• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WTF is This? Sex offender gets 4 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060209-010/page.asp

In December 2004, police found a missing 9-year-old girl inside a shed on Lennox Avenue in Richmond Hill. She was badly beaten and had been sexually assaulted. On Thursday, the man who stood trial for committing the vile acts was sentenced to seven-years in jail, minus three years he had already served in custody.

The girl’s parents, who can’t be named to protect the victim’s identity, expressed their outrage with the sentence, and the fact that the court deemed the perpetrator is not a pedophile and likely won’t re-offend.

“We cannot express in words our disappointment in the events here today,” the girl’s mother said outside the courthouse.

“Why when you have committed a serious criminal act should you have been given credit for having done something to end up in jail in the first place?” she further questioned.

The girl’s father was equally dismayed by the prospect of the man’s eventual freedom.

“How do you think it will affect my daughter when she is approximately 14 and out with her friends, knowing that the individual who did what they did to her is going to be out on the streets?” he added, his voice cracking with emotion.

The police manhunt began when the girl went missing from a birthday party in Vaughan. A search led to the arrest of a man who admitted kidnapping the girl from the party. He was later assessed by psychiatrists.

“Both of them on the strength of some well accepted tests concluded that my client was not a pedophile and he was a very low risk of re-offending,” said defence lawyer Paul Burnstein.

The man has 30 days to appeal. He is banned from owning weapons, and must go into sex offender registry and provide DNA.

February 9, 2006

What the hell is wrong with this society when the Judges think that this is acceptable punishment?

one more reason why we should be electing our judges and getting this pathetic liberal soft on crime attitude the hell out of our system.

but thats just my .02

Amen, brother.  I remember this case, and the POS actually had the balls to say to the parents during sentancing "I'm a parent too, so I think I know how you feel".  THE F_CKING GALL!! 
If I was that father, I would be spending the next year and a half (because that is how much actual time he will have to spend in jail) coming up with a fool proof "road trip" plan.  With the mountains so close, and all that wildlife.....
Maybe Bruce Monkhouse could pull some strings and make sure this foul piece of crap ends up in general population.  But more likely, he will be in PC (protective custody) for the duration (which is, of course, more expensive). 
Since some a$$hat doctor decided he is not a high risk to re-offend, don't be surprised when after about six months he is moved to a medium security detention center "for better rehabilitation". 
And BTW, "sexually assaulted and badly beaten" is a nice way of saying she was fully vaginally penetrated, smashed in the face until unconscious and then choked and left for dead.  No, he isn't a risk to re-offend.  He was just having a tough day.

I wonder if these slimeball defence lawyers have ever known a victim of a violent crime...

maybe that would change their perspective on these "poor misjugdged victims of society"

the more I hear about cases like this, the less I value the lives of criminals...

when you think about it the govt spends milions each year keeping them locked up.

for only pennies a day think about how cheap it would be to just shoot em?

Glock 17 Pistol: $1200...
9mm 145grn FMJ: About .25 Cents a Round...

0% Chance of Reoffending: Priceless

For provincial offences there court,
for everything else, there's Glock...
Official sponsors of the Recidivism Reduction Plan.

Cpl Thompson said:
I wonder if these slimeball defence lawyers have ever known a victim of a violent crime...

maybe that would change their perspective on these "poor misjugdged victims of society"

the more I hear about cases like this, the less I value the lives of criminals...

when you think about it the govt spends milions each year keeping them locked up.

for only pennies a day think about how cheap it would be to just shoot em?

Glock 17 Pistol: $1200...
9mm 145grn FMJ: About .25 Cents a Round...

0% Chance of Reoffending: Priceless

Ah another person inline with the boondock saints school of justice.

I'm not saying I'd do it, but I wouldnt exactly be upset if someone else started to..

I am sure it's a stupid reason, but seeing our "justice system" work like this is what caused me to lose interest in being a lawyer like I had planned. I get too frustrated with it all. I am sure there is a better way to deal, like becoming a lawyer and trying to do my best to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen, but it just seems so impossible some days.

Just my rant for the day...

A similar story here in Kingston - only on the other end. They have just released a known pedophile who " suffers from pedophilia, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, anti-social personality disorder and alcohol- and substance-abuse problems, as well as a mild intellectual impairment." (Kingston Whig Standard http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentID=144479&catname=Local+News )

He has reoffended on parole before - and is not allowed near areas where children congregate. His halfway house is down the street from a high school, a shopping district, a daycare and a church. They assure us he is being strictly "monitored" - that didn't stop me from burining the picture into my kid's head though. This man is 6ft 7 and 350 lbs. His victims never stood a chance.

muffin

muffin said:
A similar story here in Kingston - only on the other end. They have just released a known pedophile who " suffers from pedophilia, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, anti-social personality disorder and alcohol- and substance-abuse problems, as well as a mild intellectual impairment." (Kingston Whig Standard http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentID=144479&catname=Local+News )...

...This man is 6ft 7 and 350 lbs. His victims never stood a chance...

Though Im not a big fan of allowing ordinary citizens to Carry....  I doubt there is a court in the world.. Save the idiots running the ones in canada who would convict someone of offing this guy while he was trying to rape a kid. hell Id give whoever did it a medal.

Cpl Thompson you expressed doubts about whethter you would "do it", I assume (I hate that word) you meant blowing this POS away. Rest assured, if it was my wife or kids, not a moments hesitation! :threat:

I'll gladly take my chances in court!

Cpl Thompson said:
Though Im not a big fan of allowing ordinary citizens to Carry....  I doubt there is a court in the world.. Save the idiots running the ones in canada who would convict someone of offing this guy while he was trying to rape a kid. hell Id give whoever did it a medal.

I second the sentiment.. :sniper:

2 Cdo said:
Cpl Thompson you expressed doubts about whethter you would "do it", I assume (I hate that word) you meant blowing this POS away. Rest assured, if it was my wife or kids, not a moments hesitation! :threat:

I'll gladly take my chances in court!

heheh you mis-read me my freind... someone messed with my family, Id be shooting low and working my way up to their head... Id want them to feel as much pain as I could inflict before I accually kill them.   :evil:

I was refering to accually going out and Knocking off random criminals "Boondock Saints" style...   :mg:

I know I can kill. but I have to have reason.

and I live by the saying "better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6". as im sure many of you on this board also do.

Cheers
   Josh

Rapist's Prison Sentence Triggers Outrage

Burlington, Vermont -- January 4, 2005

There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a [size=12pt]60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many, many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.

The judge said he no longer believes in punishment and is more concerned about rehabilitation.

Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

The sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten. Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of eight to twenty years in prison, in part, as punishment.

"Punishment is a valid purpose," Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Nicole Andreson argued to Judge Edward Cashman.

"The state recognizes that the court may not agree or subscribe to that method of sentencing but the state does. The state thinks that it is a very important factor for the court to consider," Andreson added.

But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.

The sentence outraged the victim's family who asked not to be identified.

"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.

Hulett -- who had been out on bail-- was taken away to start his sentence immediately.

Brian Joyce - Channel 3 News

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605

:rage:

I'm glad to see we are all experts in this field.

I'm glad to see that killing someone is the moral solution you seem to think we should take as a society.

I'm glad to see we are all representing the CF (on this site) in such a reputable manner to the public

oh wait.. 

[/sarcasm off]

much better...

First of all.. he got 7 years.. not 4...  he already served 3. 

But this behavior is for locker rooms, field exercises, and the mess.
Talking about killing them... inappropriate.

Personally, I find it offensive. Sure I'm as pissed off as you are that
people rape children.  But unless you are some criminal court expert,
a forensic expert, a rehabilitation expert, or in this matter, any
type of expert, then i suggest your opinion is simply that.

And, opinions shouldn't ALWAYS be expressed.  And in this case,
just cause a few of you agree doesn't make it right. 

Your outrage is justified.  Your behavior is not.

Smarten up.

I rarely give speeches...  i offer points of view.
Today.. is speech day.  Think long and hard if you want to reply.

I'm not offering my opinion on this.
I'm telling you as a chaplain this behavior is wrong and needs to stop in this forum.
Take it somewhere else.

edit. spelling

Thank you Padre, I think we can close this one after your summation.  If someone really thinks they can make a case for continuance, they can appeal to a Moderator.

I would like to point out, that this comment:
Trinity said:
Your outrage is justified.  Your behavior is not.
sounds a lot like the point that keep getting brought forward in relation to a certain international matter.

Thank you.

Michael
Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back