• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yoda Stars in Viideo to Help CAN Troops Deal with Stress

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Could this be referring to this?

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Yoda to help Canadian troops overcome phantom menace of stress
Steven Chase, Globe & Mail, 10 Feb 09
Article link

OTTAWA — The Canadian military is evoking the wisdom of the green, pint-sized Yoda character from Star Wars for a video it's creating to give soldiers returning from Afghanistan tips on coping with the psychological scars of combat zones.

The video production effort comes just months after the Canadian Forces ombudsman criticized the military for failing to meet the "operational stress" problems of soldiers.

Military brass have decided to offer soldiers do-it-yourself methods for soothing the mental ills of battle because "the stigma currently associated with operational stress prevents many people from consulting" professional help.

The production, being shot at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, will ask soldiers to reach deep inside themselves to fight for their mental health.

"And once we have discovered that strength, we feel even stronger. Yoda was right: if you believe, you will achieve," the proposed script says.

One of Yoda's most famous scenes in the Star Wars movies features the Jedi master counselling hero Luke Skywalker to raise a spaceship from swampy waters using his mind.

Skywalker complains that he may be able to levitate rocks but can't lift his X-wing fighter. "Only different in your mind," Yoda tells him in his fractured English, and uses telekinesis to bring the ship out of the muck.

"I don't believe it," Skywalker says.

"That is why you fail," Yoda replies.

The video is intended to fill a gap in the post-deployment phase of soldiers' careers - the first two to four months back in Canada after a rotation in a theatre of operations. "Certain steps can be taken by Canadian Forces members themselves, their chain of command and their life partners before mental health counselling is sought," the military says in a contract tender for the video.

The production will feature different techniques for coping with feelings including "disidentification," which helps soldiers prevent emotions from overwhelming them.

"There is anger in me, but I am not that anger. I am more than that," a soldier says in the script.

In December, Forces ombudsman Mary McFadyen took the Defence Department to task for failing to implement more than half the recommendations for coping with operational stress that her predecessor made in 2002.

"It has also become evident that the Canadian Forces and ... members are strained almost to the breaking point," she said in her report.

I am a little confused with the article maybe cause I am just a civy . But after I read it I am almost angry about it .  Our Brave men and women risk their life in service to our country and if they get Post Traumatic Stress this is part of the help that they are going to get ?  That's almost border line insulting to them in my book .  I really really hope that they are getting more help than a little green character from Star Wars telling them do or do not .

I do find some merit it this as a tool for school aged children that have gone through a traumatic event but, for the Army (CBT Arms)......

If they would have shown this at the TLD I was on, mayhem probably would have ensued.

Ok, testing... Has anyone of the good idea fairies who thought up this concept thought about doing concept testing? This is an example of marketing by "good idea", such campaigns ALWAYS fail... And everyone stands around picking their noses wondering why.

If there is product testing data that supports this concept, I will get behind it 100%... But if your survey sample is less then 100 (100 would be a very small, and highly questionable even survey sample for our organisation) and in one geographic area, I would wonder about the intellectual capabilites of the person with this good idea.

Back