Author Topic: Public servant steals nearly $1 million in computer parts from DND  (Read 4934 times)

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Public servant steals nearly $1 million in computer parts from DND

A former federal public servant who stole nearly $1 million in computer parts from the Department of National Defence and sold some of them on the classified website Kijiji has pleaded guilty to fraud and breach of trust.

Andrew Heggaton, 33, was a civilian member of the Canadian Forces Crypto Support Unit when he ordered the hard drives, motherboards, processors and graphics cards he would later steal over a four-year period between June 2011 and March 2015

More at link.  I remember when he was a CAF member.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/12/05/public-servant-steals-nearly-1-million-in-computer-parts-from-dnd
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline ArmyVern

in Ottawa.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Public servant steals nearly $1 million in computer parts from DND
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:53:41 »

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/12/05/public-servant-steals-nearly-1-million-in-computer-parts-from-dnd

Well look at that.   ;)

There's a Section 32 and Section 34 signature verification fail.  So, he ordered and scribbled signatures, but who put the actual procurement into the system of record and actioned it based upon "scribbles"?  Him?  Hire an actual sup tech dammit - after all, it IS what they do....   

Note:  I'm getting the "him?" from this comment in the article:

On Jan. 27, 2015 — four months after his employers first questioned him about a suspicious order — the CFCSU received an invoice from another supplier for the purchase of Intel Core i7 processors that was never logged as being received.

"That invoice was reviewed in the presence of Mr. Heggaton, who began acting in a way that is described as 'weird', stating that it must of been a mistake due to the year-end rush and he would look into it," said Lee-Shanok.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 13:01:06 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 13:34:47 »
Well look at that.   ;)

There's a Section 32 and Section 34 signature verification fail.  So, he ordered and scribbled signatures, but who put the actual procurement into the system of record and actioned it based upon "scribbles"?  Him?  Hire an actual sup tech dammit - after all, it IS what they do....   

Not trying to be a smart *** here but how many supply techs are there to go around?  And at what rank level? Honest question...
Optio

Offline ArmyVern

in Ottawa.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 13:43:51 »
Not trying to be a smart *** here but how many supply techs are there to go around?  And at what rank level? Honest question...

It's a civilian posn; hire an ex-sup tech to do procurement.  Just sayin'.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 14:00:06 »

Not enough...but this is a great civilian posn.  Actually two civilian posns, one for procurement and the other for invoicing.

It honestly sounds like a case of bad process(es) to be able to defraud that much.

Hope is not a valid COA

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 20:23:14 »

Was he a Supply Tech?  That would answer some of the questions asked so far.

Interesting to see that this is another multi-million dollar theft of computers in the NCR.  You would think that there would have been some lessons learned a decade ago when a similar theft was done.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 20:40:41 »
The prior fraud was for services never delivered, not for actual hardware.  There are underlying issues that are similar (inadequate internal controls, or a failure to observe internal controls), but the nature of the frauds is different.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 20:48:25 »
The prior fraud was for services never delivered, not for actual hardware.  There are underlying issues that are similar (inadequate internal controls, or a failure to observe internal controls), but the nature of the frauds is different.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/champagne-wishes/
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ArmyVern

in Ottawa.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 22:53:57 »

He was not.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:34 »
Apparently had an addiction, which might explain why he continued to defraud them, even though they had questioned his purchases already.

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 18:05:41 »

Interesting to see that this is another multi-million dollar theft of computers in the NCR.  You would think that there would have been some lessons learned a decade ago when a similar theft was done.
Scuttlebutt is he is a former signaller, and abused the lack of oversight into his job.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 18:39:33 »
Scuttlebutt is he is a former signaller, and abused the lack of oversight into his job.
Yes he was Sigs
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
"Prison for DND employee who stole nearly $1M in computers"
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 14:58:38 »
The latest:
A former DND employee and Canadian Forces soldier whose $400-a-day cocaine addiction led to the theft of nearly $1 million in computer parts from the federal government was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison Friday.

And if 33-year-old Andrew Heggaton doesn’t pay back the $966,933.82 the Intel core processors, hard drives, motherboards, and graphics cards were worth within the next eight years, he could be sentenced to another three years of prison time.

Ontario Court Justice Heather Perkins-McVey said the fraud had a “significant impact” on the Canadian Forces Crypto Support Unit where Heggaton once worked, leaving its IT network on the verge of collapsing and seriously affecting the unit’s capacity to function.

“This is not a victimless crime,” Perkins-McVey told Heggaton during the sentencing. “This is the type of offence that erodes the public trust.”

Heggaton pleaded guilty to fraud, trafficking in property obtained by crime and breach of trust by a public officer after stealing the computer parts over a four-year period between 2011 and March 2015. Some of the computer parts were sold by Heggaton on the Internet classified site Kijiji.

Heggaton told a probation officer who prepared a pre-sentence report for the court that drug addiction fuelled the thefts. Heggaton, who had been a soldier in the Canadian Forces for eight years between 2001 and 2009, had begun using illicit drugs during a seven-month tour in Afghanistan in 2003.

The drug use began spiralling out of control once he returned to Canada, and he started using magic mushrooms, ecstasy, speed and cocaine. Heggaton has since attended some Narcotics Anonymous meetings, but has made no effort to attend formal drug addiction counselling, the judge said ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 20:17:08 »
Legit question here....how does one pay back a huge sum of $$ like that, when 3.5 years of that time will be in prison?  Almost seems set up to fail - may as well have just sentenced him to the 7yrs right off the bat.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 20:22:03 »
Stealing $1M of taxpayers money and snorting it?  Ya I agree.  THEN make him work to pay it back.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 20:46:02 »
I don't feel sorry for him.

Offline Log Offr

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 23:20:41 »
On the bright side, him and most others like him get caught. It's not as though the system is broken and open for abuse. It can just take longer to figure out that abuse is happening.

Much of this is a direct result of downsizing and the various strategic efficiency projects over the years. Fewer layers of bureaucracy are great for effectiveness and productivity, but the downside is that it concentrates responsibility for execution into fewer hands. Supervisors for many functions either don't exist or don't have the capacity or time to manage all elements of their responsibility, so a smart, experienced and slimy staffer can run amok for a period of time without his bosses knowing something is amiss. Spot checks, attention to detail (although, good luck) and a formal audit process are the best defence these days.

Offline c_canuk

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:18 »
On the bright side, him and most others like him get caught. It's not as though the system is broken and open for abuse. It can just take longer to figure out that abuse is happening.

Much of this is a direct result of downsizing and the various strategic efficiency projects over the years. Fewer layers of bureaucracy are great for effectiveness and productivity, but the downside is that it concentrates responsibility for execution into fewer hands. Supervisors for many functions either don't exist or don't have the capacity or time to manage all elements of their responsibility, so a smart, experienced and slimy staffer can run amok for a period of time without his bosses knowing something is amiss. Spot checks, attention to detail (although, good luck) and a formal audit process are the best defence these days.

If you are claiming procurement has a lack of bureaucracy, I disagree.

I've seen the supply system open up to untraceable abuses specifically because further layers of bureaucracy were added.

It comes down to the direct supervisors not the levels of middle men above. If the direct supervisor is doing his job, he would have been approving each and every purchase this individual made. However, since the supervisors are busy creating reports and filling out paperwork to justify routine purchases to people so isolated from daily operations they barely comprehend what's in them in the first place, the supervisors don't have as much time to do their jobs.

I expect the outcome of this is going to be yet another level of "checks and balances" that will take ever more time from the local supervisors, further isolating them from the day to day, making it easier for the corrupt to obfuscate purchases of this sort.

This wasn't caught by a high level of bureaucracy in puzzle palace, this was immediate supervisors finding time to look into his purchases and start asking questions. No level of paperwork will replace an attentive supervisor. Paperwork is fake-able, eyes on the ground, not so much. It doesn't matter how much of a paper trail you build, if the immediate supervisor is not doing their job you can't be sure the paperwork reflects reality and at that point it's useless time and resource suck. Either you can trust the people on the ground or you can't. If you can't no amount of paperwork will fix that.

Also, seeing as kit I needed in 2015 that was cancelled 3 months before the deadline due to lack of time, which was re ordered on the 1st of April 2016, has been cancelled yet again by SSC, I don't see how you can claim procurement has a lack of bureaucracy.

We've got too much and it's impacting operations. those at the high end of the CoC who think more paperwork and bureaucracy can fix everything need to consider it's only as reliable as the people churning it out.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 18:36:07 »
had begun using illicit drugs during a seven-month tour in Afghanistan in 2003.

What a piece of crap.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 20:13:31 »
What is interesting isn't that he stole so much and was caught and punished, but to see what happens when other people do this. Anyone remember the case of Paul Champagne, who defrauded DND of $100 million, yet got off extremely lightly compared to this case (look at the proportionality of the sentencing)?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/former-dnd-employee-pleads-guilty-in-100m-fraud-scheme-1.640036
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Log Offr

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 23:49:04 »
If you are claiming procurement has a lack of bureaucracy, I disagree.

I've seen the supply system open up to untraceable abuses specifically because further layers of bureaucracy were added.

It comes down to the direct supervisors not the levels of middle men above. If the direct supervisor is doing his job, he would have been approving each and every purchase this individual made. However, since the supervisors are busy creating reports and filling out paperwork to justify routine purchases to people so isolated from daily operations they barely comprehend what's in them in the first place, the supervisors don't have as much time to do their jobs.

I expect the outcome of this is going to be yet another level of "checks and balances" that will take ever more time from the local supervisors, further isolating them from the day to day, making it easier for the corrupt to obfuscate purchases of this sort.

This wasn't caught by a high level of bureaucracy in puzzle palace, this was immediate supervisors finding time to look into his purchases and start asking questions. No level of paperwork will replace an attentive supervisor. Paperwork is fake-able, eyes on the ground, not so much. It doesn't matter how much of a paper trail you build, if the immediate supervisor is not doing their job you can't be sure the paperwork reflects reality and at that point it's useless time and resource suck. Either you can trust the people on the ground or you can't. If you can't no amount of paperwork will fix that.

Also, seeing as kit I needed in 2015 that was cancelled 3 months before the deadline due to lack of time, which was re ordered on the 1st of April 2016, has been cancelled yet again by SSC, I don't see how you can claim procurement has a lack of bureaucracy.

We've got too much and it's impacting operations. those at the high end of the CoC who think more paperwork and bureaucracy can fix everything need to consider it's only as reliable as the people churning it out.

Pretty sure that's what I said.

Offline c_canuk

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 16:16:42 »
Pretty sure that's what I said.

Broken? Yes it is imo, thoroughly broken. And the bureaucracy as I discussed above does not help catch them, it's part of the reason it took so long in the first place, imo.

Much of this is a direct result of downsizing and the various strategic efficiency projects over the years. Fewer layers of bureaucracy are great for effectiveness and productivity, but the downside is that it concentrates responsibility for execution into fewer hands.

I interpret this as stating the opposite opinion I hold: further layers of bureaucracy not only robs efficiency, it also consumes time supervisors could be using to check up on procurement substantiations. Layers of bureaucracy concentrate decision making with fewer people, further removed from actually understanding the real needs at the low end, and thus makes it easier for someone to run amok.

Supervisors for many functions either don't exist or don't have the capacity or time to manage all elements of their responsibility, so a smart, experienced and slimy staffer can run amok for a period of time without his bosses knowing something is amiss. Spot checks, attention to detail (although, good luck) and a formal audit process are the best defence these days.

Here I mainly agree with you, but these are the only methods that will work. They should be the primary method used. Layers of bureaucracy remove the supervisors ability to do them. Passing around piles of paper or emails with justifications to someone in another building in another level of organization create obfuscation that allows for these sorts of abuses.

The more bureaucracy you pile on the supervisors, the less time they have to verify. Therefore they have to trust more. For every hour a day of reports and substantiations crafted for the next level to compile, to pass up the next level to compile and so on, they have one hour less to actually do their job. Therefore they have to trust their employees more because they have less time to verify.

The hours a day I put into reports and returns to be compiled into increasingly meaningless fluff, to be passed up to satisfy the demands of ever increasing levels of bureaucracy so they can have "SA", is obscene. Especially since the information I need passed down to me seems to be a lower priority than collecting the fluff and everything ends up becoming a last minute emergency because the people holding the information don't have SA on why it's important, and don't have the ability to prioritize it correctly.

Provide me with direction and your vision, and accept my status reports. No I don't have the time or desire to enter metrics into a SharePoint excel sheet that's so devoid of details that it's essentially meaningless.

It's to the point that as long as enough fluff is compiled to make a pretty pie chart on a PowerPoint showing numbers getting bigger, any numbers, the higher is happy. No one seems to give a frig that our efficiency is down and it's getting harder to do our jobs.

Then something fails and whoops, here comes another level of bureaucracy to add more checks and balances in the form of spreadsheets, and to hold onto vital information for another day cycle before it gets passed down to me.

We are all on the same page why the Soviet Union fell right? It was too centralized to function. Without money offered to allow suppliers to asses demand, there had to be an omnipotent central organizational bureaucracy to manage supply and demand. Since people, especially in large groups with political in fighting are far from omnipotent, failure was the only possible outcome. Why are we not remembering this.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 15:13:18 »
Have him do pack drill at the gate in the morning and digging ditches in the afternoon, that will help cure the addiction and remind people of the consequences.