Author Topic: Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )  (Read 713384 times)

Offline ericamccowan

• Rate Post
    • http://www.ericamccowan.me/
20-Metre Rushes, Improvement needed
« Reply #1075 on: October 12, 2016, 18:52:15 »
I am currently training for the FORCE test and am I can do the sandbag lift and the loaded shuttle in half the time required with more weight and higher lifts, however I cannot seem to get my 20-Metre Rushes times down below 51 seconds. My specific issue seems to be not getting up fast enough after slapping the ground.

When I am doing a rush do I have to step on the line then step back when going down, so that my hands are touching the line? Or can I go down and have my hands over the line, as long as my feet touch the line before I went down?

Does anyone have some specific advice on how to train for the rushes? I am already working on my running and my upper body strength but I do not feel this is helping me improve at the rushes.

Offline thematrixiam

• Rate Post
Re: 20-Metre Rushes, Improvement needed
« Reply #1076 on: October 12, 2016, 19:54:15 »

When I am doing a rush do I have to step on the line then step back when going down, so that my hands are touching the line? Or can I go down and have my hands over the line, as long as my feet touch the line before I went down?

Does anyone have some specific advice on how to train for the rushes? I am already working on my running and my upper body strength but I do not feel this is helping me improve at the rushes.

Check out this link

https://www.cfmws.com/en/AboutUs/PSP/DFIT/Fitness/FORCEprogram/Pages/FORCE_videos.aspx

It shows some good examples of what is expected.
For improvement I would work on breaking each aspect down into parts. More specifically. Try doing sets of touching the line, going behind it, getting down, hands up, burst, repeat.

Try doing sets of just bursts (ie. getting up fast from prone).
Break it down further - do it several times very slow. Methodical. Get your body into the rhythm. then speed it up. Do sets of slow. Then sets of faster.

Work on wall leans and alternating legs switches - do a google search for increasing running speed. The video I am thinking about shows three steps, all while leaning forward on a wall. More specifcally, it trains your legs to move like pistons.

You want to know how to start running right off the bat, as well as how to run, as well.

hope that helps.

Offline ericamccowan

• Rate Post
« Reply #1077 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:49 »
Thanks for the advice thematrixiam

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1078 on: October 13, 2016, 08:18:37 »
Quote from: ericamccowan

When you go running pick something that's uniformly spaced like light posts or streets and alternate between a slow jog, regular pace run and all out sprint. Every time you transition between jog run and sprint you can also drop down and do 10 or 20 push ups. 

You want your body used to changing positions quickly, starting and stopping quickly and controlling your breathing.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline messupdude

• Rate Post
For RegF the force test is on the first week is just to gauge if you're able to handle the actual test which is week 5 or 6 I believe. If you end up failing you go to warrior platoon which helps to improve your fitness. You workout twice a day and get 3 chances to take the mock test over 3 months before entering the course again. If you however fail they'll make you sign a voluntary release.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1080 on: October 14, 2016, 09:42:37 »
I am currently training for the FORCE test and am I can do the sandbag lift and the loaded shuttle in half the time required with more weight and higher lifts, however I cannot seem to get my 20-Metre Rushes times down below 51 seconds. My specific issue seems to be not getting up fast enough after slapping the ground.

Not trying to be rude, but are you overweight?  I ask because I recently did my FORCE.  I am 45, not in great shape, smoke, don't exercise all that regular lately and...I passed with a Bronze giz-mo on that new 'profile' stuff.  I did the rushes in 36 seconds or thereabouts.

If you are overweight or have weak/no upper body strength, that could be the struggle on the get down/get up stuff.
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline X_para76

• Rate Post
Apparently someone at NDHQ has found a new way to make administering the Force tests more difficult for reserve units now. The course to qualify personnel is only being run in Ottawa and all students must be bilingual.   :facepalm:
"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline ericamccowan

• Rate Post
« Reply #1082 on: October 15, 2016, 09:17:22 »
Not trying to be rude, but are you overweight?  I ask because I recently did my FORCE.  I am 45, not in great shape, smoke, don't exercise all that regular lately and...I passed with a Bronze giz-mo on that new 'profile' stuff.  I did the rushes in 36 seconds or thereabouts.

If you are overweight or have weak/no upper body strength, that could be the struggle on the get down/get up stuff.

I am not overweight, I also have fine upper body strength which is why I can do everything but the rushes without breaking a sweat.

Using the advice from here I have already improved my time to 48 seconds, with over 2 weeks to go I hope to drop that to below 40 seconds :)

Edit: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:23:32 by ericamccowan »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1083 on: October 15, 2016, 09:23:40 »
I am not overweight, I also have fine upper body strength which is why I can do everything but the rushes without breaking a sweat.

Using the advice from here I have already improved my time to 48 seconds, with over 2 weeks to do I hope to drop that to below 40 seconds :)

Awesome.  Thanks for not overreacting to my serious question too.  Good luck!
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Apparently someone at NDHQ has found a new way to make administering the Force tests more difficult for reserve units now. The course to qualify personnel is only being run in Ottawa and all students must be bilingual.   :facepalm:

The Canadian Forces has to stop treating  reservists like second class soldiers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:44:27 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline X_para76

• Rate Post
The challenge is that many Pres units have soldiers who are qualified to administer the test but they've changed the way they want results reported and this has created more hoops for the units to jump through. Sounds like a project to keep someone at NDHQ employed.
"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline FlyLikeAnEagle

• Rate Post
Training question clarification
« Reply #1086 on: July 11, 2017, 17:04:29 »
Yesterday i talked to my local recruiter and he either said that our first day fitness teat was lifting a 40 lbs bag up 30 times in 3 minutes or a 40 kg bag in 3 minutes. Which one is it?

Thanks

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: For those joining - New PT test rules at CFLRS
« Reply #1087 on: July 11, 2017, 17:20:35 »
That's called the FORCE test, and is the current PT test for the CAF. EXPRES does not exist anymore.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Training question clarification
« Reply #1088 on: July 11, 2017, 19:53:55 »
Yesterday i talked to my local recruiter and he either said that our first day fitness teat was lifting a 40 lbs bag up 30 times in 3 minutes or a 40 kg bag in 3 minutes. Which one is it?

Thanks

Do you mean the initial FORCE test at CFLRS?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page   (towards the bottom of the page)

Initial Physical Fitness Evaluation

During the first week of basic training, candidates will undergo a physical fitness evaluation that will determine if they can go on with their Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) or Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) course.

The initial physical fitness evaluation will consist of the FORCE Evaluation. Watch the videos of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation on the Personnel Support Programs (PSP) web page.

You must achieve the standard for all of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation in order to go on with your BMQ/BMOQ course.

If you do not meet the standard of one or more of the four items, you will join a specialized fitness training program that is also offered at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS). The program integrates overall health coaching, diet and a rigorous personalized fitness program that lasts a minimum of 28 calendar days and a maximum of 90 calendar days. From the moment you achieve the standard of the four components after the 28-day period, you are reintegrated onto a BMQ/BMOQ course. If unsuccessful at the end of 90 calendar days, you will be released from the CAF.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the info on the 4 test components can be found at the link below.  But, for ease...

30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kg sandbag from the floor above a height of 1.0 m. The member alternates between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 m.

To be completed in 3 minutes and 30 seconds

FORCE Evaluation Videos
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 20:05:14 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline FlyLikeAnEagle

• Rate Post
Re: Training question clarification
« Reply #1089 on: July 11, 2017, 20:07:46 »
Do you mean the initial FORCE test at CFLRS?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page   (towards the bottom of the page)

Initial Physical Fitness Evaluation

During the first week of basic training, candidates will undergo a physical fitness evaluation that will determine if they can go on with their Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) or Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) course.

The initial physical fitness evaluation will consist of the FORCE Evaluation. Watch the videos of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation on the Personnel Support Programs (PSP) web page.

You must achieve the standard for all of the four components of the FORCE Evaluation in order to go on with your BMQ/BMOQ course.

If you do not meet the standard of one or more of the four items, you will join a specialized fitness training program that is also offered at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS). The program integrates overall health coaching, diet and a rigorous personalized fitness program that lasts a minimum of 28 calendar days and a maximum of 90 calendar days. From the moment you achieve the standard of the four components after the 28-day period, you are reintegrated onto a BMQ/BMOQ course. If unsuccessful at the end of 90 calendar days, you will be released from the CAF.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the info on the 4 test components can be found at the link below.  But, for ease...

30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kg sandbag from the floor above a height of 1.0 m. The member alternates between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 m.

To be completed in 3 minutes and 30 seconds

FORCE Evaluation Videos

Lol. 20kg's is what i thought. Thanks.