• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WW1 the CEF

L

larryb

I am looking for some information or a pointer on how to get it hopefully someone maybe able to help.
I have located my grandfather‘s WW1 CEF attestation papers on the net and have ordered a copy of his military record. However written across the attestation document is ‘45th Battalion‘ but when I look up this battalion in Nicholson‘s history of the CEF there is no reference at all. In his obituary it says that he served in the ‘45th Highlanders‘ and overseas for 4 years, but obits are notoriously inaccurate. Does anybody know if the 45th Battalion existed or where I might find the information on it. He lived in Manitoba when he joined so I thought it might have something to do with the Manitoba regiment but have had no luck there either.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Please email me directly at larryb@direct.ca

Larry

:hi this is reg1 i could not find enything on the 45th highlanders. but i think you are maybe getting mixed up with the manitoba regiment. the manitoba reg. (the 45th infantry battalian) never served in france because when it mobilized in july 1st 1915, it sailed only in march 1916. it arrived in england with a strength of 38 officers and 720 other ranks (commanding officer "l.col.f.j. clarke. now remember like most of the numbered battalians, the 45th was sent to a reserve battalian. the 11th.now it is possible that he was transferd to a highland battalian in francebut not the 45th. i wish i could see those papers. i hope that i helped just a little bit. my address is reg1@nb.sympatico.ca give me a shout

The WWI CEF consisted of 260 Inf Bns, most of which were fed into the reinforcement of the 50 CEF front line Bns. (For example, the 45th Bn from Manitoba was absorbed by the 11th Reserve Bn in England and used to reinforce the 16th, 27th and 43rd Bn in France.) The 43rd is of interest, because it was a highland battalion, the Cameron Highlanders of Winnipeg. It is also possible that the confusion between 43 and 45 is the result that he enlisted with one and had his active service with the other. The 48th Highlanders served in WWI as the 15th Bn CEF.

This may be unrelated, but I have a photo of someone from around the time of the first world war. If I can identity the Regimental Dress, then I can know that it is a particular individual and his parents, I think it was of the Manitoba Regiment. Can any of you help; or put me in touch with someone who can?

Gregor

N.Gregor Macgregor
www.gregormacgregor.com
0777 1717 086

Larry Bertoia said:
I am looking for some information or a pointer on how to get it hopefully someone maybe able to help.
I have located my grandfather's WW1 CEF attestation papers on the net and have ordered a copy of his military record. However written across the attestation document is '45th Battalion' but when I look up this battalion in Nicholson's history of the CEF there is no reference at all. In his obituary it says that he served in the '45th Highlanders' and overseas for 4 years, but obits are notoriously inaccurate. Does anybody know if the 45th Battalion existed or where I might find the information on it. He lived in Manitoba when he joined so I thought it might have something to do with the Manitoba regiment but have had no luck there either.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Please email me directly at larryb@direct.ca

Larry

gregormacgregor, how about a link to the photo? Someone on the boards may be able to help, or refer it to someone who can.

Larry Bertoia, do you have any other indication of what units your grandfather may have served in after the 11th Reserve Battalion (assuming he did go from the 45th Bn  to the 11th Reserve Bn)? What is impressed on the lower edge of his medals (if you have them)? Do you have any period photos that may allow identification of the uniform or badges he was wearing any time during the war?

From the sources I have at hand it does not appear that the 45th Bn CEF is perpetuated by any existing regiment, and it does not appear to have had a highland background. Perhaps over the years references to his original unit of attestation and the unit if ended up fighting with have become blurred and combined. As noted by Bill Alexander the 11 Reserve Battalion reinforced the 43rd (as well as the 16th) which are both units with highland traditions.

Mike

I can solve the 45th Bn question - please reply via email link and I will contact you -

Back