Author Topic: Infantry Application (merged thread)  (Read 108911 times)

Offline cbaisley

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry Application (merged thread)
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 06:18:53 »
Reading this is very disheartening... I'm in the RCMP currently, and come from a long military family.  Only reason I joined the RCMP was because there was a big hiring push a few years back, and it seemed like a good choice.  Its a great job, no doubt, but I'm slowly coming to realize its not what I want to be doing, and I should have went CF.  I hadn't even realized that Infantry.. anywhere.. wouldn't be hiring, it just seems like the quintessential career for an Army man.

I have my package all filled out.. If I drop it off at a recruiter... will they just hang on to it until Infantry opens up again? or will they outright refuse to accept the App.  I'm sure I'll find that out on my own anyway...

Here's to hoping it opens back up

Offline Romanmaz

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:47 »
Reading this is very disheartening... I'm in the RCMP currently, and come from a long military family.  Only reason I joined the RCMP was because there was a big hiring push a few years back, and it seemed like a good choice.  Its a great job, no doubt, but I'm slowly coming to realize its not what I want to be doing, and I should have went CF.  I hadn't even realized that Infantry.. anywhere.. wouldn't be hiring, it just seems like the quintessential career for an Army man.

I have my package all filled out.. If I drop it off at a recruiter... will they just hang on to it until Infantry opens up again? or will they outright refuse to accept the App.  I'm sure I'll find that out on my own anyway...

Here's to hoping it opens back up
I'm sure with a background as a L.E.O. it will give you a definite level of competitiveness over applicants for next years selection. As to your question about whether or not they will even accept your applications,  it seems to differ greatly depending on the RC and staff you talk to. Some might take it others will tell you to come closer to next April's recruiting year. It does say they are still accepting applications on the website but from what I've heard Infantry is full and many peoples applications are being stopped mid process.
Good luck!
BMQ Sept. 5th for Infantry

Offline GhostofJacK

• Back from the dead
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 11:54:53 »
@cbaisley

Good on you for being RCMP. When they say 'infantry is closed' it's not that they close the entire trade 100%. There is still even the most minute of streams that are trickled in to sustain natural attrition rates. I do believe (I am not in the recruiting process mind you) that when you drop off your app they will process it and you are put on a waiting list after it is processed. You are merit listed based on your app and that list still trickles in based on your order.

Don't be disheartened by this board. You have a (govt) job and will continue with that as I believe. Logically speaking, from my own thinkings, two courses may happen:

1) Since you are RCMP, the background check may be expediated due to you already have gone through it

2) You are in the RCMP, another federal branch and therefore transferring your paperwork will be a tad more complicated and thus take a little longer

I personally don't know much about RCMP transfers in so my opinion is worth as much as the Italian Lira. The only thing I can say is that you can't let things like this dishearten you. You say you are from a long military family, so show that you have drive to be in. You should want this enough that it shows externally. If this gets you down now, then when you make it in, it will just be worse. Being told you are on tour but finding out you aren't at the last second, being told you are a good candidate for a course but you miss being put on the course, failing selection, etc; these are all disheartening things that the infantry deal with normally. Like with my peers and subordinates, I respect them that much more when they get they shaft but keep on trucking until their next kick at the can arises.
Waking the dead with the sounds of the wardrums.

It's your choice whether or not you are the player or the pawn in the game of life. Either way, someone else will usually decide the next move you make.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 17:43:56 »
I've sat in my office and had a troop call recruiting and they told him everything was closed except geotech musician and some crazy navy trade.
I called the same recruiting center 15 minuites later and was told theres about 12 to 14 trades open.

If it's in your capacity to do so, go to the recruiting center in person and ask what's open and what's closed.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline TSpoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 21:47:35 »
Hi everyone, I've searched through other forums hoping to find an answer but all the threads I found had to do with SAR, Cooks or some form of engineers getting college diplomas. Right now I'm planning on taking a year off next year(after highschool) to work before applying to the forces as an infantry soldier.Basically my question is this : Would having a college certificate in Leadership studies ( one year course) help to better my chances of being offered a job.I know it's not specific to infantry as say a Paramedic program is to Med Techs but seeing as I'm not doing much next year anyways I thought it might be worth it.Thanks in advance for any insight. :cdn:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth war is much worse." - John Stuart Mill

Offline Sythen

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 22:05:13 »
I would imagine any schooling would be a good thing, but I can't imagine (and his is only my opinion) that it would make a huge difference when it comes to whether you get a job or not. I'd imagine spending the year volunteering would be just as useful, won't really cost you anything and it helps others in the mean time.
Written on Soldier’s Tower, University of Toronto:

Their story is not graven only on stone over their native earth, but lives on far away, without visible symbol, woven into the stuff of other men’s lives

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools.  Let's start with typewriters."
Frank Lloyd Wright, architect

Offline Delaney1986

• "You must be the change you wish to see in the world"- Mahatma Ghandi
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2012, 05:43:43 »
There's no way that could hurt you in the long run. However, I would maybe do like the above poster suggested and get into some volunteer work or play some sports, you know, to demonstrate that you can apply leadership skills and not just learn about them.

Good Luck!!  :)

Offline Snaketnk

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:37 »
I'm heard rumours that because the infantry is so competitive now, all the guys getting in have some form of post-secondary degree.

Take that for what it's worth.
-------
Pro Patria

Offline mmmjon

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:43 »
I'm heard rumours that because the infantry is so competitive now, all the guys getting in have some form of post-secondary degree.

Take that for what it's worth.

And it will remain a rumour. I know a few guys that were just offered Infantry with absolutely no post secondary education.

As for you, TSpoon, anything to improve yourself/your resume is a good thing. If you are interested in taking that course, take it. It can't hurt.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Canadian Forces Applicants Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/366983979998767/

BMQ Nov 5th 2012

Offline TSpoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:43 »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was plthinking about continuing to volunteer on te side anyways but now I definately will.Right now I've got about 120 hrs and I'd like to get that up to atleast 200+ before I apply.Thanks again. :cdn:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth war is much worse." - John Stuart Mill

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 14:36:48 »
My suggestion would be to look beyond simply leadership courses - you'll get plenty of that in the CF - and look at courses that are part of a Diploma in Military Arts and Sciences (DMASc) program.  DMASc courses will help you in the long run and some can lead to accreditation by RMC towards a degree.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline TSpoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 15:00:05 »
My suggestion would be to look beyond simply leadership courses - you'll get plenty of that in the CF - and look at courses that are part of a Diploma in Military Arts and Sciences (DMASc) program.  DMASc courses will help you in the long run and some can lead to accreditation by RMC towards a degree.

Thanks for the suggestion.I just did a quick search and it looks as if Seneca College has such a program in partnership with RMC.It says in the course description it's meant for current NCM's but that it is open to the public aswell.This also seems like a very good option but I wouldn't want to look like to much of a Keen-er come application time.Although now that I think of it, that's probably exactly the kind of people they're looking for. :cdn:

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
    • Afghan Ops
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 18:06:18 »

Further to that, how about thinking longer term and going to school for something that may not be directly related to employment as an infanteer? People get hurt, loose interest or for whatever reason end up leaving the CF. Having a diploma in something that you could fall back on would not hurt your chances for getting into the CF and would set you up with a plan B in case things don't work out. There are also programs that might qualify you for other trades within the CF in case you decided you want to do an occupational transfer at some point. Going to school is easy when you are 18, when you get married, have kids and a mortgage to pay, it can be very difficult to upgrade your academic credentials.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2012, 21:33:24 »
Would having a college certificate in Leadership studies ( one year course) help to better my chances of being offered a job.

No. Having a highschool diploma and  passing your aptitude test, passing your medical, not having any administrative problems and being lucky enough not to have your paperwork lost will get you picked just as easily as having a masters in physics and speaking 5 languages.

So many people change their mind or quit or get hurt between being off the street and finishing their trade course that it's a waste of time for recruiting to sit down and put everyone in a pecking order for who gets put on course.

Being as "competitive" as possible means you'll do better on course and both in the military and throughout your life.

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2012, 21:45:23 »
No. Having a highschool diploma and  passing your aptitude test, passing your medical, not having any administrative problems and being lucky enough not to have your paperwork lost will get you picked just as easily as having a masters in physics and speaking 5 languages.

So many people change their mind or quit or get hurt between being off the street and finishing their trade course that it's a waste of time for recruiting to sit down and put everyone in a pecking order for who gets put on course.

Being as "competitive" as possible means you'll do better on course and both in the military and throughout your life.

This isn't sound advice.

TSpoon, all other things being equal, yes you will have a better shot if you upgrade your education.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2012, 22:09:41 »
So if CF recruiting will hire someone with a college degree over someone without does that mean they will also hire combat veterans from Afghanistan who already have basic training, trade training, specialty courses all their equipment and are physically fit over someone from the street?

You'll have a better shot at life if you upgrade your education. IMO it doesn't increase someones chances at getting picked.

I've love to say getting into the CF is very competitive and only the best of the best will make it..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 22:17:45 by ObedientiaZelum »

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2012, 22:26:34 »
You'll have a better shot at life if you upgrade your education.

CF recruiting school doesn't pick someone with a college degree over someone without.

CF recruiting center process's applications.  They've pumped people through who have been unable to write their own name or who have passed the aptitude test because they guessed through the aptitude test and got lucky.

I've love to say getting into the CF is very competitive and only the best of the best will make it..

The recruit school doesn't pick anyone. They take the recruits they get. Right now it's competitive to get an interview let alone an offer in many trades. Education is one way an applicant can distinguish him or her self.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 22:38:05 »
I'll look into it and retract my comment if I'm wrong.

Offline jwtg

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 22:47:03 »
The way it was explained to me during my application process was that each candidate is merit listed in order of a score that is calculated based on a lot of things, and one of the factors in that 'score' is education.  Doesn't it stand to reason that more education = better score?

Also, the vibe I'm getting (and I could be wrong) from ObedientiaZelum is that we might be expressing a preference for education over character traits/important qualities of a good recruit.  I don't think that's the case.  I think we're simply saying that more education = better score.  Certainly doesn't erase the need for those intangible qualities you mentioned.

Offline Trick

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2012, 00:50:58 »
The way it was explained to me during my application process was that each candidate is merit listed in order of a score that is calculated based on a lot of things, and one of the factors in that 'score' is education.  Doesn't it stand to reason that more education = better score?

Also, the vibe I'm getting (and I could be wrong) from ObedientiaZelum is that we might be expressing a preference for education over character traits/important qualities of a good recruit.  I don't think that's the case.  I think we're simply saying that more education = better score.  Certainly doesn't erase the need for those intangible qualities you mentioned.

I agree. Being the right type of person for the job is the most important. Degrees won't get you the job, nor will memorizing every unit/weapon in the CF or your year in Krakow learning Polish. What these seemingly irrelevant things will help with though is separating you from the all the other right people. Your pursuit of education can show a lot about who you are, even if you never speak a word of that Polish in your entire CF career. Now I'm not a recruiter, but I'd venture a guess that between two applicants with all other things being equal, they'll take the one with a better academic history. The bottom line is that improving your credentials DOES make you a more attractive candidate than someone who's been flipping burgers for 3 years instead. I don't mean to sound elitist, but that's life.

I would also echo the others and say to study something that you're interested in outside of a military context. Maybe that is military history. Or maybe it's German, or chemistry, or tool making. It will give you something to fall back on if for any reason you find yourself out of the forces. Studying something you're genuinely interested in will also help you do well- improving your chances of getting in. Generally speaking, anything the CF will NEED you to know, the CF will teach you. I wouldn't be worried about taking things like Leadership courses in college. In terms of an application, I'd imagine volunteer experience that demonstrates leadership would probably be even more desirable.

Offline TSpoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2012, 16:57:39 »
I agree. Being the right type of person for the job is the most important. Degrees won't get you the job, nor will memorizing every unit/weapon in the CF or your year in Krakow learning Polish. What these seemingly irrelevant things will help with though is separating you from the all the other right people. Your pursuit of education can show a lot about who you are, even if you never speak a word of that Polish in your entire CF career. Now I'm not a recruiter, but I'd venture a guess that between two applicants with all other things being equal, they'll take the one with a better academic history. The bottom line is that improving your credentials DOES make you a more attractive candidate than someone who's been flipping burgers for 3 years instead. I don't mean to sound elitist, but that's life.

I would also echo the others and say to study something that you're interested in outside of a military context. Maybe that is military history. Or maybe it's German, or chemistry, or tool making. It will give you something to fall back on if for any reason you find yourself out of the forces. Studying something you're genuinely interested in will also help you do well- improving your chances of getting in. Generally speaking, anything the CF will NEED you to know, the CF will teach you. I wouldn't be worried about taking things like Leadership courses in college. In terms of an application, I'd imagine volunteer experience that demonstrates leadership would probably be even more desirable.

Thanks for everyone's replies

Being a more attractive candidate is precisely why I wanted to improve my education credentials, just in case it comes down to me and someone else with a similar application.I've also decided to volunteer with habitat for humanity throughout the course of next year to get more hours. Thanks again for everyone's replies :cdn:

Offline matthew1786

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2012, 17:26:19 »

Thanks for everyone's replies

Being a more attractive candidate is precisely why I wanted to improve my education credentials, just in case it comes down to me and someone else with a similar application.I've also decided to volunteer with habitat for humanity throughout the course of next year to get more hours. Thanks again for everyone's replies :cdn:

That's great! I'm sure that your volunteer experience will resonate just as much as a strong education. Keep it up!

Offline TSpoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2012, 18:06:43 »
That's great! I'm sure that your volunteer experience will resonate just as much as a strong education. Keep it up!

Thanks alot!!! At first I thought that I'd help out with some builds around the city but now I've started looking into going to either Mongolia or Africa someplace to help biuld houses over there. It looks like a lot of fun regardless of how it might help with the application process. :cdn:

Offline kutchie

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2012, 19:12:40 »
Hey guys and gals, after a very long wait, I finally got a call back from a warrant officer to come in and have a face to face with them for what trade i want to go into for the canadian armed forces. Ultimately I chose Infantry for many reasons, The recruiter at this time (keep in mind this was today....October.9th/2012) told me that infantry is not hiring at the moment, when i asked him when approx they would be hiring again for a better understanding of when to re apply he was as clueless as i was replying "maybe next year....maybe longer" and shrugged his shoulders. This DOES NOT help me at all and for someone who has been tryin to get in for a very long time i'm gettin vey frusterated and almost ready to turn the other way. That being said is there ANYONE who maybe has some inside info or info of there own as to when infantry for canadian armed forces (Toronto prefferably thats where i live) will be hiring or accepting applications again? OR do i need to just re apply again and play the waiting game again and hope i get a call back......is this all worth it? any suggestions would help ESPECIALLY in regards to an approx date to re apply. Thanks alot. Chris

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2012, 19:25:21 »
Soemtimes someone tells you 'no' and they simply mean exactly that.

We are not hiring off the street for regular force infantry. We will at some point in the future, but do not as of yet know when. Why is that hard to wrap your head around? You can choose to walk away from it if you wish; rest assured it will make zero difference to the CF, and another applicant who is more patient may get a spot instead. Rest assured that if you choose not to call once a month between now and when it reopens, others will be.

Infantry will resume hiring when the Canadian Forces need more people to join as infantry applicants. Not before. When it does, those who have remained in touch with the recruiters will be told as much and they will begin their process.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.