• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

"Home prices" is something for which all the parties are going to try to create a plank, while the simple fact is that the magnitude of the problem places it well outside anything the federal government can do with money. The single most powerful lever in federal hands is the number of people allowed into the country. The single greatest limitation on anything they try to do to make it easier to build is that there isn't a vast underemployed building trades work force.

Saw that yesterday. I think some riding associations definitely need some scrutiny. I’d apply that statement to all parties.
Yup, I suspect you’re right.

Even just figuring out which bits of law apply could be messy.

Behind a paywall, but Andrew Coyne happens to tackle this today in the Globe.

BLUF: while elections are run fairly and properly, nominations are, and have always been, a dog’s breakfast. Now it’s a national security issue. The parties better sort their shit out.

BLUF: while elections are run fairly and properly, nominations are, and have always been, a dog’s breakfast. Now it’s a national security issue. The parties better sort their shit out.

This is specifically captured in bill C-70, the new amendments to various statutes to counter foreign actor interference. The government absolutely has its eye on this risk form a criminal law amendments standpoint. I've been meaning to make a broader post about that bill but just haven't had the time yet, too bogged down with school.

This is specifically captured in bill C-70, the new amendments to various statutes to counter foreign actor interference. The government absolutely has its eye on this risk form a criminal law amendments standpoint. I've been meaning to make a broader post about that bill but just haven't had the time yet, too bogged down with school.

I’d love to hear your take on this bill. All I have heard about were the foreign agent registry and updates to several statutes, but nothing on nominations.

From Andrew Coyne's article

This is nonsense. Corporations are private organizations, too, but I don’t notice the parties are in any great haste to relieve them of all state supervision. Neither do they seem to object to regulations that serve their interests, from the tax credit for political donations to the reimbursement of campaign expenses out of public funds to the 1972 law that first required candidates to obtain the approval of the party leader. (Before then the ballots did not even list a candidate’s party affiliation.)

The arrival of the modern world and the Party Leader .... 1972.

Former members of Parliament interviewed by Samara for its 2014 study,Tragedy in the Commons,” reported an overwhelming sense of bewilderment about the nomination process, a feeling of being manipulated by unseen forces. MPs, the study’s authors write, “spent a great deal of time describing how painful and mystifying they found this particular aspect of their entry into politics.”

They “struggled to articulate how nominations functioned, citing a lack of clarity in time lines, sources of decision making and the application of the rules. Procedures varied widely from riding to riding, and the process appeared subject to a host of idiosyncrasies, giving the impression that the party’s, rather than the people’s, favoured candidate was selected.

And this was how the winners assessed it! (“We cringe to imagine what those who were less successful might say.”) But then, this was merely their introduction to the brutalization they were to experience later, as elected MPs – their first taste, as the Samara authors write, of “the bullying and controlling behaviour of their parties.”

That’s partly a consequence of how they were nominated: Not only are MPs often the hand-picked choice of the leader, but no candidate, incumbent or otherwise, can run without the leader’s signature on his nomination papers. They are at the leader’s mercy, utterly dependent on his or her favour not only for any chance of advancement, but even to hold on to what they have.

And yet the same does not apply in reverse. While members of caucus are, effectively, chosen by the leader, they have little or no say in how the leader is chosen. Canadian party leaders, federal and provincial, are elected, not by the caucus they will lead, but by a vote of the members

Concentration of power.

Back