Author Topic: Class Action Suit against NVC & "Govt has no obligation to soldiers"  (Read 186480 times)

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
The issue with deriving it from pensions and then dropping down is that really covers only the economic cost of disability (and fails to account for the lost career growth of someone disabled as a 22 year old Cpl). It does not take into account pain and suffering, which civilian disability awards do look at. They're arguing that an injured soldier should be treated equitably to an injured bank teller or power technician, who would see far more if hurt on the job.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Picking up on Brihard's last point, and I can't recall if someone else touched on this, but...

In most cases, not just the severely disabled veterans, the method of injury which rendered said soldier disabled is a tad different than the typical civilian method of injury.
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
Picking up on Brihard's last point, and I can't recall if someone else touched on this, but...

In most cases, not just the severely disabled veterans, the method of injury which rendered said soldier disabled is a tad different than the typical civilian method of injury.

Risk.....

I am McLovin

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

Yes... Though I would argue that that is not particularly pertinent it's the diagnosis and prognosis that mater, and those are objectively medical determinations.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
Re: Class Action Suit against NVC & "Govt has no obligation to soldiers"
« Reply #379 on: September 02, 2016, 14:08:39 »
CALGARY – The lawyer for Canadian veterans involved in a legal battle with the federal government says the Department of Veterans Affairs is playing politics with his clients.

Don Sorochan said Thursday that Minister Kent Hehr is not standing by his party’s promise in the last election to re-establish lifelong pensions for veterans.

Hehr, who was in Calgary Thursday, said his government is moving forward as quickly as it can to do that.

READ MORE: Feds finalizing plan to house homeless veterans

The legal action was launched in B.C. Supreme Court in 2012 by six severely disabled veterans over changes made to their compensation six years earlier.

The federal government replaced lifelong pensions with lump-sum payments, upsetting veterans, who argued they deserved disability payments on par with workers’ compensation.

Efforts by the federal government to have the case thrown out were dismissed, which led to an appeal.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2917363/lawyer-for-veterans-says-liberals-not-living-up-to-election-promise/?sf34947077=1

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #380 on: September 07, 2016, 23:00:28 »
So has anyone hearing a date for the case to be opens again, other than the end of summer holidays?

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2016, 06:56:57 »
http://globalnews.ca/news/2917363/lawyer-for-veterans-says-liberals-not-living-up-to-election-promise/?sf34947077=1

The thing the low info voters don't understand is that the government is always the same government regardless of which political sorority is voted to head the government.  Bureaucrats rule government, when they are not allowed too, they turn on government; leaks of embarrassing info, slow program development, strikes, and outright sabotage.  So the bureaucrats don't support the vets as a policy.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:23 »
So the bureaucrats don't support the vets as a policy.
Which is why it's up to the politicians to make the decision to spend the money needed to get bureaucrats to do what the politicians think is right.  Yeah, I know about "Yes, Minister" ways to slow things down, but if the elected body politic decided to spend what's needed on vets, it would happen.  Methinks government of ANY stripe is worried about this because of the massive $ it could cost, money that couldn't be spent on other proimses.

I understand this government seems sincere in seeking input from those in the know about how the system should change (and wouldn't mind hearing from anyone more in the know if there's anything new to share on this front), but when it comes time to govern and decide, we'll see what the priority is.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #383 on: September 28, 2016, 14:21:04 »
Morally, I think it stinks. But I may be biased  [:D

However, fiduciary-ily speaking, as the government of the day, I don't think they really have a choice. If this goes through, it is going to cost the country $billions over time for a relatively small portion of the populace. As Lightguns says above, the exec level runs the show and this may be being done just to appease a very influential group who's main priority is protecting the public purse from anything they do not "value."

How the rest of the country values the contributions of vets, as a group, is key here. If enough people actually complained about the resistance to the lawsuit, it might be dropped, but I am going to guess that not many Joe and Jane Canuck either: a) know about it; or b) care about it. Most people are far more worried about the price of bread and gas than they are about some Army guy (who they feel bad for) getting only $75,000 lump sum instead of a monthly pension.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #384 on: November 13, 2016, 23:11:07 »
The Equitas Society had a fund raising dinner the other night and did very well.

For those without Facebook this comes from Aaron Bedard who is a plaintiff with what sounds like good news to come.

Results of the Equitas Fundraiser is we've made another $10k at last nights dinner on top of the $1k I raised with tshirts on 11.11. This has been an excellent 11.11. I'm not hung over. I'm not out of control in any way. Wife's coming back from visiting moms and dinners cookin. We can now start getting excited about Christmas and winter pursuits and hobbies.
I just got some major important news from our lawyer Don that felt like a mountain lifted off my head. I'll announce it as soon as I'm allowed.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #385 on: November 13, 2016, 23:30:26 »
Aaron's been a friend of mine for a bit over a year now. He really gives everything he's got to this, and I can't believe the tenacity he shows.

He announced today that Don Sorokin, the lead counsel, will be staying with this one case, despite retirement. They have also added a new lawyer to the team, one Andrew Hentz, recently called to the bar, previously an RCR officer with two Kandahar tours. Someone who gets it.

Last I talked with Aaron, they expect a ruling soon that will allow the case to go to trial. Still a long haul ahead, but the team is staying strong.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2016, 11:16:57 »
Thought I would put this here for those that don't have Facebook this comes from the Equitas FB page.

Re: O'Toole unveils vets platform, breaks from Harper policy on pension lawsuit/question
The Agreement provided that the federal government would drop their appeal, specifically it stated:
(a)The Defendant will, with the consent of the Plaintiffs/Respondents, abandon the appeal in Court of Appeal File No: CA041232 on a without costs basis or, if necessary, seek leave to abandon the appeal with the consent of the Plaintiffs without costs to any Party;
However, the Abeyance Agreement did not require us to drop the litigation. When advised of the "appeal abandonment" provision in the Abeyance Agreement, the Court of Appeal was of the view that if the litigation were to continue before the trial court after the abeyance period expired (on May 15, 2016) the constitutional issues argued before the court would have to be decided in that court proceeding anyway. In these circumstances (where there was no settlement of the whole action) it made more sense for the Court of Appeal to render its decision on those constitutional issues. .
It should be remembered that, based upon the conciliatory approach adopted by Minister O'Toole and the statements in Parliament by senior representatives of all parties, it was reasonably anticipated that the entire lawsuit could be resolved.
The Court of Appeal's refusal to permit the abandonment of the appeal by the Federal Government should not be interpreted as an endorsement of what the present Minister has done when his counsel invited the Court of Appeal to render judgment on the basis of the "Fantino Position" as argued in December of 2014 without advising the Court of the changed positions of the Government and Parliament as reflected in amendments to the legislation, the "Social Covenant" resolution of Parliament and the positions of all political parties as stated in Parliament and during the election campaign.
DONALD J. SOROCHAN, Q.C.
Counsel
Miller Thomson LLP
Robson Court, 1000-840 Howe Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 2M1
Direct Line: +1 604.643.1214
Cell: +1 604.488.4731
Fax: +1 604.643.1200
Email: dsorochan@millerthomson.com
millerthomson.com

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:26 »
Class Action Suit against NVC & "Govt has no obligation to soldiers"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-forgive-student-loans-again-1.3982728

For the second year in a row the federal government is writing off millions in student loans it will never collect, this time to the tune of $178.4 million.

The money represents 32,554 loans that federal officials believe they will never be able to collect, either because a debtor may have filed for bankruptcy, the debt itself has passed a six-year legal limit on collection, or the debtor can't be found.

Last year, the government wrote off 33,967 loans totalling $176 million.

Meanwhile, over at VAC sloooowly fighting tooth and nail each file ..................
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2017, 20:15:48 »
So is the class action still on going? Haven't seen an update or even a comment!

cowboy628

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2017, 20:33:01 »
They are still waiting on the Judges decision. Until then nothing can move forward. Here is an interview that was recently done with the President of Equitas society and the Veterans lawyer Don Sorochan.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jon-mccomb-show/veteran-advocacy-group-not-happy-with-federal-budg#sharing

Also check out the Equitas website it has been updated.

http://www.equitassociety.ca

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2017, 21:12:31 »
Thx. It was thought a decision you come early in the new year. Guess that was a little optimistic.
cowboy628