• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAP said:
Nah, Churchill has little in the way of excess housing. Use Kapyong.

Ship in ACCO trailers.  They were good enough for PMQ's on the Pine Tree Line.  They could be used after the "crisis" to encourage more to move North, or as Temp Qtrs for organizations involved in business or leisure in the North, or moved to any other location that would need them.

The problem with these migrants (NOT those that are sponsored by family members.) is that they are not happy with what is being given to them and are inclined to wander off the environs that are set up for their administration, disappearing into the population.  Placing them in any location within a metropolitan area is only asking for problems.  From experience in Germany, when they accepted Russian, Polish and other immigrants who had claims to German heritage after the Wall came down, the crime rate in the locations that they were settled rose 500%.  (Experience from 1990's in Lahr/Offenburg region.)  There is a good possibility this experience will be repeated.

George Wallace said:
The "Oktoberfest" speil was all an unknown blogger in the UK, with not known identity, who raised a bogus "demand".  It has NO credible authenticity.
Why let facts gets in the way of a good fear mongering?

Altair said:
Why let facts gets in the way of a good fear mongering?
Wasnt that the NDP and Liberal supporters entire set of campaign messaging for the past election?

Being weary of the intentions of people who are violently trying to move from safe country to safe country is not fear mongering. If they were fleeing fighting in Syria they should be happy in whatever EU nation they got to.

So I'm not opposed to allowing Refugees in to the country.  I had a great argument with my significant other about this today though.  I said that I would be willing to allow refugees into Canada on the condition they stay with Canadian families that are willing to house them while they await a residency claim.  I said I would be more than willing to sponsor a family and that they could even live in my house as long as they agreed to follow my rules.

My significant other was vehemently opposed to this of course.  Her thoughts were that they should be allowed to come here but she wants nothing to do with them and wouldn't want them living in her house.  I disagreed with her and said if we are willing to accept these people in to our country, we should be willing to accept them in to our homes.  I think the average Canadian wants that feel good moment of helping someone,my it doesn't want to actually do anything to earn it.  If we can't accept someone in to our home, why. Should they be allowed to settle here?

Humphrey Bogart said:
So I'm not opposed to allowing Refugees in to the country.  I had a great argument with my significant other about this today though.  I said that I would be willing to allow refugees into Canada on the condition they stay with Canadian families that are willing to house them while they await a residency claim.  I said I would be more than willing to sponsor a family and that they could even live in my house as long as they agreed to follow my rules.

My significant other was vehemently opposed to this of course.  Her thoughts were that they should be allowed to come here but she wants nothing to do with them and wouldn't want them living in her house.  I disagreed with her and said if we are willing to accept these people in to our country, we should be willing to accept them in to our homes.  I think the average Canadian wants that feel good moment of helping someone,my it doesn't want to actually do anything to earn it.  If we can't accept someone in to our home, why. Should they be allowed to settle here?

I agree.  If you do not have the trust in the 'guest' to live in your home, then why be hypocritical about it and allow them into the country and have an affect on other Canadians peace of mind.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I think the average Canadian wants that feel good moment of helping someone,my it doesn't want to actually do anything to earn it.
I think you've hit both ends of the "committment spectrum" - "so happy to have 'em that I'll put some up" to "let 'em in as long as they don't disturb my chunk of the universe".

Not to mention the extension of the spectrum to cover the "none are too many" camp.

George Wallace said:
If you do not have the trust in the 'guest' to live in your home, then why be hypocritical about it and allow them into the country and have an affect on other Canadians peace of mind.
NIMBY defined right there.

As I have made clear, I think, in  these fora, I believe that our, global, response to refugees is, to be charitable, madness.

I believe that most legitimate refugees want to return to their homes and our second priority should be to help them to do that.

Our first priority ought to be to make them safe (and reasonably comfortable) as close to home as possible.

Priority 1 costs money: to persuade neighbouring states to accept refugees; to build and staff camps with schools and hospitals and, and, and ... and, when the camps in the regions are full to overflowing, to build new camps farther away. But, camps from which almost all the refugees will, eventually return to their homes, not new homes in far away, foreign lands.

Priority 2 costs even more: making the place from which refugees fled safe, may, likely will require concerted, swift, violent, large scale military action.

But doing 1 and 2, in fairly short order, is the right answer ... doing what we (Canada) proposes is more madness.

My take?

What is being proposed by the incoming government is not a refugee scheme. A vanishingly small percentage of the 25k that they propose to import from the Middle East will ever return home.

What is being proposed is taking 25k hastily screened people and (effectively) moving them to the front of the immigration queue. I would hope that the quality of the screening remains high, but I have worked around bureaucracies long enough to accept that there will be all sorts of unforeseen second and third order effects.

interesting times....

Altair said:
good fear mongering?

Lame.  Accusing someone of fear mongering is ripped from the same page book as calling someone a nazi in a political argument.  If you don't think there's valid crap to be afraid of out there you obviously haven't turned on the news or better yet seen it for yourself.  Research some of the problems associated with mass-relocating refugees.

PuckChaser said:
Being weary of the intentions of people who are violently trying to move from safe country to safe country is not fear mongering. If they were fleeing fighting in Syria they should be happy in whatever EU nation they got to.

Yup. There's videos and news articles about them refusing to be located to countries they feel don't provide enough hand outs and free shit, to be blunt.  Country shopping.

Humphrey Bogart said:

I think this is the best summery I've seen or will see on the issue.

People want to feel good and tell themselves they've helped out the down trodden but it's another story when their own lives are directly impacted.
Will the new Prime minister be taking in one of these families?

One of my friends was at the same base that took in those refugees years ago.  Lots of stories stories of what happened never hit the news (he said soldiers were basically told to STFU about what was going on).  I do remember there were instances of them bringing in diseases including a big TB scare if I recall correctly.

I agree with SeaKingTacco, they're not looking to return home. Why would they?

Jarnhamar said:
Yup. There's videos and news articles about them refusing to be located to countries they feel don't provide enough hand outs and free shit, to be blunt.  Country shopping.

Once they do that, they are no longer refugees in my books; but "Economic Migrants".

Harper's Government was working for three years to bring in families of Canadians of Syrian descent, doing the proper screening and ensuring that they would have the family resources and assistance to integrate into Canadian society.  There is no MAGIC WAND that can safely do that in two months and ensure that the "Economic Migrants" that Trudeau wants to bring in will not be a burden on our resources and Welfare System.  I will not dwell on security risks.

George Wallace said:
Once they do that, they are no longer refugees in my books; but "Economic Migrants".

Harper's Government was working for three years to bring in families of Canadians of Syrian descent, doing the proper screening and ensuring that they would have the family resources and assistance to integrate into Canadian society.  There is no MAGIC WAND that can [size=14pt]safely do that in two months[/size] and ensure that the "Economic Migrants" that Trudeau wants to bring in will not be a burden on our resources and Welfare System.  I will not dwell on security risks.

Very true, but ...

1. Canadians were promised just that wand in the last election campaign;

2. Canadians voted for the guys and gals who promised to do magic tricks; and

3. Watch for the emphasized word to be sacrificed in the name of political expedience.

Germany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEUARxP2NSI

Greece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8hpKx_oOk

Hungary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMdtbfMnVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl16QDk2sig

I'm actually pretty excited about this. 

1. My CCOI course was canceled. I'm still course wait listed so I'm hoping I get another chance at the course.
2. I hate flying, I'm thinking we'll be able to collect danger pay at home? (minus dudes crying because clerks get the same danger pay of course)
3. Won't have to miss my family for 6 months at a time.

Jarnhamar said:
Germany
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEUARxP2NSI

Greece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8hpKx_oOk

Hungary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMdtbfMnVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl16QDk2sig

I'm actually pretty excited about this. 

1. My CCOI course was canceled because the army didn't have (couldn't afford?) the ammo to run it. I'm still course wait listed so I'm hoping I get another chance at the course.
2. I hate flying, I'm thinking we'll be able to collect danger pay at home? (minus dudes crying because clerks get the same danger pay of course)
3. Won't have to miss my family for 6 months at a time.

If we open the floodgates is this what we will expect here or will we cave into them and give them everything they want?

Chief Stoker said:
If we open the floodgates is this what we will expect here or will we cave into them and give them everything they want?

Good question.
Given the numerous examples of our LEOs ignoring latent crimes being committed like barricading roads, harassing travelers, trespassing etc.. by some First nations members I suspect the latter. I can envision our LEOs being told to back off in order to avoid bad publicity or images like in those videos I posted.  If 50 first nations members are allowed to blockade highways and national rail ways what can 25'000 refugees do?

Jarnhamar said:
Good question.
Given the numerous examples of our LEOs ignoring latent crimes being committed like barricading roads, harassing travelers, trespassing etc.. by some First nations members I suspect the latter. I can envision our LEOs being told to back off in order to avoid bad publicity or images like in those videos I posted.  If 50 first nations members are allowed to blockade highways and national rail ways what can 25'000 refugees do?

Problem is I suspect we have a lot more than 25'000 before long. I'm all about helping people however I would like to see these people be placed in a safe area and returned to their home country when and if their situation stabilizes. The social system cannot afford this. I wonder where all the bleeding hearts will be when start to have incidents like in Germany and the rest of Europe.

Chief Stoker said:
Problem is I suspect we have a lot more than 25'000 before long. I'm all about helping people however I would like to see these people be placed in a safe area and returned to their home country when and if their situation stabilizes. The social system cannot afford this. I wonder where all the bleeding hearts will be when start to have incidents like in Germany and the rest of Europe.

Walking around some of the streets in German cities right now is like walking around a street in a foreign land that is NOT Germany.  The numbers of Muslims and others from not only the Middle East, but South West Asia, Pakistan, Turkey and North Africa totally outnumber the German population. 

Don't worry, we're likely going to dump them into military bases. We'll still need ID to get onto the base, but the Syrians won't need a background check to live there.

I recommended we use the urban ops sites, plenty of empty buildings.

PuckChaser said:
I recommended we use the urban ops sites, plenty of empty buildings.

Some will probably feel at home with the bullet marks on the walls and soldiers doing dynamic entries all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back