Author Topic: U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)  (Read 75542 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: U.S. Politics 2016 (split fm US Election: 2016)
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2017, 08:12:57 »
Or relying on any one single picture - as you so aptly put it in another thread with something similar to the first attachment.  Along the same lines, though.

Right.  In this day an age where people make careers out of lying and fake news we need more sources that singular pictures.  The amount of people that believe sometbing,  a picture or story,  posted on Facebook is incredible.

When it comes to news I'd trust you 100 times more than cnn etc..     You seem quite unbiased,  you should start your own snoops style website. (seriously)
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2017, 08:22:45 »
Right.  In this day an age where people make careers out of lying and fake news we need more sources that singular pictures.  The amount of people that believe sometbing,  a picture or story,  posted on Facebook is incredible.
Without insulting anybody's intelligence, people find it easier when they see something simple.  Something simple usually doesn't reflect the entire reality, but it's easy to "get".  I'm guilty, too, of sometimes sharing memes that I could have fact checked because I go, "yeah, what THAT says".  #CaveatLector

When it comes to news I'd trust you 100 times more than cnn etc..     You seem quite unbiased,  you should start your own snoops style website. (seriously)
Thanks for the kind words, Jarnhamar.  When it comes to bias, I like to tell people I'm more liberal than some of my conservative friends, and more conservative than some of my liberal friends, sometimes surprising both  ;D

Or is my seeming lack of bias a lack of faith in any party of any colour some days?  ;)
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:58 »
Regarding estimating crowd sizes from an "I was there" point of view.

I was sent into some major events in the course of my duties ( A little shy of 37 years in this city. Only NYC and LA are bigger. ),

The 2003 Rolling Stones concert in Toronto. The largest rock concert in Canadian history, and one of the largest in North American history.
Caribana - North America's largest street festival.
Pride - apparently the world's second largest gay pride festival.
World Youth Day 2002
CNE

etc...

My employer sent me into many other large crowds in this city. Some were friendly, others not so much.

As a non-expert, speaking only for myself, when it comes to estimating crowd sizes, all I can say is that when they send you into the middle of these things, on the ground, it is impossible.

I was used to working in large crowds. But, estimating their size is best left to the experts, in my opinion.

For anyone interested, crowd size in yesterday's Women's protests in America, Canada and around the world,

"Sister marches were organized in all 50 states and Puerto Rico, as well as in 55 global cities, including Tokyo, Sydney, Nairobi, Paris, and Bogotá. On the morning of the march, people marched in Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Bangkok, Delhi, Cape Town, and other cities."

Including Canada,

"More than thirty events were organized across Canada with at least twenty organized in the Province of British Columbia alone. An estimated 60,000 people attended a rally at Toronto's Queen's Park in solidarity with the March on Washington. In Vancouver, an estimated 15,000 people assembled in Jack Poole Plaza before parading through the downtown area. Other cities included: Balfour, Bowen Island, Calgary, Castlegar, Charlottetown, Courtenay, Edmonton, Fredericton, Gabriola Island, Grand Forks, Halifax, Hamilton, Kamloops, Kelowna, Kimberly, Kingston, Kootenay Bay, Lethbridge, London, Montréal, Nanaimo, North West River, Orangedale, Ottawa, Port Dover, Prince George, Revelstoke, Roberts Creek, St. Catharines, Saint John, Salmon Arm, Salt Spring Island, Saskatoon, St. John's, Sutton, Sydney, Tofino, Victoria, Winnipeg, and Yellowknife.

Hundreds of Canadians are estimated to have travelled to Washington, D.C. to attend the rally. A number of Canadians heading to the United States to attend other protests and rallies were turned away at the Canada–United States border."

United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March#United_States

Worldwide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March#Worldwide

References,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March#References

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 14:04:31 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2017, 09:40:54 »
As a non-expert, speaking only for myself, when it comes to estimating crowd sizes, all I can say is that when they send you into the middle of these things, on the ground, it is impossible.

I was used to working in large crowds. But, estimating their size is best left to the experts, in my opinion.
Good point -- for anyone interested, in theory, anyone who's done estimating distances w/the military will understand one way used by journalists & others to estimate crowd sizes ...
The method goes back to the late 1960s and a University of California at Berkeley journalism professor named Herbert Jacobs, whose office was in a tower that overlooked the plaza where students frequently gathered to protest the Vietnam War. The plaza was marked with regular grid lines, which allowed Jacobs to see how many grid squares were filled with students and how many students on average packed into each grid.

After gathering data on numerous demonstrations, Jacobs came up with some rules of thumb that still are used today by those serious about crowd estimation. A loose crowd, one where each person is an arm's length from the body of his or her nearest neighbors, needs 10 square feet per person. A more tightly packed crowd fills 4.5 square feet per person. A truly scary mob of mosh-pit density would get about 2.5 square feet per person.

The trick, then, is to accurately measure the square feet in the total area occupied by the crowd and divide it by the appropriate figure, depending on assessment of crowd density. Thanks to aerial photos or mapping applications like Google Earth, even outdoor areas can be readily measured these days.
When I used to be a journalist in the middle of such things, I'd try to get an overview look and estimate, or I'd ask cops who were controlling things. 

You can always ask the organizers, but bet on inflation.  You can ask counter-protesters if there are any, but bet on exaggeration.  Or you can take an average of the last two for a very crude average.

I've heard that some people practice this by throwing a handful of beans on a table, guesstimating the number, then counting them up - may be useful for smaller groups, but I wouldn't want to clean up 1/2 a million beans to practice  ;D

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:32 »
Hard to say if it's another fake story but I read one of the women ORGANIZERS,  is pro sharia law with family connections in HAMAS and recently met up with an ex Hamas operative.

Also Trump got more overweight women walking in one day than Michelle Obama did in 8 years.

Linda Sarsour
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2017, 10:22:15 »
Also,  mass protests aimed at preventing attendance ,  threats of property damage and physical assault (include being kidnapped and  tortured)  really negate the whole crowd size dick comparing  too.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2017, 11:44:13 »
Also,  mass protests aimed at preventing attendance ,  threats of property damage and physical assault (include being kidnapped and  tortured)  really negate the whole crowd size dick comparing  too.

I think there's value in reframing these kinds events to emphasize their value to improving the overall health of our people, and maintaining a resolve to continue with our fitness based New Year's resolutions  :nod:

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2017, 14:49:13 »
It seems that the lies coming out of the White House are "alternative facts" according to Kellyanne Conway.

Conway then tried to pivot to policy points. But later in the interview, Todd pressed Conway again on why the White House sent Spicer out to make false claims about crowd size, asking: "What was the motive to have this ridiculous litigation of crowd size?"

"Your job is not to call things ridiculous that are said by our press secretary and our president. That's not your job," Conway said.

Todd followed up: "Can you please answer the question? Why did he do this? You have not answered it -- it's only one question."

Conway said: "I'll answer it this way: Think about what you just said to your viewers. That's why we feel compelled to go out and clear the air and put alternative facts out there."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/22/politics/kellyanne-conway-alternative-facts/index.html

While there are undoubtedly a large number of hard core Trumpists who will continue to believe anything he, or his people, say, one has to wonder just how long the mass of the people (and not just the so-called snowflakes) will put up with this?

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 17:32:10 »
It seems that the lies coming out of the White House are "alternative facts" according to Kellyanne Conway.
If a says, "x was more than y", and b (which counts x & y) says, "just the opposite," how would that play if PMJT was "a"?  Would people trust a or b more?   Yeah, I'm suuuuuuuuure everyone would buy that as an "alternative fact" without "a" getting aaaaaaaaaaaany flack at all ...

Interesting how #POTUS45's picking this as the first substantive thing to deal with. 

We'll see how #POTUS45DayOne goes tomorrow - remember the Day One list, and, for the record, the first 100 day list (no later than 30 April 2017) - also attached in case link doesn't work for you.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 17:55:15 »
"After 1968 the history of the Left can be told as a story of sour grapes." David Chandler

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14781158.2013.831822
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 18:38:16 »
"The trick, then, is to accurately measure the square feet in the total area occupied by the crowd and divide it by the appropriate figure, depending on assessment of crowd density. Thanks to aerial photos or mapping applications like Google Earth, even outdoor areas can be readily measured these days."

I have to look up some of these quoted sources of information I have never heard of ( outside of Radio Chatter ).  :)
From Reply #3255,
The Gateway Pundit
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Gateway_Pundit

When it comes to news I'd trust you 100 times more than cnn etc..     

"Russians are playing @CNN and @NBCNews for such fools - funny to watch, they don't have a clue! @FoxNews totally gets it!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/814958820980039681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"After 1968 the history of the Left can be told as a story of sour grapes." David Chandler

Take me back to anytime AFTER they drafted Elvis into the Army, and BEFORE the Beatles arrived in New York. 

Don't care which party the President or Prime Minister belong to.  :)

Alternative facts, fake news and Trump's war on mainstream media

The experts estimate the 470,000 participated in the at the women's march in DC. And when attendance at similar marches in other US states are thrown in, the total protest is estimated to have included from one million to 2.6 million people.

That makes them the biggest protests since the Vietnam War; and in anyone's language, a passionate pushback to a new presidency.

Trump inauguration the most poorly attended in more than 20 years. Here are the figures: Obama, 2009 - 1.8 million; Obama, 2013 - 1 million; Bush, 2001 - 300 000; Bush 2005 - 400 000; Clinton, 1993 - 800 000; Clinton, 1997 - 250 000.

Trump can't pretend to be surprised. He knew that he lost the popular vote by a good 3 million votes; that he squeaked through the Electoral College thanks to just a handful of votes in three states; and that, historically, he's the least popular incoming president - ever.

And he can't erase the facts that the Russian hacking and the FBI's weird intervention late in the campaign took some of the wind out of Hillary Clinton's campaign sails, thereby leaving many questioning the legitimacy of his "greatest win ever".
http://www.smh.com.au/world/alternative-facts-fake-news-and-trumps-war-on-mainstream-media-20170122-gtwmdl.html

While there are undoubtedly a large number of hard core Trumpists who will continue to believe anything he, or his people, say, one has to wonder just how long the mass of the people (and not just the so-called snowflakes) will put up with this?

:goodpost:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 22:58:55 by mariomike »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2017, 22:01:37 »
Yes, this link is IJR, but it at least has photos with credits to Getty image photographers to compare the 2 crowds, instead of a Buzzfeed-esque twitter post with no credit and 140 characters of biased opinion. I really don't think the White House is right, but neither is the media and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Of course Obama would have had a bigger crowd in 2009, he was the first Black president, it was a nice day outside, and he enjoyed a large basis of local support. Trump had neither of those things and still managed a respectable-sized crowd.

http://ijr.com/2017/01/783445-trump-vs-obama-inauguration-here-are-the-real-photos-you-decide/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=ods&utm_term=ijamerica

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 22:08:02 »
When you provide such a wide range estimate of 1 million to 2.6 million people I question whether or not you have any idea what you are talking about.

Not you specifically mariomike, just the so called "experts" who provided the figures.

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 22:24:09 »
My above post was in reference to the statement about the number of people who participated in the women's marches around the globe.

Not that I really care about the numbers as 2 million isn't the majority of women on the planet, and we all know that everything must revolve around majorities. ;)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 22:30:11 »
There's just too many to list!  :)

Protests against Donald Trump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump#Inauguration_protests

2017 Women's March
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March

President Bush Sr. was in Toronto twice, and Reagan once. Both were well received, as I recall.

President Obama's visits to Toronto and Ottawa were described as "love-ins" by the police.

When Obama was in Toronto, the G20 was on. There were protests, but I do not believe they were directed towards him personally.

Barack Obama's rapturous reception in Canada draws White House reaction
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/barack-obama-white-house-reaction-1.3661152
The U.S. president's speech in the House of Commons netted about four-dozen applause breaks

Be interesting to see what sort of reception the new president receives, should he venture into Canada.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 22:57:50 by mariomike »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 23:02:58 »
There's just too many to list!  :)

Protests against Donald Trump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump#Inauguration_protests

2017 Women's March
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March

President Bush Sr. was in Toronto twice, and Reagan once. Both were well received, as I recall.

President Obama's visits to Toronto and Ottawa were described as "love-ins" by the police.

When Obama was in Toronto, the G20 was on. There were protests, but I do not believe they were directed towards him personally.

Be interesting to see what sort of reception the new president receives, should he venture into Canada.

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be."

Socrates

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2017, 23:12:19 »
I assume the Trump administration is trying to spin the crowd size favourably, but I suppose their lie will have less impact than "you can keep your doctor".  Remember how much the press blew up over that one when it was uttered?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"Yet another in a long line of books about how libertarians are plotting to enslave you by devolving power to the individual and leaving you alone" - Warren Meyer, author of Coyote Blog

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 23:14:21 »
I thought Shakespeare would come up with a line like that!  :)

"He did, Shaw, he did!."

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 23:47:32 »
a passionate pushback to a new presidency.

By a pack of dysfunctional non-adults looking for any excuse to be offended and throw collective tantrums.

he lost the popular vote by a good 3 million votes

Irrelevant.

And candidates do not campaign to win the national popular vote, but for the most state popular votes, the values of which are weighted by the number of congressional seats in each.

Mr Trump's campaign was designed to succeed in the right contest, and it did.

he squeaked through the Electoral College thanks to just a handful of votes in three states

More than his opponent did, and more than enough. And in Democrat-leaning states, as well.

historically, he's the least popular incoming president - ever.

Not that any of the pre-election polls reflected reality, either... Pollsters aim to please those who pay them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBDQrldGmPU

Russian hacking and the FBI's weird intervention late in the campaign took some of the wind out of Hillary Clinton's campaign sails, thereby leaving many questioning the legitimacy of his "greatest win ever".

The Democrats picked the worst possible candidate. She ran a very poor campaign. She failed to connect with too many people, and took previous Democratic-leaning voters in rust belt states for granted, and enough of them bought into Mr Trump's message.

She should have been disqualified just for being under multiple FBI investigations - a single one will prevent anybody under it from applying for any federal US job.

The FBI should have referred the illegal and insecure e-mail server investigation to the Department of Justice for prosecution. There was more than enough evidence to do so. Perhaps we will eventually learn why that did not happen, as well as why Comey reversed himself twice (many believe that he did so the second time because he did not want to "commit suicide", or be "robbed" like Seth Rich).

Several investigations are continuing, and may well - and should - result in serious charges. She would have been the first presidential candidate to have been elected while undergoing multiple FBI investigations, likely the first to have been prosecuted for numerous actual crimes while in office, and the first to have been ineligible for a security clearance. Political influence may have shielded her, as it has shielded Bill as well for far too long, for a while at least, but their crimes will catch up to them eventually. Impeachment was assured regardless.

Her health problems were also a concern to many.

The Project Veritas Action videos, wherein a small group of journalists infiltrated the Clinton campaign and supporting organizations, and surreptitiously filmed their boasts of stealing the nomination from Bernie Sanders and violently disrupting Mr Trump's rallies, and their illegal schemes for swaying the election results, did as much damage to Clinton as the Wikileaks did - and that was completely the efforts of Americans.

I have yet to see evidence of actual Russian interference, and even Julian Assange has stated, several times, that his source was not Russian. There are other theories of equal validity, one involving Seth Rich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Seth_Rich. Julian Assange hinted that Mr Rich might have been the source, but he will not reveal his source directly.

Exit polls did not point to Wikileaks revelations as the main reason why people did not vote for her, but economy and jobs.

She lost, and rightfully so.

Mr Trump won, and rightfully so.

And, more importantly, America won.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 00:35:20 »
By a pack of dysfunctional non-adults looking for any excuse to be offended and throw collective tantrums.

Irrelevant.

And candidates do not campaign to win the national popular vote, but for the most state popular votes, the values of which are weighted by the number of congressional seats in each.

Mr Trump's campaign was designed to succeed in the right contest, and it did.

More than his opponent did, and more than enough. And in Democrat-leaning states, as well.

Not that any of the pre-election polls reflected reality, either... Pollsters aim to please those who pay them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBDQrldGmPU

The Democrats picked the worst possible candidate. She ran a very poor campaign. She failed to connect with too many people, and took previous Democratic-leaning voters in rust belt states for granted, and enough of them bought into Mr Trump's message.

She should have been disqualified just for being under multiple FBI investigations - a single one will prevent anybody under it from applying for any federal US job.

The FBI should have referred the illegal and insecure e-mail server investigation to the Department of Justice for prosecution. There was more than enough evidence to do so. Perhaps we will eventually learn why that did not happen, as well as why Comey reversed himself twice (many believe that he did so the second time because he did not want to "commit suicide", or be "robbed" like Seth Rich).

Several investigations are continuing, and may well - and should - result in serious charges. She would have been the first presidential candidate to have been elected while undergoing multiple FBI investigations, likely the first to have been prosecuted for numerous actual crimes while in office, and the first to have been ineligible for a security clearance. Political influence may have shielded her, as it has shielded Bill as well for far too long, for a while at least, but their crimes will catch up to them eventually. Impeachment was assured regardless.

Her health problems were also a concern to many.

The Project Veritas Action videos, wherein a small group of journalists infiltrated the Clinton campaign and supporting organizations, and surreptitiously filmed their boasts of stealing the nomination from Bernie Sanders and violently disrupting Mr Trump's rallies, and their illegal schemes for swaying the election results, did as much damage to Clinton as the Wikileaks did - and that was completely the efforts of Americans.

I have yet to see evidence of actual Russian interference, and even Julian Assange has stated, several times, that his source was not Russian. There are other theories of equal validity, one involving Seth Rich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Seth_Rich. Julian Assange hinted that Mr Rich might have been the source, but he will not reveal his source directly.

Exit polls did not point to Wikileaks revelations as the main reason why people did not vote for her, but economy and jobs.

She lost, and rightfully so.

Mr Trump won, and rightfully so.

And, more importantly, America won.

And, two words: Pant Suit :)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2017, 08:57:37 »
Regarding Reply #3269. I can't take credit for the quotes. They belong to this source,

"Alternative facts, fake news and Trump's war on mainstream media"
http://www.smh.com.au/world/alternative-facts-fake-news-and-trumps-war-on-mainstream-media-20170122-gtwmdl.html

In another post,

These protests are not easy to ignore.

"This marks the protest as the largest combined protest across the United States."

Associated Press

Over 1 million join anti-Trump women's marches worldwide
https://apnews.com/de267a3227574cb182b953cb60e69ae2/Over-1-million-join-anti-Trump-women's-marches-worldwide

Reuters

Women lead unprecedented worldwide mass protests against Trump
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15608K

I don't believe anyone was arrested. It's not just the so-called "snowflakes".

She would have been the first presidential candidate to have been elected while undergoing multiple FBI investigations, likely the first to have been prosecuted for numerous actual crimes while in office, and the first to have been ineligible for a security clearance.

CNN
November 7, 2016
FBI clears Clinton -- again
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/06/politics/comey-tells-congress-fbi-has-not-changed-conclusions/
"FBI Director James Comey told lawmakers Sunday the agency hasn't changed its opinion that Hillary Clinton should not face criminal charges after a review of new emails."

Regarding Security Clearance,

January 16, 2017
Maclean's

"What is absolutely certain, however, is that if Trump were a cabinet nominee (and not a cabinet nominator) his many Kremlin connections, conflicts, and compromises would make it impossible for him to obtain a security clearance."
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/washington/is-donald-trump-a-russian-agent/

Regarding mandatory retirement. In the US, Air traffic controllers have mandatory retirement at age 56.
Yet, they'll hand the codes to a 70 year-old man starting a four-year term.

What sort of welcome he can expect to receive in Canada, 

The Globe and Mail
"Sources familiar with the Trudeau government’s plans say Canadian officials are worried that mass protests would disrupt Mr. Trump’s visit to Canada, and that view has been shared with the President’s team."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/us-president-trump-and-prime-minister-trudeau-plan-to-meet/article33699643/

Thank-you for your post. I respect your opinions.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:06:03 by mariomike »

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:09 »
....a pack of dysfunctional non-adults looking for any excuse to be offended and throw collective tantrums.
Hell, that should be the sub-title of all  the political threads.   ;D

That, and "haters and cheerleaders; while there is no middle ground and any facts may be lies or alt-facts, there is no shortage of repetition."    :nod:

Offline Chispa

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:37 »
What else can one expect from #Lyin'Trump and Kellyanne the Con is on her Way.

Lying lips Conway: White House press secretary (Spicer) gave "alternative facts" when he inaccurately described the inauguration crowd as "the largest ever" during his first appearance before the press this weekend.

Yes we know Alternative Facts... what a load of S.

C.U.

History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper legwork have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog  http://wp.me/55eja

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2017, 12:17:37 »
What else can one expect from #Lyin'Trump and Kellyanne the Con is on her Way.

Lying lips Conway: White House press secretary (Spicer) gave "alternative facts" when he inaccurately described the inauguration crowd as "the largest ever" during his first appearance before the press this weekend.

Yes we know Alternative Facts... what a load of S.

C.U.

If one carefully parses the various statements from the Trumpistas, they were referring to the world-wide television audience as well as those in attendance. Unfortunately few of the commentators on either side of the issue cared to make the distinction. A pox on both their houses.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2017, 12:31:53 »
CNN
November 7, 2016
FBI clears Clinton -- again
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/06/politics/comey-tells-congress-fbi-has-not-changed-conclusions/
"FBI Director James Comey told lawmakers Sunday the agency hasn't changed its opinion that Hillary Clinton should not face criminal charges after a review of new emails."

Of course he said that. He didn't want to commit suicide by shooting himself five times in the back while suspended from a rafter by his belt.

Seriously, there was so much corruption in the Department of Justice (and elsewhere) that he knew that no charges would be laid no matter what he said, presuming that Hillary won, of course.

Pressure was put on the FBI to drop the other investigations as well, but agents carried on regardless. She will look mighty fine in orange.

Regarding Security Clearance,

January 16, 2017
Maclean's

"What is absolutely certain, however, is that if Trump were a cabinet nominee (and not a cabinet nominator) his many Kremlin connections, conflicts, and compromises would make it impossible for him to obtain a security clearance."
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/washington/is-donald-trump-a-russian-agent/

I was unaware that Macleans was the approval authority for security clearances in the US. Silly me.

Regarding mandatory retirement. In the US, Air traffic controllers have mandatory retirement at age 56.
Yet, they'll hand the codes to a 70 year-old man starting a four-year term.

Regarding mandatory retirement, "they'll" worry about an energetic, healthy, and successful seventy-year-old man's ability to make sound decisions but not about a Canadian senator being "allowed" to make far-reaching decisions until age seventy-five, a Supreme Court judge up until death at whatever age, or a corrupt, criminal, self-serving, viciously-tempered, seriously ill woman with a previous head injury that appears to be causing such severe continuing effects that she cannot function adequately at debates without an earpiece and prior knowledge of the questions and has sold herself to foreign governments for huge "donations".

Donald Trump is not "Air Traffic Controller of the United States". He is "President of the United States". There is a difference.

And the mandatory retirement age for commercial Pilots is sixty-five. Air Traffic Controllers must be lesser individuals.

As for the fakey-fakey then/now photographs purporting to show that Mr Trump had significantly fewer attendees than his predecessor, this CNN photograph http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/ was taken at the actual time of the ceremony and it looks pretty well attended to me - not a lot of the white spaces in that other photograph show up in this one.

I tried to find Waldo Technoviking, but not for long. He's not pretty enough.

Donald Trump won. He picked good people, and ran a very successful campaign at very little cost. Despite being told, at every step, that he would lose miserably, he defeated all of his Republican rivals and the "guaranteed to win" crooked Democrat. The Republicans gained Senate and House seats, and state governors. This was a bigger win than just the Electoral College.

Geographically, the Democrats cling to tiny patches of the US.