• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Case and point this is the Army's latest youtube Video about reserve life, I see a lot of kit the reserves dont use in the video, bit of false advertising which will lead to "wait so I can't work on/operate a LAV? im gone"

http://youtu.be/ItRPjUN0UAo

Wow, I consider myself a cheerleader of the reserve, and that video was a bit much. Don't give people unrealistic expectations, or everyone will walk away disapointed.

MilEME09 said:
Case and point this is the Army's latest youtube Video about reserve life, I see a lot of kit the reserves dont use in the video, bit of false advertising which will lead to "wait so I can't work on/operate a LAV? im gone"

http://youtu.be/ItRPjUN0UAo

Lies, damn lies, and army recruiting ads  ;D

MilEME09 said:
The serious point in there that I can find is that training has to be interesting and engaging for the troops to keep people coming back. Also you should know sometimes it takes the whole EX just to get those radios working :p

For what its worth, I'd like to see an end to these silly waste of time and effort one hour courses that are mandatory for all. Its pure BS and they are distractions from the real training our soldiers need to do. CTAT, Info Management etc......

Jim Seggie said:
For what its worth, I'd like to see an end to these silly waste of time and effort one hour courses that are mandatory for all. Its pure BS and they are distractions from the real training our soldiers need to do. CTAT, Info Management etc......

It just reflects the massive arse covering culture we're suffering from these days, sadly.

(And there are some really, really massive arses out there to cover!  ;D)

However, a day or two of leadership planning can spread that pain out over the training year - one one-hour brief every second training night or so, with the more interesting stuff wrapped around it.

Of course, when it comes to interesting training, my perspective is that only the Army could take automatic weapons and explosives and make it boring...

dapaterson said:
However, a day or two of leadership planning can spread that pain out over the training year - one one-hour brief every second training night or so, with the more interesting stuff wrapped around it.

Of course, when it comes to interesting training, my perspective is that only the Army could take automatic weapons and explosives and make it boring...

The issue here is "you have until (date) to complete this."

Real training has to be shunted aside for some dickwads "good idea".

One suggestion I made that wasn't taken was instead of wasting all this training time schedule an entire weekend and get it all dine in two days time. Bang done or make an online PowerPoint that can be accessible from home and tell the member you have until X day to read it all

MilEME09 said:
One suggestion I made that wasn't taken was instead of wasting all this training time schedule an entire weekend and get it all dine in two days time. Bang done or make an online PowerPoint that can be accessible from home and tell the member you have until X day to read it all

The problem with this approach is that once the troops find out that they are coming in to suffer "death by a thousand PowerPoints", they simply stay home.

MilEME09 said:
or make an online PowerPoint that can be accessible from home and tell the member you have until X day to read it all

You're were joking about this part?  How many pay sheets do they get to sign for working from home?

If I was going to make them work for free from home, they'd be doing PT, ruck marches or weapons or something actually useful and relevant to the defence of Canada...not "DRT SET Media Awareness Briefing" stuff.  ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
You're were joking about this part?  How many pay sheets do they get to sign for working from home?

If I was going to make them work for free from home, they'd be doing PT, ruck marches or weapons or something actually useful and relevant to the defence of Canada...not "DRT SET Media Awareness Briefing" stuff.  ;)

I've done several instances of doing work via DND learn without signing a single paysheet. I am competely serious, schools do it, I've seen companies do (including my own employer) why not the CF? this way to everyone gets the check in the box not just the ones who show up.

MilEME09 said:
I've done several instances of doing work via DND learn without signing a single paysheet. I am competely serious, schools do it, I've seen companies do (including my own employer) why not the CF? this way to everyone gets the check in the box not just the ones who show up.

And for the rank and file, its dead wrong. I put in extra time too, developing ideas, checking up on folks, and writing up AARs and memos. But shoveling in *mandatory* BS into troops lives to fit in is unacceptable.

There's something that needs doing, it gets done in the workday - however much it needs to be extended. Buddy's sick that day, he gets time to make it up. No precedents for unpaid work should be allowed. If that makes the load on the training year unreasonable, then that needs to be pushed back.

MilEME09 said:

I too gave many free hours once upon a time while doing Class A service.  How many units keep their head above water off these unpaid hours of work ?  Your willingness to use personal time for PRes stuff is great but should NOT be the standard or an expectation of part time soldiers. 

I lived and breathed the Class A, Class B and Class B/A worlds with Res F Ech units, Reg and Res force battle schools, Bde HQ, etc so I am fairly familiar with many of the issues pres folks face.

Doing the Crowns work on your own time is honourable ; but should never be an expectation or allowed to become the normal way to do business, for a whole list of reasons.

From the Info machine:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=908509

Government of Canada expands support to Canada's reservists and their employers

November 25, 2014

OTTAWA – The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence, today announced a new Government of Canada program, which will provide financial support to employers of Canadian Armed Forces reservists who deploy on operations.

Canada’s reservists make an extraordinary commitment and many personal sacrifices to keep Canadians safe.  The Compensation for Employers of Reservists Program will provide compensation to employers of reservists who grant their reservist-employees leave to deploy on operational duty. The program, delivered jointly by the Department of National Defence and Employment and Social Development Canada, will fulfill our government’s commitment to ensure employers of Canadian reservists have more support when reservists are called upon to serve Canada through military operations.
Quick Facts

Employer support is a force enabler, and is key to the generation of skilled forces.  Reservists have the unique challenge of balancing the demands of civilian careers with military duty.
    A sustainable Reserve Force, trained and equipped to meet the operational needs and challenges of the Canadian Armed Forces, is critical to operational success.
    The Government of Canada is enhancing programs and policies to ensure that Canadian reservists receive the widest possible support, care, and recognition they deserve for the vital contributions they make to Canada and Canadians.

Quotes

“Today’s announcement is welcome news for Canadian Armed Forces, and indeed all Canadians. Reservists are a vital part of the Canadian Armed Forces, making valuable contributions to operations at home and abroad.  The Compensation for Employers of Reservists Program will help offset costs incurred by employers, due to hiring replacements or dealing with lost productivity, when reservists deploy on operational duty.”
    The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence

“Reserve employer support directly contributes to the operational readiness of the Canadian Armed Forces.  The Compensation for Employers of Reservists Program enhances the existing suite of employer support programs currently in place to ensure that Canada maintains an effective, deployable Reserve Force and that reservists are able to balance the demands of two concurrent careers.”
    Rear-Admiral Jennifer Bennett, Chief Reserves and Cadets

“The introduction of this program ensures that Canada remains at the leading edge in delivering a world-class employer support program that answer the needs of the reservists and the Canadian Armed Forces, while building bridges with employers and business leaders in communities across Canada who support the work of the Canadian Armed Forces.”
    Mr. Scott Shepherd, National Chair, Canadian Forces Liaison Council

Great news. Now if they could do something like that for training...

cryco said:
Great news. Now if they could do something like that for training...

Thats a good idea, on the other hand how about making it so that we are guarantied to have our job waiting for us when we get back? and make it so that we have to be given time off for training.

MilEME09 said:
Thats a good idea, on the other hand how about making it so that we are guarantied to have our job waiting for us when we get back? and make it so that we have to be given time off for training.

You would have to define 'training' then. Otherwise, you'll have some COs and RSMs (and yes they are out there) that would be saying to their soldiers,

"Look, I know you make $240.00\ night on the evening shift at work, but there's legislation saying your employer needs to give you time off for training. Well, we expect to see you Thurs night, a training night, and you'll be paid a half days pay, in your case, about $45 before taxes and mess dues. See you Thursday."

I see your point, but it does eliminate the probably of troops not showing up cause they cant get time off, cause lets face it many employers aren't exactly reserve friendly, or know what the reserves are even

Back