Author Topic: 29 Jan 2017: Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Re: 29 Jan 2017: Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2017, 08:16:05 »
Not a huge dig, but there's more than enough on BOTH topics to keep threads healthily fed without force-feeding one or the other - thanks!

No worries at all.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2017, 08:55:14 »
He will not mount a successful insanity defense.

Not necessarily successful, but under the circumstances, what other defence could his lawyer(s) attempt?

Meanwhile, "Fox News apologizes for erroneous Quebec terror tweet".  Let's see if that slows down the "False Flag Machine" on social media -- <sarcasm>yeah, I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure it'll close the door on that angle </sarcasm>.

:)   :goodpost:

Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2017, 09:52:14 »
Trudeau’s PMO takes on Fox News over a ‘false and misleading’ tweet about the Quebec mosque shooting

Trudeau, 'false and misleading’ ?  Funny headline.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:30 »

What did the Prime Minister say or do that was 'false and misleading’ regarding: "29 Jan 2017: Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque"?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:24:41 by mariomike »

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2017, 10:30:14 »
Nothing.

IMHO
based on his election campaign and results of his government to date, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2017, 10:40:04 »
Nothing.

IMHO  based on his election campaign and results of his government to date, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

I'm not defending his politics, one way or the other. I'd be more likely to vote for "American Idol" or "The Voice" than our federal elections.  :)

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2017, 10:52:05 »
I believe you have previously posted (and took down) that you don't vote in Provincial or Federal elections. You of course don't vote in US elections at any level so I don't comprehend your Trumpitis.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2017, 11:49:58 »
Uh, I think that's referring to one of the early FOX News initial Twitter posts/headines being false/misleading (which, to be fair to FOX, has been corrected, and was the same as a LOT of MSM outlets were going with until replacing it with more current info).
I believe you have previously posted (and took down) that you don't vote in Provincial or Federal elections. You of course don't vote in US elections at any level so I don't comprehend your Trumpitis.
It's called "having a different opinion" - whether someone votes or not.

Meanwhile, a bit more on the "terrorism" labeling thing ...
Within 24 hours of Sunday’s shooting in a Quebec City mosque, 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette stood in a prisoner’s box as the 11 charges against him were read aloud.

By then, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had already condemned the killing of six worshippers as a terrorism attack. Other political leaders, federal and provincial, also called it an act of terror.

And yet, Bissonnette was charged with six counts of first-degree murder and five counts of attempted murder — but not with any terrorism offences.

Why not? According to experts, there could be several reasons.

The Criminal Code of Canada defines violent acts as terrorism if they’re done, entirely or in part, for political, religious or ideological purposes and with the intention of intimidating the public or a specific segment of the public.

“It poses two extra burdens on the Crown in terms of proving what was in the mind of the accused at the time of the offence,” Alana Klein, a McGill University criminal law professor, noted on Tuesday.

“It’s much easier to demonstrate that an accused had the intent to kill, which is required for a murder charge, than it is to show the motivation behind his or her actions.”

(...)

“If he wasn’t charged with terrorism it’s because they don’t have the evidence to justify it at this point,” said Louis Morissette, a forensic psychologist, criminology expert and Université de Montréal professor.

“It doesn’t mean it won’t come,” he added. “Investigators will look into his computer or documents at home. They’ll look at his social media accounts or any notes he’s written. Even the books he had in his room.”

Bissonnette also appears to have acted alone, which can disqualify him from most terrorism offences, said Kent Roach, a University of Toronto law professor and expert in anti-terrorism law.

Terrorism charges are mainly designed to be preventive and apply to groups, Roach said.

“A truly lone wolf attack cannot result in most terrorism offences which require participation or support of a group or commission of an offence for a group,” he wrote in an email response on Tuesday ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2017, 14:32:23 »
I believe you have previously posted (and took down) that you don't vote in Provincial or Federal elections.

Rifleman62. Sorry for not replying to you sooner, we had to go shopping.

It's not that I refuse to vote, I just don't follow party politics much. But, I love living in Canada - more so now than ever.  :)
Municipal politics still gets the focus of my attention.

In my 8+ years here,- whichever party gets in - I have never disrespected the Prime Minister of Canada, or Premier of Ontario.

You of course don't vote in US elections at any level so I don't comprehend your Trumpitis.

They put him in Radio Chatter. So, I go by this ROE,

I know I've been gently poked for not having a sense of humour when it comes to some of the digs going on.  To pass along some sage advice, "we have to remember to check if we are in RADIO CHATTER before we want to "seriously" comment on a less than "serious" thread" ;)

No politicians get a Safe Space in Radio Chatter!  :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 16:09:12 by mariomike »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2017, 14:37:48 »
No. You are just grasping at straw. There is a big difference between a school and a university.

The professor is a Laval University Agriculture department professor. The alleged perpetrator was in the Social Sciences department. There are about 60,000 students at Laval University, with a campus about two and a half square kilometres filled with about 30 different pavilions. There is about 800 meters between the Social Sciences pavilion and the Agriculture one, and in Quebec's francophone universities, there are no such things as requirement for a certain number of "electives" out of department. The chances that he knew that prof., while not nil, are pretty remote.

Point taken, I only noted it from the media coverage as possibility. One thing to keep in mind is that while these people were innocent and undeserving of this attack, Islam in itself is not innocent and is also been a motivator for similar attacks on non-muslims. My sympathy will be for the people and families hurt, ruined and destroyed by these actions.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2017, 07:00:52 »
A bit of an update ...
The Quebec City mosque that was the target of a mass shooting last January will boost security after a flux of “hateful messages.” And while they report receiving one or two pieces of hate mail per week, one of the most aggressive ones arrived last week.

The Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec received a package on Friday containing a defaced Quran and a note suggesting the community use a hog farm as a cemetery.

The package arrived two days before a controversial referendum in a nearby town rejected a plan to build a long-sought Muslim cemetery.

The note reads: “You’re looking for a cemetery to bury your dirty carcasses? Then here is an ideal place for you. It will smell like pork anyway.” Last year, a pig’s head with a note that read “bon appétit” was found outside the mosque.

A group that campaigned aggressively against that cemetery say they had nothing to do with the defaced Quran.

While Friday’s package might be the most aggressive message the mosque has received in recent months, the centre’s president Mohamed Labidi says the hate mail has become increasingly common — he told VICE News that the mosque receives one or two hate messages per week.

“We have received a lot of messages like ‘go to your home, you’re not safe here,’” he added. “There is some fear. We try to calm our community to pass through these difficulties … and to fight together to eradicate racism and xenophobia.” ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter