• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III

Because it is a wholly Canadian attitude to think we can have one foot in and one foot out when it comes to the monarchy; and it means we do it piss poorly as a result.

With the needless "Canadianized" fuckery around the Royal Cipher, "Maple Crown", currency, badging in the CAF, and now the King's Coronation Medal; we look amateur hour on things the Brits have had well in hand for almost 2 years since Her Late Majesty passed.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing properly. If we are still maintaining ties to the monarchy, and that seems to be the plan in the long run, don't fuck it off.
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool monarchist, but I actually think developing our own traditions for the King of Canada makes some sense.

The "Snowflake" crown looks good, and is a distinctly Canadian emblem.

If Canada creates its own tradition of the monarch facing one direction, that's great as well.

We are not the UK, and while the same person sits on the throne, our King is our King.

We could definitely do our traditions better, but having our own is reasonable.

Because it is a wholly Canadian attitude to think we can have one foot in and one foot out when it comes to the monarchy; and it means we do it piss poorly as a result.

With the needless "Canadianized" fuckery around the Royal Cipher, "Maple Crown", currency, badging in the CAF, and now the King's Coronation Medal; we look amateur hour on things the Brits have had well in hand for almost 2 years since Her Late Majesty passed.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing properly. If we are still maintaining ties to the monarchy, and that seems to be the plan in the long run, don't fuck it off.
What we don’t know is what the UK “churn” was on all of that. I suspect it was like a duck - look calm above the water but paddle like mad below. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a ton of Brits quietly wondering why there’s so much hoopla on that as well, but not saying it in public lest they seem “disloyal to the Crown”.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool monarchist, but I actually think developing our own traditions for the King of Canada makes some sense.

If Canada creates its own tradition of the monarch facing one direction, that's great as well.

We are not the UK, and while the same person sits on the throne, our King is our King.

Bingo. We self-flagellate about aping other countries but then…self-flagellate when we don’t.

To your point, I give you the Canadian proclamation ceremony
vs the Australian

The Australians have a much more robust debate about the monarchy than we have ever had but still managed to treat the event with appropriate decorum and seriousness. At least that's my view.

What I particularly liked about the Aussie declaration was there was no reference to the United Kingdom or any other realms. Their King Charles is King of Australia. And that is enough.

I can agree with this sentiment
I disagree.

The Crown and it's depiction/symbolism is derived from its actual existence. St. Edward's Crown is a real thing. The Tudor Crown, while melted down by Oliver Cromwell, was a real thing. This maple crown exists solely on paper and holds no vestiges of authority or history.

What's worse is that it was not the King that asked for it. It was dictated to him by his Viceroy by way of the Chancellory of Honours.

Traditions created out of error are usually ones that become farce. There is a time and place to deviate. Masquerading error as ingenuity is something we should condemn, not celebrate.

I agree. That said, to deny that the King of Canada was created out of thin air in 1931 with the Statute of Westminster is a ridiculius revisionism of our origins and history.

The country we have today was inhabited by First Nations, colonized by the French, conquered by Britain, became a Dominion in 1867, and then a separate "Kingdom" where we are today. Our history is tied to all of them, and thus so are our traditions.

If we are going to have them, we need to be consistent and deliberate about them. If not, we are left with mockery and apathy.

One just has to look at how the CAF's identity (and I would argue its morale as well) has disintegrated at the belief that traditions of yore can be cast away, and that new culture and identity can be ordered by policy and edict.

The country we have today was inhabited by First Nations, colonized by the French, conquered by Britain, became a Dominion in 1867, and then a separate "Kingdom" where we are today. Our history is tied to all of them, and thus so are our traditions.
…which makes it even more appropriate that our traditions should not be like the UK’s, or Australia’s, or anyone else’s. That statement would seem to give more credence to @Furniture ‘s comments than refuting them.

If we are going to have them, we need to be consistent and deliberate about them. If not, we are left with mockery and apathy.

One just has to look at how the CAF's identity (and I would argue its morale as well) has disintegrated at the belief that traditions of yore can be cast away, and that new culture and identity can be ordered by policy and edict.
I find “traditions” are organic things and trying to nail them down circa May 2024, for example, is like commenting on a painting while the artist is still in the process of painting it. Did the RN ever definitively say “ok, this is the way we do XYZ in 1805” and forbid anyone from changing it?

Traditions are things passed down, but there is no reason why they can’t be amended to fit the current reality. The Rum Tot was a tradition, but it’s inappropriate now. Forcing someone to be at the Mess every Friday and drink with your boss is also a tradition, but its appropriateness is now questionable.

I do agree with creating Canadian traditions related to the Canadian Crown (not the heraldic one). I dislike the Trudeau Crown as I feel it's creation is more politically motivated than anything. I do have a lot of respect for the Heralds at the Canadian Heraldic Authority and I sometimes wonder if they really support some of the designs they are told to put out. I wouldn't be opposed to the Canadian Crown seeing some limited use, but definitely not on Cap Badges. As much as I do enjoy having Canadian-specific symbols, I do still think that the Crown should be representative of all of the King's Realms as a uniting factor, similar to the way that multiple nation's artillery regiments wear the exact same Cap Badge.

…which makes it even more appropriate that our traditions should not be like the UK’s, or Australia’s, or anyone else’s. That statement would seem to give more credence to @Furniture ‘s comments than refuting them.
Traditions based in shared experience and history can evolve based on a collective will or understanding. This was not the case in the creation of a "Canadian" crown or monarch, but political ones.

Politics and tradition are poor bedfellows, in that what is politically advantageous changes with every election cycle.

Her Late Majesty saw her reign start with Louis St Laurent and her demise was met with a second, more inept Trudeau, jamming on a hotel piano while in London to attend her funeral.

Politicians, and their own personal attitudes and beliefs, come and go. the Crown, along with its values and traditions, remains throughout.

I find “traditions” are organic things and trying to nail them down circa May 2024, for example, is like commenting on a painting while the artist is still in the process of painting it. Did the RN ever definitively say “ok, this is the way we do XYZ in 1805” and forbid anyone from changing it?
Again, the motivation to change a tradition should be intrinsic to the collective and not on the whims of the individual. I wonder if Heart of Oak will survive in the RCN now that the CRCN is changing hands. Echos of the Rank Change no one asked for.

Traditions are things passed down, but there is no reason why they can’t be amended to fit the current reality. The Rum Tot was a tradition, but it’s inappropriate now. Forcing someone to be at the Mess every Friday and drink with your boss is also a tradition, but its appropriateness is now questionable.
So the spirit of traditions are what matter and not the individual act. Why was the Tot instituted? What was the secondary effects of it? Can it be amended or modified to meet current cultural norms? If yes, amend. If no, retire.

I attend the Mess on Thursdays and I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 5 years. It is no longer a mandatory thing that I drink. I am, however, required to attend and socialize/network with my peers and superiors as a way to develop camaraderie and foster relationships outside of a strictly business environment. I had to do this in civilian life, on my own dime, to network with clients and make inroads for sales. Its nothing new, nor does it end when you leave the CAF.

We are social creatures and are also nostaglic ones. We feel, act, and attempt to find commonality with peoples we interact with and those who have come before us. Tradition for the sake of it is wrong, however, tossing it for the sake of it is also wrong.

I dont know, the way a face faces on a medal or 20$ bill means absolutely nothing in the small or grand scheme of things...

But if this is what we need to churn on, so be it.
Symbols have power and meaning. If they didn’t people wouldn’t care so much about them. Think about the visceral reaction most get when they see a Nazi flag, or the sense of pride many Canadians feel when they see a Canadian flag.

Some symbols have no meaning and power to certain people, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t power there for others.

Symbols have power and meaning. If they didn’t people wouldn’t care so much about them. Think about the visceral reaction most get when they see a Nazi flag, or the sense of pride many Canadians feel when they see a Canadian flag.

Some symbols have no meaning and power to certain people, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t power there for others.

Clan chiefs[edit]​

A clan chief is the head of his or her clan/family, and is the representer of the family's founder. A clan chief must be recognised as such by the Lord Lyon King of Arms, and must possess the undifferenced arms of their name.[15]

Clan chiefs may wear their crest simpliciter, that is without being encircled by the motto and without any feathers. It is more common, however, for a clan chiefs to wear their own personal crest within a plain circlet inscribed with their motto or slogan (pictured left). The chief's crest badge does not contain the strap and buckle that other clan members are permitted to wear. Clan chiefs are also entitled to wear three eagle feathers[note 3] behind the circlet of their crest badge. On certain occasions, such as clan gatherings, it may be appropriate to use real eagle feathers. Clan chiefs that are members of the British Peerage or a feudal baron are entitled to wear the appropriate coronet or baronial chapeau above the circlet on their crest badge, though this is a matter of personal preference.[2]

Clan chieftains[edit]​

Clan chieftains are the representers of large branches of a Scottish clan. They are officially recognised as clan chieftains by the Lord Lyon King of Arms.[2]

Clan chieftains, like clan chiefs, may wear their own personal crest within a plain circlet inscribed with their own motto or slogan. Clan chieftains may also wear two small eagle feathers (unlike the chief's three).[note 4] On certain occasions real eagle feathers may be worn behind the crest badge. If a clan chieftain is a member of the British Peerage or a feudal baron they are permitted to wear the appropriate coronet or baronial chapeau above the circlet on their crest badge.[2] Clan chieftains may also wear the crest badge of their chief, in the same manner as an un-armigerous clan member (see Un-armigerous clan members below).[2]

Overlapping symbols Eaglelord. The Crown surmounted by Three Eagle Feathers?

Eagle feathers are considered very sacred by the Canadian Indigenous community . They are protected by law, and are should be gifted in honour, never taken, asked for, or bought.

The Grand Chief’s headdress is a symbol of respect for his or her role.

Traditions based in shared experience and history can evolve based on a collective will or understanding. This was not the case in the creation of a "Canadian" crown or monarch, but political ones.

Politics and tradition are poor bedfellows, in that what is politically advantageous changes with every election cycle.

Her Late Majesty saw her reign start with Louis St Laurent and her demise was met with a second, more inept Trudeau, jamming on a hotel piano while in London to attend her funeral.

Politicians, and their own personal attitudes and beliefs, come and go. the Crown, along with its values and traditions, remains throughout.
…yes? I would argue that the Crown has an influential “PR staff”, for good or ill.

Again, the motivation to change a tradition should be intrinsic to the collective and not on the whims of the individual. I wonder if Heart of Oak will survive in the RCN now that the CRCN is changing hands. Echos of the Rank Change no one asked for.
If we changed, we wouldn’t be the first. The RAN changed from Heart of Oak to the stirring name of “Royal Australian Navy”. As for the rank change, I thought RCN folks voted on it but I can’t recall for sure.

So the spirit of traditions are what matter and not the individual act. Why was the Tot instituted? What was the secondary effects of it? Can it be amended or modified to meet current cultural norms? If yes, amend. If no, retire.

I attend the Mess on Thursdays and I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 5 years. It is no longer a mandatory thing that I drink. I am, however, required to attend and socialize/network with my peers and superiors as a way to develop camaraderie and foster relationships outside of a strictly business environment. I had to do this in civilian life, on my own dime, to network with clients and make inroads for sales. Its nothing new, nor does it end when you leave the CAF.

We are social creatures and are also nostaglic ones. We feel, act, and attempt to find commonality with peoples we interact with and those who have come before us. Tradition for the sake of it is wrong, however, tossing it for the sake of it is also wrong.
Agreed, and I’m not a “never-Messer”. But, the pushback when someone publicly talks about changing or abolishing a tradition is what I’m talking about. Too many people use the crutch of “it’s tradition!” as if that in itself is a valid response. The validity should be why it’s still a tradition and whether it’s still appropriate.

Your point about the Mess is good. The way it should be explained is that the Mess is a good way for folks who don’t normally work with each other to network. Right now, too many junior folks just go because they’re “strongly suggested”.

There should be a “tradition” (lol) of not sitting with the folks you already see 5 days a week. Some people won’t like that, and that’s fine. But some folks will find that it’s a lot easier to get some work done later when you have the contacts through the weekly Mess time.

Yes, the impetus to change a tradition should be by the collective. But to do that, someone has to bring it up - we can’t read minds. It’s the pushback against that person that I’m talking about, which silences others who would probably voice support.

…yes? I would argue that the Crown has an influential “PR staff”, for good or ill.

If we changed, we wouldn’t be the first. The RAN changed from Heart of Oak to the stirring name of “Royal Australian Navy”. As for the rank change, I thought RCN folks voted on it but I can’t recall for sure.

Agreed, and I’m not a “never-Messer”. But, the pushback when someone publicly talks about changing or abolishing a tradition is what I’m talking about. Too many people use the crutch of “it’s tradition!” as if that in itself is a valid response. The validity should be why it’s still a tradition and whether it’s still appropriate.

Your point about the Mess is good. The way it should be explained is that the Mess is a good way for folks who don’t normally work with each other to network. There should be a “tradition” (lol) of not sitting with the folks you already see 5 days a week. Some people won’t like that, and that’s fine. But some folks will find that it’s a lot easier to get some work done later when you have the contacts through the weekly Mess time.

Yes, the impetus to change a tradition should be by the collective. But to do that, someone has to bring it up - we can’t read minds. It’s the pushback against that person that I’m talking about, which silences others who would probably voice support.
I think we're walking along the same common ground in our thinking.

I think we're walking along the same common ground in our thinking.
Yes. The difference is that I’m seemingly less inclined to keep things status quo.

I’m of the age that I should be telling kids to get off my lawn. I’m also apparently bucking the trend that older folks lean more Conservative (the opposite, in fact) but that’s neither here nor there.

I have no issue with "Canadianizing" the monarchy. Like @Kirkhill I don't understand why we didn't take the opportunity to update the styles and just use "King of Canada, Head of the Commonwealth." But I suspect that the whole thing was largely slapped together at the last minute and someone just dusted off the proclamation from 1952 and changed the names.

Where they lose me is when they either engage in rather silly mimicry (the Herald's costume...) or just invent stuff out of thin air (the Canadian crown). It's hard to take either very seriously in the absence of actually having the King and Queen come to Canada which, to my mind, would have much more impact than tweaking symbols. One of the great things about the Royals is the degree to which they do know the country having visited more of it than most of us ever will. Yet almost 2 years after the accession and a year after the coronation no visit to the senior overseas realm (allowing for the cancer treatment I admit).

On the other hand, at least the lower level "private" visits by other Royals to the CAF continue: The Princess Royal visits British Columbia, Canada

I have to say she looks good in RCN uniforms.

Yes. The difference is that I’m seemingly less inclined to keep things status quo.

I’m of the age that I should be telling kids to get off my lawn. I’m also apparently bucking the trend that older folks lean more Conservative (the opposite, in fact) but that’s neither here nor there.
I can see balance in both.

Tradition can provide stability in unstable times. So long as the tradition still has value, while doing no harm, I see no reason to throw it away because "reasons." The same way I belief harmful traditions need to be cut out like a cancerous tumor.

As for becoming more conservative as you age, my political leanings resemble a shotgun blast depending on the issue; so I can't say with certainty where I am on the crotchety old man scale.

I can see balance in both.

Tradition can provide stability in unstable times. So long as the tradition still has value, while doing no harm, I see no reason to throw it away because "reasons." The same way I belief harmful traditions need to be cut out like a cancerous tumor.

As for becoming more conservative as you age, my political leanings resemble a shotgun blast depending on the issue; so I can't say with certainty where I am on the crotchety old man scale.
It seems that more often than not we throw away traditions in vain attempts to appear relevant and up-to-date in order to appeal to the next generation, and I don't just mean in a military context. My impression is that it seldom seems to work. It doesn't make institution X any more attractive to those outside but does alienate those inside. That's not to say bad traditions shouldn't be thrown out. But traditions shouldn't be about what's the flavour of the month.

Oddly, I'm almost certainly less conservative in many ways now, in my 60s, than I was in my 20s, but every bit as crotchety....

Overlapping symbols Eaglelord. The Crown surmounted by Three Eagle Feathers?

Anyone who has been granted arms is permitted to wear one eagle feather. The Golden eagle is native to both North America and Scotland, along with other places.

As like most other things, there is the persistent need to mean something to everyone, which ends up being we mean nothing to anyone. Or, to put it another way, make sure there is no possible way anyone can take the slightest offence to anything, no matter how obscure, because if something doesn't speak to me, it offends me.

I would more prefer matters relating to The State be addressed by The State, and not The Government.

Nah. You've got another decade or two to see the light. ;)

Back