Author Topic: Dear Canada; an article we should all read and consider.  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Shrek1985

• Rate Post
http://www.everyjoe.com/2017/03/13/politics/kill-enemies-win/#1

Before you slam it as nonsense; take a look at the man's credentials and his other work.

Personally; I feel like the writing is on the wall, but I'd love to hear what other people think.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Dear Canada; an article we should all read and consider.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 17:25:55 »

Before you slam it as nonsense; take a look at the man's credentials and his other work.

Personally; I feel like the writing is on the wall, but I'd love to hear what other people think.
Good start:  "attributing" a quote to Prince Valiant, but footnoting waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom saying, "As far as I know and believe, the fool has never said this"

If you like the idea of another country under one leader running Canada's security, remember to think about what it would be like under a different leader you're not so happy with.  Just like that "values questionnaire" thing - great, as long as you agree with the values being asked about.
+300
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 17:35:39 »
Good start:  "attributing" a quote to Prince Valiant, but footnoting waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom saying, "As far as I know and believe, the fool has never said this"

If you like the idea of another country under one leader running Canada's security, remember to think about what it would be like under a different leader you're not so happy with.  Just like that "values questionnaire" thing - great, as long as you agree with the values being asked about.

It was more like footnote # 4 that made me regret wasting the time it took to read this.

+300
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 17:40:08 »
It was more like footnote # 4 that made me regret wasting the time it took to read this.

Not the People's Republic of Massachusetts?  I thought it was Fallout fan fiction for second there.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 19:08:18 »
Still, lots of poison in that boil.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 20:37:15 »

Methinks his 'credentials' are shot with this 'work'...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 20:46:33 »
Methinks his 'credentials' are shot with this 'work'...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to disagree with the title of this thread...I read the quotes and a few phrases.  The comments here should have been a warning. 
Optio

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 20:47:40 »
I suspect he is speaking for an awful lot of Americans, and Australians and Brits and Canadians and Danes, and, and, and, too.

See this column by former journalist, ex-NDP candidate and now teacher Michael Valpy. Mr Valpy is no right wing fanatic, but he "gets" the fear and anger that underlie much of the sentiment that gave us Brexit and Donald Trump and may give us Marine LePen, too.

Mr Kratman is just saying, only slightly more lucidly, what many, Many, MANY people believe. I think it is a mistake to ignore what he says and hide behind the (entirely false) premise that we, Canadians, are in any respect different from our American cousins.
+300
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 21:07:09 »
I suspect he is speaking for an awful lot of Americans, and Australians and Brits and Canadians and Danes, and, and, and, too.

See this column by former journalist, ex-NDP candidate and now teacher Michael Valpy. Mr Valpy is no right wing fanatic, but he "gets" the fear and anger that underlie much of the sentiment that gave us Brexit and Donald Trump and may give us Marine LePen, too.

Mr Kratman is just saying, only slightly more lucidly, what many, Many, MANY people believe. I think it is a mistake to ignore what he says and hide behind the (entirely false) premise that we, Canadians, are in any respect different from our American cousins.

Here's a thought.  Arguably the NDP is Canada's original populist party.  And that is one of the reasons that it has been offside with both the Liberals and the Tories.  I'm pretty sure that Preston Manning was not the first to utter the line "Liberal, Tory, Same old Story".

Burkean democracy works as long as Burke remembers that he can be replaced at the next election by someone whose judgement is valued better.
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 23:34:59 »
Canadians vote on style (hair included), and scandal, not on principle or substance.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:42 »
Canadians vote on style (hair included), and scandal, not on principle or substance.

A very old story. The Greek philosophers were very contemptuous of idea of Democracy, and Thucydides wrote very clearly of the dangers of Demagogues inflaming the masses and getting the Ekklēsía to vote for ill considered ideas (to the advantage of a particular Demagogue). The Res Publica Roma was an attempt to separate the masses from direct access to powe, as was the Republican structure of the Serenìsima Repùblica Vèneta and the government envisioned by the Founders of the United States.

Obviously they were on to something.......
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:35:42 »
The inverted pyramid model of government? Interesting.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 22:27:18 »
...but conveniently avoids the fact that his countrymen trained the 9-11 attackers on America's very own territory.  Protect America from the in-flow through Canadian airports and seaports?  Not if you guys are training them from within your own borders.

Popularist this guy may be, but that doesn't mean 175,000,000 of 350,000,000 Americans are right if their own Nation has some issues in the decades to come that are an "unforeseen" side-effect of the disassembly of large portions of current government.  The Confucians in Beijing may indeed only have to wait a couple more decades to see greatness crumble from its own arrogance.

As a last comment, interesting that he sees little to no place for one of the three sides of the Executive-Administrative-Legislative troika...intriguing that what the founding fathers saw as part of the structure of the Nation necessary to provide checks-and-balances to ensure the Constitution endured as intended are now evil black-robers who are eroding what the Executive and 49% of the people today want.

:2c:

G2G