Author Topic: DEO first posting family relocation question  (Read 2370 times)

Offline myhusky

• Rate Post
DEO first posting family relocation question
« on: December 28, 2016, 14:22:48 »
Hello,

I'm not a CAF member yet, but hope to find some clarification on a few questions about family relocation.

My family (wife and three children) are living in Montreal where I have started a new job from June 2016. Before that we lived in Ontario. We are renting in Montreal and still owns our house in Ontario along with most of our household goods. We did not sell Ontario home because we will return to Ontario after couple years.

My CAF application has been transfered to Montreal from Barrie, Ontario. If i get a job offer ans enlisted at Montreal, my family might stay in Montreal until the first CAF paid move. will CAF pay for the move from Toronto to the first posting? We have very little House good in Montreal, but a lot more in Ontario.

Should my family move back to Ontario home once I'm enlisted? My goal is for CAF to cover the cost related to sell our home in Ontario, because Ontario is where our permanent home is.

Any information is appropriated!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: DEO first posting family relocation question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 14:40:19 »
See here: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch11.page

We have some real good admin folks here that can help out, but a quick read of the policy indicates that since you're enrolling in Montreal, that's where the CAF will pay to move your stuff from.

Online edlabonte

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 19:54:29 »
Good day,

The Moving Policy as far as i have ever known is what they call a "door to door" move.  So they will send the moving truck to ONE location to pick up your furniture and effects (F&E) and move them to a new location (your first posting).  So if your property is split between two locations, you should move your stuff to the "One Location" or be prepared to move things from the second location on your own dime. 

I've only done 3 moves in the last 8 years and that has been the policy for all of my moves. 

Be warned, these guys who plan the moves, are not big on "exceptions" so don't plan on it.  They follow the policy and that's that!

Good luck with the enrollment and Basic Training

Offline myhusky

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:05:15 »
If I get enlisted at Montreal, and my family will likely move back to Ontario during my training to be close with family friends, so the separation will be less stressful for my wife. In this case, there is nothing in Montreal to be moved. How will CAF handle this case?

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:29:35 »
I suspect the highlighted clause will come into play:

11.1.02 Move of (D)HG&E

When CF members become entitled to move their (D)HG&E they may move from:

• the location of LTS;
  • the residence that was occupied by CF members and/or their dependants prior to enrolment; or
  • any location, however, reimbursement shall be limited to the cost that would have been incurred had the CF members HG&E been relocated from their place of enrolment.

Relocation of HG&E will be from one location only.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:43:16 »
The real issue the OP is going to have is that while he can have his stuff moved from anywhere, the benefits for selling his house in Ontario will come into question. The rules are pretty specific about what constitutes a primary residence. It normally means where your dependants are residing on enrolment, (or in the case of follow on postings, from the place the CAF last provided a paid move). If the OP has his residence in Ontario rented out, then unless his family moves back into the home, and he gets his paperwork to note that is his primary residence, they may be out of luck.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 14:36:21 »
I agree with the above. I think the safest thing would be to move your family back to Barrie and have your primary residence declared as such. The out of pocket costs to move yourself, will be substantially less than you will lose by not moving back.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline myhusky

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 16:28:38 »
Thank you all for all the great info. I agree the safest bet is to move back to Ontario.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 17:38:20 »
Thank you all for all the great info. I agree the safest bet is to move back to Ontario.
Don't forget the second part, you will find the CAF is very paperwork oriented. Make sure they are aware your primary residence is Barrie, ON and that Montreal is only temporary for work.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 09:26:30 »
My goal is for CAF to cover the cost related to sell our home in Ontario, because Ontario is where our permanent home is.

See also,

OP: myhusky
How late in application process can file still be transferred?
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,124882.msg1470123.html#msg1470123
Is it ok if I move back to Ontario after accept job offer but before sware in?

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww