• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Optometry/Optical Clinic on Base Borden

haliopt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am delighted to announce that I am opening an Optometry/Optical practice on Base Borden. Our services include eye exams, contact lenses, laser correction co-management, prescription and non-prescription sunglasses, and safety eyewear.

I wanted your opinion on what eyewear brands would be in high demand. Would brands like Oakley, Ray Ban, and Maui Jim (prescription and non-prescription sunglasses) be popular? I also carry WileyX, the U.S. military's go-to safety and ballistic eyewear brand.

I am curious to know if most personnel would prefer to stay within their insurance coverage or would be willing to pay extra for high-quality, stylish frames, high-quality anti-glare lenses, transition lenses that change in the sun, and overall better lens quality.

I am thrilled to offer this comprehensive service on Base and look forward to serving the Canadian Military.

Hello everyone,

I am delighted to announce that I am opening an Optometry/Optical practice on Base Borden. Our services include eye exams, contact lenses, laser correction co-management, prescription and non-prescription sunglasses, and safety eyewear.

I wanted your opinion on what eyewear brands would be in high demand. Would brands like Oakley, Ray Ban, and Maui Jim (prescription and non-prescription sunglasses) be popular? I also carry WileyX, the U.S. military's go-to safety and ballistic eyewear brand.

I am curious to know if most personnel would prefer to stay within their insurance coverage or would be willing to pay extra for high-quality, stylish frames, high-quality anti-glare lenses, transition lenses that change in the sun, and overall better lens quality.

I am thrilled to offer this comprehensive service on Base and look forward to serving the Canadian Military.
I should be there for log school after BMQ. I was told by medical to chill on buying glasses before BMQ, so I'll come see ya.

I should be there for log school after BMQ. I was told by medical to chill on buying glasses before BMQ, so I'll come see ya.

Before you go running off in all directions, you should probably find out what the vision care benefits are under the CAF Spectrum of Care.

Eye Examination: All members of the Reg F and those entitled Res F Members (in accordance with QR&O 34.07) are entitled to one (1) eye examination every 24 calendar months by an outsourced provider (optometrist or ophthalmologist) for the purpose of assessing visual acuity to acquire prescription eyewear. Any additional requirements for vision assessments for occupational assessments must be preauthorized by the Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (CF H Svcs C). Members must take with them a CF 2007 – Canadian Forces Ophthalmology Case Record, available on the Defence Forms Catalogue or at the Medavie Blue Cross Client Member Portal, for the provider to record the assessment. This record must be returned to the CF H Svcs C for inputting into the health record.
Entitled Personnel: All members of the Reg F and those entitled Res F members (in accordance with QR&O 34.07) are entitled to optical services as outlined in the Canadian Forces Health Services (CF H Svcs) Policy and Guidance: Optical Supply and Services: Entitlement to Frames and Lenses, Policy # 4020-05.
Entitlement to Prescription Eye Glasses: Members are entitled to receive prescription eyewear to a maximum reimbursable amount every two years. The reimbursable amount can be found online at the Client Member Portal of the federal health claims processing service.
Generally, members will acquire one (1) pair of glasses, to include frame and prescription lens of their choice (clear or tinted, i.e. sunglasses) or new lenses in a current frame. Frames must be IAW CAF Dress Instruction. In addition, two (2) ballistic eyewear (BEW) inserts fitted with prescription lenses will be supplied to all entitled personnel for operational requirements. Recruits will be provided ballistic inserts while undergoing training and will be entitled to receive full vision benefits with entitlement to regular glasses at their posting location. Members posted out of country follow the same policy as above.
Obtaining frames and lenses: Entitled members will obtain eye examination, frames and lenses through providers of their choice. The reimbursement amount can be found online at the Medavie Blue Cross Client Member Portal. Any amount over and above the authorized amount is at the member`s expense.

Hello burdseyeflu,
I wanted to let you know that the clinic will open in the first week of May. Please stop by so we can verify your Blue Cross coverage. I am looking forward to meeting you!
I hope this service will benefit the personnel working and training at Base Borden.
Precision Vision.

I think you will find that most members are willing to pay the extra above coverage to get something they like. I always have but won't be in Borden anytime. Hopefully things go good for you.

Back