• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

member rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ags281

I noticed just recently that I my little rating numbers started changing, so I did a search to figure out what that means exactly. Most of what I found seemed to refer to some sort of older system, but from what I understand, somewhere when I look at people's profiles there should be a button to click if I want to rate them + or -. My problem is that I can't seem to find said button anywhere. Am I blind/stupid/missing something, or do I need to hang aroud longer or something before I get the priviledge of rating members?

The [Promote][Demote] links will be the buttons your looking for. There right underneath Offline/Online I think. I got a verbal warning so I can't rank people, therefor the buttons are missing.(for the time of seven days)

P.S. You can't promote or demote yourself!

hmm... all I have is a blank space below online/offline. Guess I just won't be rating anyone (not exactly the end of the world I suppose). Thanks anyway

Actually - it's above the Online/Offline.
And if you're a newbie I'm guessing you won't be able to.
I guess Mr. Bobbit doesn't want people joining, demoting everyone then dissapearing.  :-\

Yeah, he mentioned before only users with +5 posts can rate other users.  Perhaps he's upped the minimum? 

And if you're a newbie I'm guessing you won't be able to.
I guess Mr. Bobbit doesn't want people joining, demoting everyone then dissapearing.

Yep, I defiately can't rate. Reasonable enough policy.
That answers my question, thanks.   :salute:

Aye,
glad I could lend you a helping hand.
Cheers!  :salute:

I think you have to be a member to rate others. Right now your a guest. Only another 28 posts and your a junior member.

Actually - it's above the Online/Offline.
I was guessing it was below, but oh well.

Ignore the number above, you need 30, then you become a new member.

So does this "ranking" system actually do anything to you as a user? From what it looks like, I got stabbed in the back a few times! Suppose my recent posts attained some animosity... :p

Anyway, do these have an effect on membership etc? What is the details/rules?

Thanks for any help/clarification provided, I'm still new here too!

Joe
:akimbo:

Hi all,

The rating system has no bearing on your status here, it's just a number that can be safely ignored. It's available as a guideline but is definitely *not* given much weight. (I.E. a few plus or minus, or an "even" rating is pretty normal. A high skew in one direction or the other may give you an idea of a person's relative standing here...)

For the record, you need 25 posts before you can rate someone else.

Well, Mr Bobbitt; thank you very much!

I was kinda curious myself, now my curiousity is satisfied!

What about "position"? This changes with more forum post?

Right. The member groups (based on posts) are as follows:

Code:
Group Name		Posts
Guest			0
New Member		25 
Jr. Member		50
Member			100
Full Member		250
Sr. Member		500 
Army.ca Veteran		1000

As with everything, subject to change without notice. :)

Cheers

People are stupid and give minus ratings because they have nothing better to do. Infact I don't doubt some moron will demote me for this post too.

I find it extremely hypocritical that the army.ca staffers are allowed to alter theirs whenever they want, and we can't.  Should be all or nothing.  I've noticed some members changing their ratings back after I've demoted them...  +20/0 whenever you want? I know it doesn't really matter in the long run, but it's really not fair at all...  Too bad some people have such fragile egos, I suppose.

B.N.S.

Torlyn,

Given the amount of members here, your going to be liked or disliked. Most times it has not alot to do with what you post, sometimes it does. If you post and your rating drops dramatically, maybe your at odds with the majority. I'm sure some get promoted demoted strictly on their character and other's personal likes and dislikes, avatars, little clubs & cliques, etc. How you can tell whether you'd sit and have a beer with a person, by what they post online is beyond me. It is no way to judge character. It's not at all scientific. It means not a wit, nor should it have any bearing on your personal opinion. I think anyone who gets wrapped around the axle about their rating here doesn't have much of a life. As to the Staff being able to change theirs, my personal opinion, right or wrong, is RHIP, it's a perk of the job because we spend hours here ensuring fair treatment, protocol, adherence to the rules, conflict resolution and answering questions like this. You've obviously been hitting the Moderators for frivolous reasons and your ego bubble gets burst when we change it back. I admit to changing mine once in a while to get a rise out of guys like you :eek: ;D. Wasn't sure if it worked, but thanks for removing the doubt :salute:

Cute, very cute.  It's nice to know that you are SURE that if I've demoted someone for frivilous reasons.  Wasn't aware you were privvy to my thought process..  Again, it's tragic that those particular egos are so weak that they must alter the ratings to make themselves happier.  Good to know that we're keeping a fair system.  Isn't THAT what the moderators are supposed to, well, moderate?  Regardless, I'm fine with y'all doing the "taking my ball and going home" gig.  No sweat off my back.  Thanks for the info.

B.N.S.

Just my point of view on this ratings thing.....I don't pay any attention to it.  If I like what a person has posted for or against something and it is a logical statement I will read more of their posts.  If a person wants to troll or post BS or is totally "out to lunch" or has bad grammar and spelling that I can't understand; then I ignore their posts.  Doesn't really matter to me what their ratings are.  Just because I don't like what a person may have to say, doesn't mean that I should demote them in spite, unless they are that really rare duffus and then usually everyone will expose them and they will leave on their own. 

So the ratings are a nice thing, but really don't mean much to me.

GW

I wish you could see and hear the little violin that's being played right now ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back