• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rex Murphy, 1947-2024, R.I.P.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Just spotted this - his clever wordsmithing'll be missed. Condolences to family, friends and colleagues ....

Often times I agreed with him, and perhaps equally, I frequently disagreed . Still, I loved the guy. And he loved Canada. He was quite a rare individual who seldom failed to make us question our own assertions while making us chuckle at the same time. R.I.P., Rex.

I liked that he was clearly an intellectual, a Rhodes Scholar, and a Newfie who was down to earth and could connect equally well with Kings and Cod Fisherman.

A great example of the ideal Canadian, in many ways.

A huge loss to Canadian journalism. I never read an article by Rex I didn't agree with.

I will miss his sharp wit and use of the language. I used to turn into all the cross country check ups.

Its a sad day for Canada.

I will miss his sharp whit and rhetoric. Debating with him would be an experience.

Condolences to his family.

Rex was in a certain class of commentator, in which I include Christopher Hitchens - people who politics and ideals I don't always share, but are always worth reading or listening.

The Beaverton offers Rex Murphy's obituary, in the style of Rex Murphy.

Rex had a way of addressing Canadians and Canadian issues that made you feel his personal passion on the matter; without it coming across as vitrolic or pointed.

He brought his learned opinion to the nation. He stood his ground in the face of an increasingly politicized media environment and pulled no punches regardless of political stripe or affiliation.

I owe my own political ambiguity to his commentary, especially the belief that one can and should view every issue through a personal and critical lense; rather than maintaining a partisan stance for the hell of it.

I didn't agree with his stance on a lot of things, but his commentary gave me pause for thought on the issues numerous times.

We are a better nation for his presence, and he will be missed.

Sadly I don't see our current education system producing another one of him. RIP and thank you for all the great moments.

Echoing all of the above. Requiescat in Pacem.

Just spotted this - his clever wordsmithing'll be missed. Condolences to family, friends and colleagues ....
and to the general populace who feasted upon his bits of wisdom and appreciated his saying what we were too tongue-tied to utter ourselves but what we believed. RIP

Most will remember Rex as a commentator, however for some Newfoundlanders of a certain age it will be his forays into politics that originally caught their attention. Firstly, in student politics at MUN during which his public criticism of Premier Joey Smallwood (of both his administration and his person) very much riled the premier but did lead to Joey eventually reversing a decision and living up to a campaign promise of "free university education". Rex's later attempts at the polls (for provincial office) were not as successful but always entertaining. Though he was a little older than me and my contemporaries, he was a role model during a few interesting years of high school student government that saw a couple of reasonably successful student strikes/walkouts.

RIP.

Interestingly, I heard Rex muse once about being a young Liberal and hanging out with PET.

Allegedly, weed was smoked. Allegedly.

It just goes to show that political leanings are not set in stone.

Interestingly, I heard Rex muse once about being a young Liberal and hanging out with PET.

Don't assume that a "Liberal" or a "Progressive Conservative" label in 1960s Newfoundland politics automatically meant that an individual embraced national party doctrine ideology (or platform). In some cases, being on the other side of the aisle simply meant personal opposition to Joey Smallwood. One example of that would be John Crosbie, who after being in Smallwood's cabinet and losing to him in a leadership race, crossed the floor to join the PCs; he then served as a minister in Frank Moores' provincial government before moving into federal politics. Rex Murphy, similarly, worked briefly for Premier Moores before switching parties and trying his hand running (unsuccessfully) as a Liberal. Neither, I expect, changed their fundamental beliefs to fit in with the new crowd. It's just the way politics was down home half a century ago.

Last edited:
Fitting that his last column was to pull the curtain back on the great and powerful Oz. Every comment cutting and on point. His eloquent sarcasm will be missed.

Long may your big jib draw, Rex.

Everyone buys a pig in a polk at least once in their life.😉

Back