• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Motorcycle dress code question

kolkim said:
....I asked my supervisor and he shut it down. Says you cannot wear civilian attire to work so wearing a jacket and pants over cadpat wouldn't be allowed.

Your supervisor is an idiot.

I know my Wing has similar rules about reporting to work in civies and PT gear.  Each element has some stupid rules and I endured more of them in green than I do in blue.

Try walking around Stadacona with the lid on your Tims coffee open.  It's a capital crime don't you know! 

Occam said:
From 4 Wing Dress Policy - Wing Standing Admin Order 232

18. Motorcycles/Bicycles. When riding to and from work, proper protective safety equipment should be worn as detailed in Ref H. When in uniform and wearing protective equipment, after dismount, personnel are to adhere to the 1-metre rule. Dismount bike, remove safety equipment and put on proper headdress. There is to be no mixing of civilian and military clothing once outside the 1-metre area around your motorcycle or bicycle.

To the OP, read the last sentence again.  Have your boss read it too.  If they can't understand or disagree with it tell them to go visit the WCWO.

The order doesn't say you can't mix, it says you can't proceed to mix when you are done riding.  You wouldn't wear cadpat pants with a red windbreaker into work after getting out of your car on a rainy day. 

I've been in Cold Lake for 8 years and it's pretty clear you are not at the big 3 flying squadrons. I've worked at all of them. All summer long people I work with ride their pedal bikes from as far as Cold Lake North (15-25 kms) and change at work. Some ride their motorbikes with leather jackets mixed with visible cadpat pants. And they park their bikes 1-4 m from the hangar door (depending where that building's MC parking is) and don't necessarily strip off the leathers. Your supervisor is full of it for the most part. But personally if I rode a mc and parked where 1 AMS parks their bikes, you are 30-40 m from the 1 Hangar front door. Not worth a negative encounter in my opinion. Slightly different situation than 4 Hgr where you can almost touch the front door and your bike at the same time.

I still think that, if you're dressed head to toe in riding gear OVER your CADPAT (so said CADPAT can't be seen) then you aren't really mixing the two in the spirit of how the regulations were written and should be able to wear them into the building where you can then remove them.

And as for having to go to and from work in uniform, I have to ask where you work that they have such a stupid rule.  Was this rule in place after the shootings in Ottawa last year too?  ???

Strike and CDNAIRFORCE, I'm working at 10 FTTS atm, back at my usual workplace in the X area they're much more lenient on things like this. Not too sure if the Ottawa shootings have anything to do with any of this.

I agree with Strike that if I'm not showing any CADPAT I should be able to take off my gear once in the building but then again this is the military and uniformity is important.

If it's concealed, it's not mixed. I used to wear a dry rider suit to work in Chilliwack in the 80s, when the army was waaay more anal about this sort of thing, and never got a sideways look.

8 wing is not the only wing you are required to show up for work in uniform.  I have had this before as a green DE Mr so I am not sure what all the groaming is about.

Eye In The Sky said:
8 wing is not the only wing you are required to show up for work in uniform.

Then I guess that reinforces the generally held belief that NDHQ is neither a base or wing or station since people show up in all manner of sports attire/civvies etc. and change while at work.  Some even shower first. :)

I guess the Wings that are more remotely located from big centers don't see a need for folks to blend in as much while in transit?

Eye In The Sky said:
I guess the Wings that are more remotely located from big centers don't see a need for folks to blend in as much while in transit?

You clearly FAIL cam and concealment when you're walking down Laurier Avenue in civvies with your DEU in a dry cleaner's bag over your shoulder and wearing a CADPAT backpack.

Haggis said:
You clearly FAIL cam and concealment when you're walking down Laurier Avenue in civvies with your DEU in a dry cleaner's bag over your shoulder and wearing a CADPAT backpack.

I deliberately carried my uniform into and out of LFCA HQ in a clear drycleaning when it was in leased accommodation at Yonge and Finch during Henault's (cbuh) ban on us wearing uniforms in public post-2001 attacks in New York.

kolkim said:
Strike and CDNAIRFORCE, I'm working at 10 FTTS atm, back at my usual workplace in the X area they're much more lenient on things like this. Not too sure if the Ottawa shootings have anything to do with any of this.

I agree with Strike that if I'm not showing any CADPAT I should be able to take off my gear once in the building but then again this is the military and uniformity is important.

10FTTS. That explains it all. At times, it's the closest thing to CFSATE in Cold Lake. It has nothing to do with Ottawa. For the record in case you were not in Cold Lake when that happened, nobody was told not to wear their uniform in public. It was "highly suggested" to use discretion when you did. For example, picking up a few things at the grocery store on the way home or stopping at Tims on the way to work was acceptable. (Our work continued our daily coffee runs) Spending an hour in the store buying a cartful of groceries or going for lunch at a sit-down restaurant was not. Just do what they say until you go back to normalcy your normal place of work. motorcycle season is done soon anyhow.

Pur a request in to the base CE unit to gave a phone booth constructed in your parking lot.  :nod:

Haggis said:
Then I guess that reinforces the generally held belief that NDHQ is neither a base or wing or station since people show up in all manner of sports attire/civvies etc. and change while at work.  Some even shower first. :)

In Ottawa, I ride my bicycle to work most days (even in winter because the canal pathways are cleared).  In my last office in Ottawa, I would ride in, go upstairs to my cubicle (usually dripping and muddy), pick up my uniform in a suit bag and then leave the building to go to the closest CF gym to shower, then walk back in uniform.  At the end of the day, rather than walk back to the gym, I would simply change in my cubicle. Our cubicles had sliding doors so there was no risk of others in my office seeing anything, but anyone with binoculars in the highrise across the street would get an eyeful!

Back