got an even better look at the scratches on missile body that I had never noticed before!  Ah crap!  Called the Ammo Tech WO in Petawawa (whom I new fairly well) and explained the situation- he was there in 20 minutes with the bomb truck.  Turns out, years before, some "brain surgeon" had picked up a missile off of the range that had just experienced a second stage misfire (the first stage ejects the missile from it's tube, the second stage takes it downrange to the target), somehow removed the warhead without killing himself and made a display stand for it.  Too bad he forgot the second stage rocket motor. 

We never did get out our "trg aid" back, but we did carefully inspect all of the Regt holdings of display items to make sure that they were all safe.  I also learned a huge lesson about  just assuming a trg aid was safe, because everyone else did...

Holy Crap SKT,

When I was the CIG at the Arty School in the mid-70s and we had just brought the Blowpipe into service, we had a scary incident. A Blowpipe Operators course was firing and experienced a second stage misfire. The round went 'poof' out of the tube, did the little drop we expect before the seond stage ignited and . . . It thundered in and lay on the ground in front of the firing point. Fortunately the staff insisted that the drills be followed, as about two minutes before the 'pick up time' the round missile blew.

We reported it back up the chain and caught some flak from the Brits - you know the usual about ignorant Colonials and the RA never had had a second stage detonation. After they were reminded that their firing point in the Outer Hebrides overlooked the ocean, they did a search for their second stage misfires and found that had it not been for the sea water shorting and damping everything, they would have had rounds blow.

Good job spotting a real, not a potential hazard.

Old Sweat,

What still amazes me is that someone managed to get a live, armed warhead apart (ok- one piece of the arming puzzle was missing, but no point straying into OPSEC territory here, even with a system that old) without killing himself.

I've seen probably 500 Blowpipe and Javelin missiles fired.  I've seen missiles cartwheel across Centre Lake; I've seen numerous detonations on arming (very impressive- a string of those was witnessed by then BGen Baril, Comd CTC as we hastily prepared to deploy with the Navy on Gulf War 1.  That and a phone call to the VCDS got us Javelin 3 days later!);  I've seen Gunners lose their footing and impact live missiles less than 100 m in front of the firing point (also impressive and part of the reason that we insist on flak vests at the firing point).

There was rarely a dull day on a BP/Jav live fire ex!

It could be the worst most dangerous "pensioner". Maybe she's been secretly using her home as a weapon cache for the germans SINCE 1914... and maybe she.. still.. is...  :eek:

Colin P said:
Worlds most dangerous gate guard  :eek:

http://www.gunnies.pac.com.au/gallery/grand_slam.htm

Holy crap!  :eek:

I WILL NEVER EVER look at a training aid the same AGAIN! OMG!!!  :eek:

I could use one of those. Good-bye beaver dam.....stupid beavers, flooding the stupid yard..... I'll fix you. :threat:

I recall on one course the instructor told us about a woman in PMQ's who was using Det Cord as a clothesline.  A pioneer-trained soldier saw it and reported it, and the woman didnt believe the EOD crew that showed up to get rid of it.  They had her accompany them to the range where they wrapped the det cord around a 4x4 and blew it up for her. Dont recall what they said her reaction was.

Might be a 'myth' but sounded like a good story, got told it in 1989.

If true, I wonder how she would have aquired the Det Cord in the first place, and how its use became that of a clothesline. ???

Good question, dont recall that part of the story - probably evidence of it being a myth.

Back