• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Given the crew requirement for CSC, JSS and AOPs, I tend to think that the RCN is better suited into uncrewed subsurface systems, as well as uncrewed surface systems.

I tend to see the AOPS as a Maintenance Area for a Squadron of Drones - MRT, RRB and Int Cell.

Come a major war, Canada is going to need all the Kingston's and AOP's to protect and patrol the coasts. Just maintaining clear routes into Halifax, St Lawrence, Vancouver, Esquimalt, Prince Rupert is going to keep them busy and likely the RCN will have to take over some fishing vessels as well to help out. I expect you would see some very interesting jury rigged armaments sprouting up on them.

I see the threat of a "Q ship" coming in just before a conflict breaks out and deploying smart mines along the routes mentioned above, that will only activate after a certain date. One mine going off and taking out a merchant ship would create havoc in our ports.

Add in container launched missiles and drones from any commercial vessel in harbour or passing down the coast.

Come a major war, Canada is going to need all the Kingston's and AOP's to protect and patrol the coasts. Just maintaining clear routes into Halifax, St Lawrence, Vancouver, Esquimalt, Prince Rupert is going to keep them busy and likely the RCN will have to take over some fishing vessels as well to help out. I expect you would see some very interesting jury rigged armaments sprouting up on them.

I see the threat of a "Q ship" coming in just before a conflict breaks out and deploying smart mines along the routes mentioned above, that will only activate after a certain date. One mine going off and taking out a merchant ship would create havoc in our ports.
Come a major war, how many merchant ships will actually be willing to sail into our waters/ports? With a massive number of merchant ships being flagged in some rather dubious and questionable 'allied' countries, who's to say that these ships even sail close to our ports?

The top 10 flag states by registered tonnage are: Panama, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Hong Kong, Bahamas, Singapore, Greece, Malta, China and Cyprus.

I'd be willing to bet that ships from the Liberia, Marshall Islands, HK, Singapore, China, Cyprus and possibly Malta, all suddenly develop 'engine problems' or 'maintenance issues' and won't enter North American waters/ports.

Come a major war, how many merchant ships will actually be willing to sail into our waters/ports? With a massive number of merchant ships being flagged in some rather dubious and questionable 'allied' countries, who's to say that these ships even sail close to our ports?

The top 10 flag states by registered tonnage are: Panama, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Hong Kong, Bahamas, Singapore, Greece, Malta, China and Cyprus.

I'd be willing to bet that ships from the Liberia, Marshall Islands, HK, Singapore, China, Cyprus and possibly Malta, all suddenly develop 'engine problems' or 'maintenance issues' and won't enter North American waters/ports.
That is a fair question and really depends on how quickly and effectively the West can respond to that threat. Anything that is not critical to the economy is not coming.

Question - why doesn't the RCN simply provide a team to man the armaments/radar aspects of the AOPS, include a 2nd in Command to the ship and turn them ALL over to the CCG. In times of military need/crisis, the RCN 2nd in Command takes over the control of the ship.
Why would we? Believe it or not new kit instead of tired ships with air quality and mold issues actually keep sailors.

View attachment 85049

Where do you find the people? They come in a box for a couple of grand.

You may not like the idea of replacing people with PLCs but you are not the first industry to face the problems of managing people who do not exist.
Until it goes 'bzzzzt' in the middle of the ocean.

Even with remote monitoring, an Enbridge crew is likely no more than an hour or two away and nobody is going be shooting at them enroute.

Even with remote monitoring, an Enbridge crew is likely no more than an hour or two away and nobody is going be shooting at them enroute.
Well hopefully not, but also not unheard of either.....

Option A

Capability that goes bzzzt at inconvenient times

Option B

No capability

Couple of other points -

Remote monitoring is not just an RPAS thing. It has been a pipeline thing for a couple of decades.

Rusty hulls....

I'm told that these things never degrade.

View attachment 85050

Steel replaced wood.
Plastic will replace steel. Especially if no crew are involved.

Smart buoys.

Further to those kick-board things -

When confronted with floating ice - they are likely just to bounce of and glide by.
If under the ice they are likely to resist crushing more than either a hollow steel hull or a carbon-reinforced tube.

He is deathly afraid of the term warship isn't he. I noticed that his remarks referred to underwater surveillance submarines. Would they come with torpedo tubes or simply with sensors in his mind?

He is deathly afraid of the term warship isn't he. I noticed that his remarks referred to underwater surveillance submarines. Would they come with torpedo tubes or simply with sensors in his mind?
What sensors? That would be unsporting old chap!!! ;)

The CP-140M Aurora is still referred to as a “surveillance aircraft”. Sometimes “spy plane” if the article is trying to be spicy 😏

One of the questionable joys of being MND is that nobody takes you seriously. Not even your cabinet colleagues.. especially your cabinet colleagues.
So unless the Prime Minister's Office has your back and they almost never do . Your tenure will be an existence of near total frustration.
I keep wondering how they find anyone to do the job.

One of the questionable joys of being MND is that nobody takes you seriously. Not even your cabinet colleagues.. especially your cabinet colleagues.
So unless the Prime Minister's Office has your back and they almost never do . Your tenure will be an existence of near total frustration.

Season 2 Halloween GIF by Sony Pictures Television

GK .Dundas said:
One of the questionable joys of being MND and also VAC is that nobody takes you seriously. Not even your cabinet colleagues.. especially your cabinet colleagues.

Back