Author Topic: Pork Barrel Alert  (Read 5024 times)

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Pork Barrel Alert
« on: August 24, 2016, 17:00:04 »
I'm not saying "Pork Barreling" per se, in this instance but it does lead me to observe that there have been any number of outings of the present Government in Power Ministerial spending outrages as of late.  I expect the trend will continue in both the HoC and Senate on all sides as this will no doubt turn into a crap show, again.

As I say, maybe not "Pork Barreling", but someone in the PMO is playing games with manifests for Challenger rides.  Poor, poor, optics.

Trudeau nanny, in-laws removed from Challenger flight manifest of family's Caribbean vacation

Prime Minister's Office initially refused to say which passengers accompanied PM on government jet

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/flight-manifest-trudeau-st-kitts-1.3732608

We really need to get a pig at the trough emogi for our elected members who are feeding at it with abandon once more...

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
Re: Pork Barrel Alert
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 17:17:32 »
I think todays politicians are operating 20 years behind times when it was much easier to hide wasteful spending. Sooner or later, Canadians will get sick of this and HOPEFULLY not vote "good hair cuts" back into office...
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 17:31:43 »
I hope it continues, I hope it reaches Ontario levels.  Then this crowd will be gone and the whole progressive crowd with them. Then the nation can be changed.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 17:05:30 »
I hope it continues, I hope it reaches Ontario levels.  Then this crowd will be gone and the whole progressive crowd with them. Then the nation can be changed.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

We can only dream..
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 19:09:43 »
Just wondering, but does it really cost us anything whether they were on the flight or not?

I'm guessing if you have the job of being a nanny for the leader of a G8 country, you are probably on salary.  You probably aren't working for $12 an hour, hoping to get a solid 40hrs a week.

And the plane is going where it is going, regardless of whether there is an extra passenger or two.  Can't imagine either of them are fat enough to effect jet fuel consumption by all that much.

Would it really cost the taxpayer any money, if those individuals went or didn't go?

Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 19:15:00 »
Were the tickets reimbursed? Why should we be giving up seats in government aircraft to family members? Why is the nanny going on their vacation?

Like a $18 orange juice, its the appearance of impropriety. Except this is a multi-thousand dollar flight with absolutely 0 nexus to government business. The PM can't fly commercial, his in-laws can. The only people on that plane should have been government workers and aircrew, not people trying to avoid lines at airport security.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 19:37:15 »
I can see the nanny as staff, but not the In-Laws. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:31 »
We have Christmas flights every year that fly members and their families around the country for free, nobody asks if who is paying for that. On a flight that is open to non duty passengers, dependants can fly for free anywhere the airplane is going, we don't reimburse the crown. It is the same taxpayers' money. This, in my opinion, is something that should be a non story.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:40:36 »
We have Christmas flights every year that fly members and their families around the country for free, nobody asks if who is paying for that. On a flight that is open to non duty passengers, dependants can fly for free anywhere the airplane is going, we don't reimburse the crown. It is the same taxpayers' money. This, in my opinion, is something that should be a non story.

Is there no longer a nominal $10 fee (or some updated fee) for insurance purposes?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 09:45:02 »

:goodpost:

The Liberals aren't the first government to have a controversy about free rides....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/why-mackays-helicopter-ride-touches-a-nerve-in-newfoundland/article4180043/

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 09:45:37 »

Agreed.

Just don't let TB know about those flights. They'll start making us pay fair market rate for taking business away from Air Canada.
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:30 »

Agreed.  And CAF members would be the first to cry out about losing benefits and what not.  This is indeed a non story.
Optio

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:35 »
Perhaps, but how many of them CAF xmas flights drop you off at private resorts on sunny islands?
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:41:54 »
If the manifest was readily available and hadn't been redacted it would indeed be a non-story with regards the nanny.  But when something is concealed it implies that the concealor is trying to smoke one by those who are watching.  At the very least, it is a dumb move and simply opens the government up to questions and ridicule.  With respect to the in-laws that is something entirely different.  They do not belong. 

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 11:01:59 »
They'll start making us pay fair market rate for taking business away from Air Canada.
And then our Loadies will have to be equally miserable and unattractive.....    :whistle:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:08 »
And then our Loadies will have to be equally miserable and unattractive.....    :whistle:

Well, if our flight attendant posting was a full trade, we'd end up like the RAAF with their Crew Attendants on 33 and 34 Sqns:

Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 11:25:23 »
I can see the nanny as staff, but not the In-Laws.

That's funny, George: I see it exactly in the reverse.

As far as the in-laws are concerned, there is room on the plane and as long as they pay economical fare, like the PM and his wife and kids, I see no problem with that as they are vacationing together (in fact, as long as everybody pays commercial fare, and considering that the PM must travel that way, it makes more money for the government for that particular flight, so actually a plus, not a minus.

The nanny, on the other hand, is federal employee, hired at taxpayer's expense specifically to look after the kids if and when the PM and his wife are both required for official public duties (not of the PM's wife to have a personal job - in which case she should pay for the nanny). They are not required to attend any such duties during their holiday - so the nanny's presence has no other function than their personal convenience (romantic supper without the kids?). They should pay for that convenience and if her salary is fixed pay, you then do an apportionment and charge them for the service.

After all, when they are on holiday is when the nanny should also be on her holiday. Otherwise, when she wants to take her holidays, we end up paying for a temp replacement over and above her cost. That's how people that have nannies usually work: we go on holiday - you go on holiday.

Well, if our flight attendant posting was a full trade, we'd end up like the RAAF with their Crew Attendants on 33 and 34 Sqns:

Actually, Dimsum, we used to have flight attendants as a trade in the CAF when the Air Force operated the service flights on Boeings 707. And they were not bad looking people.  ;D

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 20:52:32 »
Bit of a tangent, but if they pay general tariffs does that mean they have to pay for each checked bag?  And do they get one of those teeny little seats and have to pay for their food and blankets and things just like us?

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 08:46:57 »
Actually, Dimsum, we used to have flight attendants as a trade in the CAF when the Air Force operated the service flights on Boeings 707. And they were not bad looking people.  ;D

I remberember them but they never looked that good. And OMG if you ever called one of them by any thing but rank or flight attendant Smith you wore your box lunch.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53