• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

Patience, Youngling. The rest of your life before you, you have.

In the meantime, spellcheck, proper grammar, sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation please use.

Welcome to Army.ca you are.

From CANFORGEN 038/11

3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17.

Nothing here says that high school does not count. I know that I enrolled a guy in January who is 16 and who had no trouble going through CFRC. He's still in high school full time. I do not know if explicitly that reasoning was used by CFRC, but there was no hindrance and they certainly knew his age.

Brihard said:
From CANFORGEN 038/11

3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17.

Nothing here says that high school does not count. I know that I enrolled a guy in January who is 16 and who had no trouble going through CFRC. He's still in high school full time. I do not know if explicitly that reasoning was used by CFRC, but there was no hindrance and they certainly knew his age.

Yeah I'm going to head down to the recruiting office sometime next week and see if there's anyway I could at least start my processing now. I have no problem waiting I was just confused because I was told different things.

jackmomma said:

Yeah I'm going to head down to the recruiting office sometime next week and see if there's anyway I could at least start my processing now. I have no problem waiting I was just confused because I was told different things.

All you can do is get the forms and fill them out.  The CFRC will not process them until such time as you are of age.  The forms in the meantime may become lost or destroyed.

George Wallace said:
All you can do is get the forms and fill them out.  The CFRC will not process them until such time as you are of age.  The forms in the meantime may become lost or destroyed.

The previous poster stated he had a member sworn in at 16 this past January. Given that, CFRC would process him at 16.

3b of CANFORGEN 038/11 would appear to apply.

I'm beyond confused I understand you need to be 17 to enlist but I have different people telling me all different things so I'm just going to have to wait till next week when I am able to go in to the recruiting centre to see what they have to say.

jackmomma said:
I'm beyond confused I understand you need to be 17 to enlist but I have different people telling me all different things so I'm just going to have to wait till next week when I am able to go in to the recruiting centre to see what they have to say.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know what CFRC's latest take is.

Well you can look at my situation.

Currently I am still 16 (turn 17 in May) and I already started my application at an artillery reserve unit in Vancouver (dropped it off on Feb. 28th). I was told by the recruiter that all my testing and interview can be finished right now, but I have wait till my 17th birthday to actually be sworn in. (And for the trade to open up April 1st)

I talked to them today and they said there is no way of joining at 16, 17 is the legal age and they recommended I go to the cadets.

jackmomma said:
I talked to them today and they said there is no way of joining at 16, 17 is the legal age and they recommended I go to the cadets.

You are incorrect. Went to the CFRC the other day and was told at 16 I'm fine. I asked about the entry plan and he asked, "Are you in high school?" I of course answered yes. He told me that's it! So if you're 16, in high school and have parental consent you are in fact ale to join to reserves.

Greenr said:
You are incorrect. Went to the CFRC the other day and was told at 16 I'm fine. I asked about the entry plan and he asked, "Are you in high school?" I of course answered yes. He told me that's it! So if you're 16, in high school and have parental consent you are in fact ale to join to reserves.

You might try PM'ing the name and contact info of that recruiter to the poster who was told otherwise.

Trying to trump a local CFRC recruiter's knowledge with "this guy on the internet told me you're wrong" might be less than productive.

A name@forces.gc.ca e-mail address should be sufficient.

To be quite honest, I forget his name - if I saw it I would remember but there's no staff list for me to look up online. I'm surprised two different recruiters are saying two completely different things though.

He was from the Toronto CFRC and I believe it was polish (ended in ski) and started with a K.

Greenr, you are 16 years old right now correct?  Will you be turning 17 in this year? 

To enlist in the PRes you do have to be 17, this changed last year?  If you are currently 16 but will be turning 17 soon you can probably start the application process. Perhaps that is why your recruiter said it wasn't a problem.

Wow I am really getting fed up with this, everyone keeps saying 16 which i know is true but when I talk to somebody they tell me to go join the cadets.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/howtoapply-106

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

2. Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except: • Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation: • Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation

jackmomma said:
Wow I am really getting fed up with this, everyone keeps saying 16 which i know is true but when I talk to somebody they tell me to go join the cadets.

Trust me, it's 17.

But what about this also off the website
would like to join the Canadian Forces. What are the basic requirements?

You must meet the following minimal conditions: be a Canadian citizen; be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/guardian consent for minors; have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites.

There was a message some time ago that stated the age for the Reserves is 17.

jackmomma,  not all parts of that site are up to date;  trust us it is 17.  I believe the official message that states the change was posted on the forums aswell.

Yeah ill just wait, i'm just confused that some people were able to enlist at 16.

Back