• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running Self assessment.

G

Gibson27

Hey Guys,

Did a search for this and i couldn't find anything, so if anyone got the time to answer this it's much appreciated.

On the Reg Forces Application papers you have to write the self assessment of the 2.4 k run, the situps and pushups. My question is do you need to be able to run below 11:56 at the time you fill out the papers or just what your best time is at the time of sending off the papers. Right now I'm 12:19.... only started running a week ago.

Thanx Guys....

Ia m not sure about that one. Best to call the CFRC at 1-800-856-8488 and talk to one of the people who know best. They are the ones who know the standards inside and out and also know some of the shortcuts that can be taken, I am not saying that there is an exception to the rule here but there are definitely some things that those guys overlook a little bit.

Good Luck!

For starting a week ago that's a pretty good time. You should try get to your time down below 11:56 before you do you physical test. Even though for the test you don't do any running, being able to run 2.4 km in a good time will help you with the step test. It will also make life a  lot easier when you make it to basic.

I'm gonna call the Reg Forces Recruiting center here in St.John's tomorrow about the self assessment part of the application. Hopefully i can get it mailed off and be processed for Nov at the earliest. I am an amature bodybuilder so i can diet efficiently to lose another 20lbs or so by the time i get into basic no prob. Currently i am 6'1 and 218. I hope my muscle won't be too much of a hinderance in cardiovscular activities.

But for as the running goes. I'm striving to get my time at around the superior level of 10:15. Shouldn't be too difficult to do in 6 months or so.

Ugh, now the long waiting process begins.....

All they expect in the self assessment is your honest times.  They will discuss this with you when you are called in for an interview.  Just keep working away at your time, and before you know it, you will be were you should.  Nothing to panic about.  If your time was way out of wack, it would/should give you something to seriously think about when you are chosing a career were physical fitness is a big part.

Hi... I was just wondering what exactly is the "step test" ?
Thanks in advance

Liz  :salute:

it it the aerobic equivalent to the 2.4k run, it is done in, I believe 3 minute segments, but I may be wrong about that.

I think you have to pass the third level to pass the test, again, may be wrong, best Idea is to do a search, or call your local CFRC.

So I wouldn't have to run? What would I be doing instead (I'm sorry, I'm really quite clueless...and I appreciate all the help I can get :p )
And what is the third level ?

Thanks

From what I understand, you do the running self assessment to try and get your time in the acceptable or even better superior range. When you go to do your PFT, you do not do a timed run, but instead a step test with a set of stairs. If you are in the acceptable or superior range, you will be able to pass the test.

the step test is 2 steps, u go up and down the steps following a pace set by a cd that plays music and goes "up 2 3, down 2 3, up 2 3..."
u do this for 3 mins take ur heartbeat, then u go for another 3 mins and take ur heartbeat again. The pace gets faster as u keep going.

That makes it a lot more clear. Thank you very much. I'm not so worried now :)
I'm dropping my application off tomorrow and I was feeling a little nervous. heh..

Thanks again for the help :)

:cdn:

ugh. I went to the Recruiting office and they tell me even before i can drop off a application i gotta go ahead and do an apitutide test on the 20th of this month. I'm never gonna get processed by november.

Before you drop off an application you must do an aptitude test?  Can you clarify what you are talking about, please?  Are you referring to the CFAT?  Far as I know, you must submit your application prior to being booked in for a CFAT.

I have to do an aptitude test before they will give me an application to apply. I guess it's to see if i am suited for the miltary. Seems like this is the start of alot of fooling around with the recruiting office. :threat:

I think you might want to talk to the recruiting centre again.  You have to submit an application prior to doing the CFAT.  I think you may have misunderstood something you were told.

I agree with mclipper, it sounds like you are getting the bum steer.  All of your paper work, references etc, needs to be completed before you do the CFAT.  I would get a second opinion from CFRC.
Greg

I'm positive that's what the missus said. She explained that before i could get an application package i was required to wrote the test first. At least i won't have to wait long to write that, Tuesday of next week. lol

I have to agree with the other fellas here, both times I have  written the CFAT (Once on the day long and once on the hour long) I have written AFTER I applied.

To the person asking about the step test: They have a cheesy tape that plays music and a guy keeps telling you to "step, step, up, step, step, down" I wanted to throttle the bugger!! The step test IS the equivalent of the 2.4 km run, meaning; in order to pass the step test with no major issues you must be able to run the 2.4 km in their allotted time. It also measures your lung capacity, it's a cheap VO2 test, they have a formula that they do on your form that takes into account age, height, weight, etc, then they take your performance on the step test to give you a sort of accurate VO2 reading. I did the step test then two weeks later had to do the actual VO2 test where they run you on a treadmill while you were hooked up to a breathing machine and I found that my results did vary a bit, but they were not that far off. Hope that this helps.

Cheers!!

I found the step test to be much easier than actually running 2.4km.  The tape/music really annoyed the hell out of me though!  It actually made it more difficult to keep my timing on the steps.  Ah well, I got through it.

scott1insh, what's this about you doing the V02 on the treadmill?  Why did you have to do that?

Casing, the VO2 on the treadmill is, as far as I know and correct me if I am wrong, the most accurate way to determine your VO2 rating. For the Fire Service I believe they now want a guy to score at least high 40's on the VO2 to pass.

The Fire Service, pretty much nation wide, has gone to a physical fitness test called CPAT. It incorporates, along with the VO2 treadmill, job specific simulated tasks such as: running stairs with fire hose, dummy drag, ladder lift, all while wearing enough weight to simulate a firefighters "combat" load (Forgive me for using that term here) The tests are the most gruelling I have ever taken in my life.

You can get info on the CPAT just by searching for it or go to www.firefit.com and it will tell you about the Firefighters Combat Challenge which is similar.

Cheers!

Back