• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Does anyone know the plans for the space below the Mac Donald Bridge at the old Annex site. Could that be rebuilt for a second Drydock?

There used to be a couple floating dry docks in Halifax, this was 1995 or so. I was 15 and I didn't know who owned them but I seen them from the Bridge and it was explained to me what they were and how they worked. I'm pretty sure one of them was quite large for the Iroquois class. Are they still there and if so are they too small for the CSC?

There used to be a couple floating dry docks in Halifax, this was 1995 or so. I was 15 and I didn't know who owned them but I seen them from the Bridge and it was explained to me what they were and how they worked. I'm pretty sure one of them was quite large for the Iroquois class. Are they still there and if so are they too small for the CSC?
The last one was cut in two and towed to Tampa Bay a number of years ago. Bit of a shock getting off a Cruise ship and seeing it in the Harbor down there.

Hmmm. Always the Swim-ex conundrum. Do I take my chances with the shark, or the aim of LSBN Bloggins?
As an aside, I saw that and thought "why didn't we just go with that when the RCN did its 'sailor' name change?"

As an aside, I saw that and thought "why didn't we just go with that when the RCN did its 'sailor' name change?"
You could start a whole new thread on that, but bolted horses/closing barn doors comes to mind.

Really though, who in the RCN brain trust thought that Sailor 1st class et al sounded better than Leading Marine Engineering Mechanic? Oh, and look!!! It's gender neutral.

Really though, who in the RCN brain trust thought that Sailor 1st class et al sounded better than Leading Marine Engineering Mechanic? Oh, and look!!! It's gender neutral.
Maybe it doesn't sound right en francais?

Strange rendering of the CSC along with info about DeLOG. Type 45 for all.

I love how people get a pencil out and think that they can just swap a few things and voila! New ship type. The acoustic signature management for the Type 26 goes far beyond just putting diesels in acoustic enclosures. There is the hull noise, the fact plumbing is designed to keep laminar flow throughout, how drains, intakes and discharges work/are located.

If we wanted a noisy ship then we should have taken the Alion bid...

I thought the “we could have had a modified Type 45” arm chair quarterbacking/what-iffing was a bit misguidedly irrelevant/wasteful of one’s time.

I thought the “we could have had a modified Type 45” arm chair quarterbacking/what-iffing was a bit misguidedly irrelevant/wasteful of one’s time.
Especially after the handful the RN has had sorting out the “boutique“ hybrid propulsion system…

Has any space be allocated yet to warehousing of parts and food, or office space for Log ?

Just wondering about the layout.

Has any space be allocated yet to warehousing of parts and food, or office space for Log ?

Just wondering about the layout.
The ship spaces are allocated for the most part. There wasn't enough room for Log or stores on the ship proper so they are going to tow a Logistics Barge behind the ship, the project has taken to calling it a "Log Boom".

The ship spaces are allocated for the most part. There wasn't enough room for Log or stores on the ship proper so they are going to tow a Logistics Barge behind the ship, the project has taken to calling it a "Log Boom".

By god that's a wonderful idea lol

The sad thing is it's almost believable lol

I love how people get a pencil out and think that they can just swap a few things and voila! New ship type. The acoustic signature management for the Type 26 goes far beyond just putting diesels in acoustic enclosures. There is the hull noise, the fact plumbing is designed to keep laminar flow throughout, how drains, intakes and discharges work/are located.

If we wanted a noisy ship then we should have taken the Alion bid...
It seems the best idea he has that the 45 hull size allows for more growth than the 26 and allows for more weapons. It does seem that the 26 hull is not quite big enough for what everyone wants it to do. But your right that a "redesign" even using the same hull form is really an entirely new ship.

Last edited:
It seems the best idea he has that the 45 hull size allows for more growth than the 26 and allows for more weapons. It does seem that the 26 hull is not quite big enough for what everyone wants it to do. But your right that a "redesign" even using the same hull form is really an entirely new ship.
The 26 is within feet of AOL and beam of the 45 and two feet greater draft. What ‘growth’ does the 26 need?

Back