• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yet another pilot thread

Pilot's Girl, what kind of professional background/expertise do you have that would lead you to make such a statement?  There are pros and cons to PRK and LASIK, and the preferred choice depends on each individual case.  For instance, there is a greater risk of halos and hazing if you go the PRK route, but there is no flap to deal with.  LASIK heals faster, there are no steroidal drops you needs to use, but there is a chance (minute) that the flap MAY be disturbed (only cases I have heard of were through blunt force, and caused more damage than just opening the flap anyway).  But some people don't have a thick enough cornea, so they may are better suited for PRK....The list goes on and on.  Point is, when it comes to laser eye surgery it needs to be analysed on a case-by-bcase basis as to which procedure would be preferred for a patient.

And he's in the very early stages of the Pilot Profession - neither of you are exactly experts in either field.

Loachman, that was my point exactly.  At no point do I profess to be an expert in the field, and as such I make no broad statements as to which one is better.  I have read the CANFORGEN that permitted laser eye surgery for pilots and the related medical standards, and I followed them exactly when I went for the surgery.  As such, my eyesight now more than meets the minimum visual requirements for a pilot in the CF, which was the biggest concern for me.  As for which procedure I had done, I made that decision based on my personal circumstances and with the advice of the surgeon.  My only point is that which procedure is "best" depends on the case.  That's why both are still practiced,  unlike the old RK method. 

Cheers.

Sorry, I was not referring to you, but to Proud_AF_Pilots_Girl and her boyfriend.

I should have been more clear.

Anyway, Proud_AF_Pilots_Girl, while I'm in the mood for clarifying things, I am not intending anything negative to you there, but just pointing out that you and your boyfriend have a lot to learn yet. Good luck, though.

Back