• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PaCE : Performance Appraisal and Competency system

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Reference: The old PER discussions are archived here

Attached is a summary of the PaCE briefing for the updated evaluation system.

Attachments

• PaCE Brief.pdf
    280.7 KB · Views: 693
I've seen the PAR (or at least a working draft of one) and, if the system works as advertised, I think it'll be a huge improvement on the current system.  Having sat on selection boards, I can tell you that so much of what is written on a PER isn't used for promotion selection, because boards simply don't have the time to read through multiple PERs to a significant level.  The new PAR seems tailored to reduce workloads on units, expedite movement of the document in its review stages, and provide boards with the right information in easily "digestible" chunks to make honest assessments of a person's suitability for promotion.

I like the staged implementation to reduce PHOENIX style issues.

Thanks for sharing the presentation!  On PGT, so unplugged from the machine.

Question; if the feedback notes are all online, and the supervisor and member are both going to have to acknowledge it, will those be Pro A or B?  Had a sudden vision of every single person in the CAF needing a PKI card, and felt a pang of sympathy for the IT guys. They are enough work when only a small crowd use them regularly and would randomly stop working at sea sometimes if the server wasn't available to verify the credentials.  Think the notes are pro A, but normally the digital signature needs a PKI to verify.

Meh.  Is it such a stretch thinking that everyone in the organization needs a digital signature/encryption card?  We're almost in 2020 after all.  I really liked the US system where your ID cards also served as IT credentials.

SupersonicMax said:
We're almost in 2020 after all.  I really liked the US system where your ID cards also served as IT credentials.

This makes so much sense.  I’ve been saying this since I was issued my first PKI card back in 2002/03.

Every person in the CF should have a PKI card so why not adopt the system that the US uses?

This new evaluation system seems more efficient, however I think we will still make things more complicated for ourselves. I feel like Norm from Cheers in the episode when Cliff was killing it on Jeopardy, I have a feeling we are going to screw this up.  I hope I’m wrong.

https://youtu.be/botdmsQilnU 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
This makes so much sense.  I’ve been saying this since I was issued my first PKI card back in 2002/03.

Every person in the CF should have a PKI card so why not adopt the system that the US uses?

This new evaluation system seems more efficient, however I think we will still make things more complicated for ourselves. I feel like Norm from Cheers in the episode when Cliff was killing it on Jeopardy, I have a feeling we are going to screw this up.  I hope I’m wrong.

https://youtu.be/botdmsQilnU

Same in my organization. I have a card that functions both as building access and PKI, as well as having name, photo, and an employee number but nothing identifying the organization or workplace. It works well. Every one of us deals with protected systems regularly, and it hasn’t been a real hassle. As long as the card is backed with a second authentication factor, you’re good to go. We can all log in to our version of Peoplesoft/HRMS for things like submitting career planning requests, getting our version of an MPRR, updating personal info, updating our security clearance forms, so on and so forth. Our leave requests, overtime, travel/expense claims, and individual issue clothing/equipment requisitions are all done and approved digitally through a linked system. The CAF is living in the past.

Brihard said:
Same in my organization. I have a card that functions both as building access and PKI, as well as having name, photo, and an employee number but nothing identifying the organization or workplace. It works well. Every one of us deals with protected systems regularly, and it hasn’t been a real hassle. As long as the card is backed with a second authentication factor, you’re good to go. We can all log in to our version of Peoplesoft/HRMS for things like submitting career planning requests, getting our version of an MPRR, updating personal info, updating our security clearance forms, so on and so forth. Our leave requests, overtime, travel/expense claims, and individual issue clothing/equipment requisitions are all done and approved digitally through a linked system. The CAF is living in the past.

Not sure about you guys but in the unit I'm at, all leave passes are electronic, emailed and digitally signed.  The US-style Common Access Card would be awesome, as well as a Restricted Area pass that is valid for all bases. 

I dream of a day I could use my theoretical all-access pass to every damn thing in the DND instead of using a different username and password for everything? Bldg access, DLN, DRMIS, ILP, DWAN, EMAA, HRG, ClaimsX, I'm sure I'm missing some...

SupersonicMax said:
Meh.  Is it such a stretch thinking that everyone in the organization needs a digital signature/encryption card?  We're almost in 2020 after all.  I really liked the US system where your ID cards also served as IT credentials.

No, I think it makes sense that we should be able to; I guess what I was doubting was whether the PKI system is capable of supporting that.  Maybe someone already thought ahead and is implementing something?
  :dunno:
It's especially fun when you get posted and they change your email, so your PKI encryption no longer works, and you can't access any previously archived protected files unless you had thought ahead and encrypted them by password (vice your ID, which is the default).

Navy_Pete said:
No, I think it makes sense that we should be able to; I guess what I was doubting was whether the PKI system is capable of supporting that.  Maybe someone already thought ahead and is implementing something?
It's especially fun when you get posted and they change your email, so your PKI encryption no longer works, and you can't access any previously archived protected files unless you had thought ahead and encrypted them by password (vice your ID, which is the default).

Like many people I remember joining as being told in the late 90s that was coming "soon".  Just a shade under 25 years later and we are still stuck in early IT hell

Yea I visited Westpoint Military Academy in 2008 and even THEY had those dual ID/IT cards...

SupersonicMax said:

But then we'd have to not only figure out how to get everyone a permanent ID, but also how to get them an ID (of any kind) in a timely fashion.

CanadianTire said:
But then we'd have to not only figure out how to get everyone a permanent ID, but also how to get them an ID (of any kind) in a timely fashion.

Not to worry, I've picked up the license to become the Canadian distributor for the PKI cards, and am stockpiling 50k of them! 

(not really, but think that selling obsolete tech to the CAF is a pretty reasonable retirement strategy if you can find you niche).

Navy_Pete said:

your pki should still work without an issue.  I have been posted several times to different locations across the country and still have the original card sent out when the system was started.  Works fine still.  It's linked to your ID in the form of your email (me.bloggins@forces.gc.ca) via certificates which get updated but the old ones are still on there so you can open your old stuff. I believe when you do open the old one the system will update that email to the new certificates but could be wrong.  I still have emails from 3 jobs and 7 years ago that open no problem.

CountDC said:
your pki should still work without an issue.  I have been posted several times to different locations across the country and still have the original card sent out when the system was started.  Works fine still.  It's linked to your ID in the form of your email (me.bloggins@forces.gc.ca) via certificates which get updated but the old ones are still on there so you can open your old stuff. I believe when you do open the old one the system will update that email to the new certificates but could be wrong.  I still have emails from 3 jobs and 7 years ago that open no problem.

ShipLAN email accounts don't transfer(or didn't when I was sailing), and you often ended up with a john.doe2@forces.gc.ca on one whip then john.doe1@forces.gc.ca or another. I'm the only person in the CAF with my name, and I think I was up to 2 at one point on ship.

Furniture said:
ShipLAN email accounts don't transfer(or didn't when I was sailing), and you often ended up with a john.doe2@forces.gc.ca on one whip then john.doe1@forces.gc.ca or another. I'm the only person in the CAF with my name, and I think I was up to 2 at one point on ship.

That's bizarre. Why can't they have one profile that will still work on ship?

I've had the opposite unfortunately (probably the same reason as Furniture); each time I've had an email change (ie add a number) and because my email (and login) are different, can't access the old PKI certificates (that were tied to an old email address).  Wasn't game ending, but did lose access to some old files that were related to open projects, so made post turnover questions kind of a pain to sort out.  Was also attached to another govt dept for a while, and their software key PKI system was a bit more seamless, and pretty easy to use on different workstations once the initial setup was done.

In any case, that's more of a random complaint from me about the PKI infrastructure that's off topic from the PaCE system.

A little bit of thread necromancy here.

Finished the PaCE training online. I'm quite happy with how it looks. Some of my highlights:
  1. Potential is not scored solely by the supervisor. All of the relevant dept heads get a say on the individual at a board. This is important as so many "leaders" communicate differently to their boss than they do to others on the same ship. It will reduce some of the brown-nosing points that can accrue from a supervisor who doesn't realize that their subordinate is actually a jerk to other sections. I've been advocating for more 360 review type evaluations for years. Leadership is not just your section, it's the whole team and other interactions you have.
  2. Performance is bell-curved, and the average expectation is listed. This should hopefully reduce score inflation on performance. It will also allow correlating what units and what individuals inflate scores. A step to a more even evaluation process.
  3. Feedback is baked into the system. Assuming this is enforced this is an excellent step in TALKING TO YOUR TROOPS! Which is an excellent way to understand and fix issues at an earlier timeframe and allow for members to correct performance issues early. Feedback if enforced properly (Mid June, Mid Oct, Mid Dec, Mid March) will allow for better tracking and development of subordinates.
  4. Allowing members to Opt-Out of Potential evaluations. This is excellent, sometimes the MCpl just never wants to be a Sgt. That's ok. Might reduce the number of fids that make it to senior leadership positions.
How it works in the application will remain to be seen, however, it aligns very closely with the RCN Divisional System construct. Instead of Div Notes, there will be Feedback entries. The fact I can put my brag sheet into the Feedback section (as a running commentary in real-time on my work and actions) is excellent. No longer will Div Notes be a pile of entries at the end of Feb forgetting half the stuff you did for the whole year.

Does anyone else have thoughts? I do have concerns but I'm gonna go with a half-full feeling on this as CFPAS was getting pretty dated.

Back