• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SM-6 Modification

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Pretty interesting capability giving the SAM a beyond the horizon surface to surface capability as well.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/sinking-enemy-warships-the-us-navys-fiery-new-weapon-15132

“I'm announcing today new capability for the SM-6. We're modifying the SM-6, so that in addition to missile defense, it can also target enemy ships at sea at very long ranges,” U.S. defense secretary Ashton Carter said at Naval Base San Diego in California on February 3. 

tomahawk6 said:
Pretty interesting capability giving the SAM a beyond the horizon surface to surface capability as well.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/sinking-enemy-warships-the-us-navys-fiery-new-weapon-15132

“I'm announcing today new capability for the SM-6. We're modifying the SM-6, so that in addition to missile defense, it can also target enemy ships at sea at very long ranges,” U.S. defense secretary Ashton Carter said at Naval Base San Diego in California on February 3.

"...And maybe the odd North Korean badness site."  >:D

With the retirement of the anti-ship variant of the Tomahawk,the USN lacked a long range anti-ship missile.Why you would cancel an essential weapon without waiting for a follow on is beyond me.Anyway hence the SM-6 mod to anti-ship missile.The article below discusses the problem with this approach,namely- the ship carries only so many SAM's.Use some for anti-ship attack and you might be vulnerable.Its a tough call.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-most-important-weapon-asia-the-next-us-anti-ship-missile-15303

However, relying on the SM-6 as the AWD’s primary means of long-range attack and defense in the long term could see ship commanders face a worrying dilemma. Using a SM-6 against an enemy surface vessel means that one less that can be used for the AWD’s primary task of air defense. The Mark 41 VLS on the AWD can hold up to 48 individual SM-6 missiles but once its missile supply is exhausted, it can’t replenish stocks until it returns to port. Ship commanders would have to use the SM-6 sparingly in some instances, which isn’t exactly ideal in combat situations.

Don't really know how this is a new dilemma.  The number of VLS tubes on a given ship hasn't changed.  In the past (anti-ship Tomahawk period) you'd have to make the choice in advance to load a tube with an SM-6 or a Tomahawk.  Every Tomahawk you loaded would reduce your Air Defence capability.  Not loading Tomahawks (or limiting the number) would reduce your anti-ship capability (and isn't sinking the enemy missile launch platform the ultimate form of air defence?).

Now you can load all SM-6s and not have any reduction in your air defence capacity.  You do now however have the flexibility to choose to give up some of your air defence capability in return for the ability to attack a surface target if the commander decides it is worth the risk.

I don't see the downside of having a more flexible response available.

Back