• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

27 Aug 12: LGEN Thomas Lawson named C.D.S.

daftandbarmy said:
Anyone pick out the irony in conducting a ceremony like this in a museum? Anyone?  ;D

What irony?  My son was sworn into the CF in that same museum in 2006, surrounded by the artifacts and tools of our profession.

Some tidbits from the new CDS's speech....
.... Gen Lawson took to the podium in what he later described as a very proud and humbling moment.

He outlined his priorities in a novel fashion, delivering them not so much as objectives or milestones he would like to reach, but as personal pledges to the people of Canada, the Canadian Forces, and the gathered dignitaries and guests.

“I dedicate myself in full view of the responsibilities of the command to accepting your confidence in my abilities,” promised Gen Lawson.

“I dedicate myself to providing the highest quality military advice that you will seek. I dedicate myself and the Canadian Forces team to the careful maintenance of the many military capabilities that will be required to defend our great nation.

“I provide these pledges with the comfort that accompanies my confidence in the general and flag officers of the Canadian Forces, in our highly experienced officer cadre and non-commissioned officers, in our wonderful public service partners ... and in the tremendous underlying strength, resilience and professionalism of the Canadian solider, sailor, airman and air woman and finally in the terrific support that you and the people of our nation have provided to their Canadian Armed Forces and will continue to provide to their Canadian Armed Forces.”

He later told the media the weight of responsibility he bears for protecting the peace and security of Canada falls into three categories: “leadership, caring and preparing – leading military operations, caring for troops and making sure there is a robust force going ahead into the future”. He pledged to offer Prime Minister Harper “the best advice on which capabilities need refurbishment and replacing” ....
RCAF Info-machine, 30 Oct 12

And let the search for a new CDS begin ....
The government is actively searching for a new top military commander to succeed General Tom Lawson after he asked that his three-year appointment not be extended.

Sources say Ottawa is now talking to prospective candidates to find the next chief of the defence staff.

“Interviews are happening,” a source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said ....
Let the speculation re:  the next CDS begin!  Feel free to start plugging in our guesses into an already existing thread here.

And it's official - this, from the CDS:
“I have informed the Government that I would like to retire at the end of my three year tenure as Chief of the Defence Staff.

“Serving Canada while leading the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces has been the greatest honour and privilege in my 40-years of service in uniform. There is much work to be done, and I remain focused on my duties as Chief of Defence. I will do so until a replacement is named.”

Reminder:  the "who's up next?" thread is right here.

Back