• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian deaths in Kabul not preventable, says report

Mark C/Recce Guy: Yes--that is exactly what I was thinking of, but I had not seen this picture before. This should do it.

Mark: I just want to be clear what version of U/A HMMVW you saw, because the one I was in on hte MP patrol could in no way be described as "open concept": it was more "tin can" . The Permeter Security Coy here uses the more open type HMMVW, but I haven't looked closely to see if these are U/A. Cheers.

Mark C,

The C&R version are identical to the logistic version, only they have the cupola in the top. It is not the version I linked to. That is what we need though. The C&R version is what the boys have in Afghanistan now. We have no open GWagon versions in the buy. This has been the heartache we've been discussing on other threads, we'll be doing recce from a fishbowl.

Recceguy,

Really?  Hmmm - I was under the distinct impression that our "C&R" variant was going to be the same G-Wagon version that the KSK guys were running in K'har.  Their's was a completely open upper vehicle, shrouded in a roll-cage with a weapon station (AGL and HMG capable) on a ring-mount in the rear and a passenger soft-mount for an MG.  Along with extra external stowage for fuel cans, kit, ammo, etc.  Very much like the SAS "Pink Panther" Landrover, but with a roll-cage. 

I guess my question is, if what we are currently fielding in Afghanistan is indeed the "C&R" variant (hard-top, fully-enclosed), then what does the standard vehicle look like?  I can't imagine a vehicle configuration more ill-suited to light recce tasks, unless the standard version lacks the basic roof hatch and pintle mount?  This is disturbing news indeed....

PBI - I can see where you're confused.  Poor wording on my part.  3 PPCLI Recce Pl was equipped with the standard, fully-enlosed up-armoured HMMVWs in K'har.  We "borrowed" them from the U.S. MP Coy because unarmoured Iltis were a "no go" (at formation level) outside of the airfield perimeter.  A good call, given that the 2-3 km "belt" surrounding the airfield perimeter was arguably the most mined area in the world.  It had been reseeded at least 3 times as the airfield changed hands between the Russians, and later the Taliban.  The fully-enclosed "tin can" aspect of the up-armoured HMMVWs was a detriment, but we worked around that by dismounting at every opportunity to interact with the locals (C9 gunner providing overwatch from the roof hatch).  At the end of the day, although the up-armoured HMMVW was a less than ideal patrol vehicle, it was a far cry better than rolling through the outlying villages in Coyotes or Bisons.  The USMC had done that before us, and all they had managed to do was intimidate and annoy the locals by scaring children, killing chickens, and stirring up a lot of dust.  Our success was firmly grounded in dimounting and encouraging personal interaction.  Even with its "enclosed presence", the armoured HMMVW is reasonable platform for such activities - assuming that you roll down the windows and dismount to interact with the locals at every opportunity.  A LAV is simply counter-productive - even if you have 4 troops standing up in the rear hatches waving and showering the locals with manna from heaven.  The armoured vehicles are just too large and intimidating. 

The version of the G-Wagon that I saw the KSK using in K'har would be the ideal compromise if fitted with some anti-blast belly armour.  Recceguy, are you sure about what you said?  If so, then it would appear that we have missed the boat - yet again....

When I was at the Gunnery conference in G'town we had a long talk on it. I had the train the trainer course in Borden and we used the logistic variant. Same thing only a closed top with luggage rack and 4 seats, with a stowage compartment in the back. The MP variant gets a light bar. You're right, we missed the boat, but then, did they ask the users what we wanted\ needed? We know that answer already. Do they ever? Unless something has changed in the last couple of months (unlikely), what you see, is what you get.

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Operations/blown_hmmv.JPG  theres the pic

Our success was firmly grounded in dimounting and encouraging personal interaction.  Even with its "enclosed presence", the armoured HMMVW is reasonable platform for such activities - assuming that you roll down the windows and dismount to interact with the locals at every opportunity.  A LAV is simply counter-productive - even if you have 4 troops standing up in the rear hatches waving and showering the locals with manna from heaven.  The armoured vehicles are just too large and intimidating. 

Ok, seen. I haven't been out on a day patrol yet, but I can tell you that the night patrol involved none of the above. (Although I'm assured that in daytime they do all the good village walkabout stuff). I guess if we had actually gotten out a few times, or stopped and turned off the engines and listened/watched for a bit, we might have compensated for the tin can effect. As it was, I'm not 100% sure what hte impact/value of the patrol was. Cheers.

MarkC- Your right we missed the boat.

I have driven both variants -
the C&R is no differrent that the other, but for the adition of the roof hatch and hand crank turret.  None of the full hard tops have ANY point.  But like so much CF procurement the end user is the one that suffers...

The Hungarian Para-Commando Regt that we now share CJ with has the Gun-Truck version of the GWagon...

Picture of our C&R Variant and a picture of the German DINGO (armoured UNIMOG for lack of a better descripter).

After having spent the last two months driving in a G Wagon I can honestly say that it is a good vehicle but is not a good military vehicle for patrolling, etc. We are cursed again with an off the shelf model (like the Griffon).  A good product but its versatility is limited.  When you travel in the basic up-armoured version you are cut off from the outside world and are not able to respond to anything around you (as described by MarkC).  The troops have nick named it the "Fish Bowl" for obvious reasons.

The C&R variant is once again a good vehicle but probably not a good military vehicle.  The cupola makes it very top heavy (and high) and once again the ability to react to anything around you is limited.  Roof, winshield, windows and sides are pemanently fixed (although the unarmoured version windows can be rolled down).     

Gunner

Thanks for the photos.  Looks like the GPS antenna mount is in danger of being shoot off by the C 6 if it is ever employed on the GWagen.

The Dingo looks impressive and looks to be designed to take a mine blast.  Is it made by Mercedes on the Unimog Chassis or did you just throw out the words Unimog to describe it?

GW

C&R shots
My gunner in the hatch
DownloadAttach.asp

sitting in the QRF lines
DownloadAttach.asp

The ILTIS gun truck
DownloadAttach.asp

George,

The German driver described it as an armoured UNIMOG to me.   It certainly looks similar from my experience.   I didn't have time to go through it as much as I would have like.   My lack of German didn't held either!

Cheers,

I see from the second batch of pictures that what I originally thought as the GPS Ant Mount is really a Wire Cutter.

On the Iltis Gun Truck, is the GPig mounted on a 'Dog Leg' bolted to the right side of the Iltis, similar to what we did with our jeeps in the early 70's?

GW

The Iltis's we were using did not have the bracket in - we just sat the C6 in our laps  8) 
I shot from the back during my drive by but I think the front blast'em method was more stable.

We have some of the gun stands in our CQ - but we are not using the Iltis for outside the gate operations anymore so they were all removed.  The Belgian and German ones here have them on.

The GPS antena on the Gwagon is on the hood - quite well protected from the C6

Is it possible to remove the windows completely (not roll them down, take them off) from the armoured variant?  It would take away some protection but at least you could hear.

I'm guessing that this is the KSK G-Wagon that was talked about above.
a_ksk02.jpg

a_ksk01.jpg

KevinB where did you guys fire? At CJ or Pul-E-Charki? Cheers

Yep,

The above pics are of the G-Wagon variant that I was referring to earlier.  This model is apparently referred to as the "Special Operations" variant, and can be purchased as a refit package for other G-wagon models.  Speaking to previous DAD desk officer for Light Infantry development, there was talk of procuring the Special Operations conversion package for LUVWs issued to the light battalions.  I am not sure whether that idea has progressed or not since we spoke a year or so ago. 

If it is good enough for the KSK, then I'd hazard to say that the SO G-Wagon variant would fit the bill nicely for our light patrol tasks.  It would perform along similar lines to the Rover Defender 90 "gun jeeps" which are currently employed by the British SAS, Para Regt, and U.S. Army Rangers. 

Cross your fingers that someone in the hallowed halls of procurement will see the light.....

Mark C: I'm with you on that. This would be a great idea-it looks like just what we need. Cheers.

PBI,
CJ for the Iltis - P/C for the GWagons and (yuck) LAV

MarkC - ditto

How the hell anyone can call the C&R variant either command or recce is unfathomable.

C&R= Cramped and Restricted.

Smack!

Ouch. :-[

OK-OK. I'm Just kidding. Shouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth.

Cheers.

Back