• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

special forces workouts

Haggis said:
I did it about four years ago to get back in shape quickly following an injury.  It IS good and no fancy equipment required!

This is about the navy workout, I am also trying to get back in shape from an injury. Thanks for the motivation.

I'm a big fan of that seal workout but you gotta realize that your not required to swim at anywhere near that level in the canadian infantry.

JCof said:
I'm a big fan of that seal workout but you gotta realize that your not required to swim at anywhere near that level in the canadian infantry.

So do more running then if swimming aint' your thing.

JCof said:

I swim like an iron bar.  I substitiuted cycling (2 X the recommended swim workout, as indicated in the program) and spinning classes.

I would highly reccomend slapping in some kettlebell workouts and go with the crossfit workout.

IMO running for more than two hours is ridicolous and shouldn't be done too often.

Run faster and hit the hills harder, that will keep your runs down to 30-50 minutes.

ArmyRick said:
Run faster and hit the hills harder, that will keep your runs down to 30-50 minutes.

That's how the running usually goes, but I want to run more. I hope this isn't too bad on the knees/ankles. Is it?

I was doing a lot of Crossfit in Sept/Oct then got a shoulder injury.....you really need to know how to do the Olympic lifting stuff properly!!!! My shoulder is still messed up after three months. I have been running and started incorporating ruck marches but want to get back into Corssfit.

Any input on how to heal the shoulder?

westie47 said:
Any input on how to heal the shoulder?

Go see a physiotherapist or a doctor who specializes in sports medicine and get it professionally diagnosed. I injured mine back in Dec and now I have a date with an MRI. Because the shoulder is such a complex joint, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. If they are not diagnosed correctly, your injury will not heal. In the mean time... lots of ice, stretching and the occasional Motrin if you need it.
Good luck.

Crossfit rocks and the SEAL workout is pretty good too.

Westie47, try implementing kettlebell snatches, cleans and jerks as a substitute into your workout. I am also expirienced in the OLY lifts and they are very technical (It can take weeks to learn to lift correctly with an empty barbell). The kettlebell lifts are very good and develop alot of the typical weak points in the shoulder/scap area that bothers people new to OLY lifting. Basically its like active therapy.

Of course it all depends on what the nature of your injury is? Soft tissue, joint, ligaments, etc, etc.

ArmyRick,

I believe it was the Olympic lifting that did it. My doctor says it is a rotator cuff injury.

Westie47,

I have been suffering the effects of a rotator cuff injury, off and on for a couple years. When you have a chance this week, I'll show you a couple of the strengthening excercises that my last physio guy gave me.

HH

Rotator cuff injury is very typical of active people. Especially people with poor back/chest strength ratios (Chest is disproportionately stronger than your back). This is typical of athletes who do alot of push ups, dips, bench press and not enough inverted rows, rowing, chin ups to sternum, etc, etc. It also usually ends up in neandrathal posture (Rounded shoulders, sort of hunched).

Tips
-Hit light weight rowing with high, high (like stupid high reps 40-60 reps) on the seated cable row for two-three weeks. include more rowing exercises, better yet, more to follow.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=215weak2

For more injury prevention/correction
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=314nean2
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=315nean2
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-004-training

Some of the kick@ss exercises I enjoy having our DP 1 troops do and myself as well (practical and functional)
-Jerry can PT (Farmers walk)
-Stretcher carry
-Fire man's carry
-Chin ups, push ups (If we had ropes, I would make them climb)
-Squats, lots
-Pull tobbagans in winter (Come in a little early for PT, cancel morning inpsection and give 'er)
-More chin ups and push ups
-IF WE had enough barbells I would include snatch, cleans, jerks, presses overhead
-Sand bag PT (Lift, carry, throw, repeat)
-Push ups, jumping jacks, burpees, leopard crawls, Praying position, leg lifts, etc, etc.
-Hill sprints

I tend to get more creative when conducting body hardening during CQC warm ups with the troops as well. Be creative and give 'er. Also make sure you train all energy systems (Don't long distance running all the time)...

I didn't go through all those T-Nation links, but one of the biggest shoulder injury prevention tips I've picked up is 'active shoulders'. ie/ for the overhead squats, consciously push up on the bar. I didn't know this for my first few encounters with them and tweaked a nerve or something.

ArmyRick: I'm assuming you're DS in Gagetown? I've read the articles on the CrossFit website about the trials that have taken place down there, any idea if CrossFit is making any headway on the air force side of things?

DVessey, I am a DP1 infantry instructor at Meaford. We have one guy on this base who recently came posted in from 2RCR who did the crossfit training. Most of the guys around here have not heard about the CF Crossfit program. I got a hold of the 3VP crossfit program from one of the members on this forum. Its good stuff and its practical.

Not too mention with the winter we are having right now (Where running all the time is not very practical) it makes for a good set of indoor PT.

A good warm up for rotator cuffs is starting your workout with a good warmup but more specifically grab a 5 pnd weight, bend at the waist let your arm hang to the floor and make circles slowly for about 15 one direction then 15 the other for both arms a good way to warm up the rotators.

Seems like the thread has moved toward the discussion of rotator cuff injuries.

I am currently recovering from rotator cuff surgery (26 Feb 07).

The physio plan includes three phases: general warmup, stretching / flexibility, and strengthening.

- for general warmup conduct your usual cardio routine as tolerated. Walking, stationary bike and elliptical were reccommended to me
  because the arm movement and jarring effect of running can cause discomfort in a damaged shoulder. That being said, my physio stated
  that if the pain was bearable. I could run.

- stretching / flexibility
1. assisted front lift
  similar to front raise with dumbell. Lift injured side as high as possible supporting with uninjured arm
  begin lying horizontal the progress to sitting / standing

2. assisted side lift
  while lying on back, take broom handle in hand of uninjured side
  place opposite end of pole in open palm of hand on injured side
  lift injured arm in arc to side of body using pole for assistance

3. cross body stretch
  typical shoulder stretch holding injured arm across body with assistance of uninjured arm

4. stretch behind back
  self explanatory.
  attempt to put injured arm behind small of back, reaching as high as possible
  use uninjured hand for support

strengthening

At this point, I am using thera bands for strengthening. I will eventually progress to dumbells as I regain my strength.

Right now, I am doing 2 x 20 for each exercise.

- front raise
- side raise
- front pull back ( exact opposite movement of front raise )
- side pull down ( exact opposite movement of side raise )
- internal rotation
- external rotation
- close grip rows

I am using two different methods for pain and they have worked very well so far. Lots of ice, homeopathics during the day ( Traumeel tabs and Dr Rekoweg R55 drops, Traumeel gel applied topically ) and 2 x Ibuprofin 400 before bed.

Happy to report I am progressing VERY quickly.

I hope that this info can help anyone who has one of these PITA injuries.

I have used this program with good results: http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/prepare.htm

I also have used the SEALs BUD/s prep program as well: http://www.navyseals.com/community/navyseals/navysealworkout_main.cfm

I now use a hybrid of both (I focus more on the SEALs training mentality towards pushups/pullups/situps/dips and the SFAS prep program's rucking and running paces)

On light days I go to the gym and focus on heavy compound lifts. Squat, bench, deadlift, clean and press and bent over row. Reps are kept to a minimum, as are sets.

Back