Author Topic: Iraq in Crisis- Merged Superthread  (Read 176874 times)

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Re: Iraq in Crisis- Merged Superthread
« Reply #450 on: October 17, 2016, 10:15:24 »
If that happens the real losers will be the civilian population.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/17/middleeast/mosul-isis-operation-begins-iraq/

As always, they're the poor bastards who get it in the neck.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #451 on: October 23, 2016, 09:01:18 »
This appears to be a bit of a bolt out of the blue ...
Parliament in Iraq has voted to ban the sale, import and production of alcohol, with backers of the move arguing that its availability contradicts Islam and is unconstitutional.

Opponents argue that the vote infringes constitutional guarantees of freedom of religious belief for minority groups such as Christians.

They say they will appeal against the surprise decision in the courts.

An official said that the ban was a last-minute move by conservatives.

Since the fall of Saddam Hussein, activities perceived to be contrary to the moral code of Islam have come under repeated attack, with alcohol shops targeted in Baghdad and other cities.

While alcohol is not commonly found in restaurants and hotels in Iraq, correspondents say its consumption is relatively widespread in the scores of small shops and bars in Baghdad.

Correspondents say the new law has been passed at a time when attention is focused on the battle to wrest control of Mosul from the militant group known as Islamic State ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #452 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:32 »
Well, who would have seen that coming?

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #453 on: October 23, 2016, 12:33:36 »
Well, who would have seen that coming?

Surely not I.   ::)
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #454 on: October 23, 2016, 13:22:40 »
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #455 on: October 30, 2016, 08:54:04 »
Alcohol ban law firing alright, law - STOPS!
Iraqi President Fuad Masoum has refused to approve the law banning alcohol which has recently been passed by the parliament.

Ameer Kinani, an advisor to the Iraqi president, said in a press conference that after the bill of prohibiting alcohol was passed by the Iraqi parliament, it was sent to the Iraqi president for approval. The president, however, has refused to approve the law, he said, noting that the president is defending the rights and freedom of the Iraqi people as prescribed in the federal constitution.

The Iraqi parliament passed a law on October 22 which prohibits the import, production and sales of alcoholic beverages. The law however angered many in the country’s Christian community who rely on the business ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: November 03, 2016, 11:56:35 »
French Army Caesar artillery battery supporting Mosul operation as part of TF Wagram..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-mosul-french-guns-back-iraqi-forces-163257942.html

"We are providing permanent support to the Iraqi troops, 24 hours a day," says Captain Alexandre, whose full name is being withheld for security reasons.

The captain is in charge of five CAESAR artillery vehicles -- trucks mounted with eight-metre-long 155mm howitzers, which have been deployed previously on French military operations in Afghanistan and Mali.

The guns are each operated by five soldiers and can fire up to six times a minute.

"We have different types of munitions: explosives that can neutralise or destroy; but also that can light up the battlefield or blind with a curtain of smoke," the captain says.

About 100 French troops have been deployed since early September as part of the task force, mainly from artillery units.

Its commander, Colonel Benoit, says the name of the task force is especially appropriate.

"Wagram is a reference to the Napoleonic battle of 1809, a victory in which the use of artillery was decisive and which was won by the Grande Armee, which was also a coalition," the colonel says.

The French soldiers are based at Qayyarah, which lies about 60 kilometres (40 miles) south of Mosul and is the main staging point for the southern front.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #457 on: November 06, 2016, 12:30:24 »
Looks like we'll have quite a while to figure this all out:

BBC: UK ambassador - Gulf crisis 'could last 10-15 years'

https://www.iiss.org/en/expert%20commentary/blogsections/2015-23ef/february-9d08/gulf-crisis-could-last-10-15-years-d803
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: November 06, 2016, 12:51:05 »
BBC: UK ambassador - Gulf crisis 'could last 10-15 years'
Sounds like a bit of an optimist.  ;)
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2016, 02:06:31 »
Few more recent developments. 

Iraqi Shi’ite militias [PMF] say offensive toward Tal Afar started

ISIL captures Iraq town of Rutba as Mosul battle rages

Iraqi Forces Battle ISIS in Western Town, Far From Mosul

* Rutba or Ar Ruthbah is in Western Anbar, basically SW of Al Qaim in the middle of BFN.  Primarily Sunni area.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2016, 09:21:26 »
Hoping to make it a diversion?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2016, 16:15:21 »
Ya - there, Kirkuk, a few smaller actions too...

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #462 on: December 27, 2016, 23:54:51 »
Interesting article in the New Yorker - apparently the Mosul dam was built on soluble rock, so there's a constant stream of concrete poured into the foundation to keep it stable.  Allegedly US diplomats reported “Mosul Dam faces a serious and unprecedented risk of catastrophic failure with little warning”.

Full article at: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/02/a-bigger-problem-than-isis
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2017, 09:46:56 »
Let's go Canada... with at least an armoured Division +  :tank2:

Why Canada has a major role to play in rebuilding Iraq

As the fight for western Mosul continues, with thousands of troops massed on the Tigris River bank, Brig. Gen. David Anderson, the Canadian senior officer in the coalition headquarters in Baghdad tells Maclean’s, “What happens here affects the rest of the world. Iraq is the focal point of a conflict between a violent extremism and a regional approach. It’s a geopolitical game. Taking Daesh, a truly evil enemy, out is having a big impact on their ability in the rest of the world. By stopping them here, we’re stopping the ISIL-inspired attacks elsewhere.”

http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/why-canada-has-a-major-role-to-play-in-rebuilding-iraq/

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:51 »
Thanks for that one.