• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Para Availability Pres (Toronto)

Reaction score
I am 15 about to turn 16 and have been interested in joining the CAF since I can remember since my mom,dad and grandfather were all in it. I live in Toronto and have been on the Queens own Rifles website and they use being a paratrooper as a big reason to join their regiment. I have two questions how do I pick which regiment I join or is it predetermined by where in the city I live and If i do join the Queens own Rifles as a Infantryman what are the odds I get the opertunity to get training to be a paratrooper?if it is based on merit or fitness what exactly would I need to do/Achieve in the regiment to be given the specialized training?

I Can't say this is 100% true, but an acquaintance of mine transferred from the 48th Highlanders to the QoR. He told me that they ran the basic jump course physical test and would award the slots available to the individuals who scored highest on the test as an incentive to keep the regiment in good physical condition. Take everything I saw with a grain of salt, though, as I am not a member of the CAF let alone in the regiment.

I am 15 about to turn 16 and have been interested in joining the CAF since I can remember since my mom,dad and grandfather were all in it. I live in Toronto and have been on the Queens own Rifles website and they use being a paratrooper as a big reason to join their regiment. I have two questions how do I pick which regiment I join or is it predetermined by where in the city I live and If i do join the Queens own Rifles as a Infantryman what are the odds I get the opertunity to get training to be a paratrooper?if it is based on merit or fitness what exactly would I need to do/Achieve in the regiment to be given the specialized training?
I can't answer your other questions but if you're doing Reserves then the regiment you join is typically the one you signed up with, so in this case the QoR regiment would be the one you join. Toronto has several regiments for the 3 branches, so unlike Reg Force which sends you off after BMQ to somewhat predetermined locations for training, the Reserves won't be as predetermined. (I may be completely wrong though so take what I say with a heaping spoonful of salt)

if it is based on merit or fitness what exactly would I need to do/Achieve in the regiment to be given the specialized training?

Make sure you can do at least 7 chin ups, 31 sit-ups, and run 1.6kms in 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

It's a safe bet if there are 20 new soldiers in the unit and only 10 positions available on a basic para course they're going to take the most fittest ones - that means you need to better than the numbers I listed.

Back