• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

The 280s at the end of life were pretty well engaged with the bands, and actually learned a bit about the Athabaskan tribe from that. From what I remember, there were Elders there as part of the retirement but the COs/Coxn had regular contact with them as well, and did the occasional visit.

Maybe a start would be to float the idea past the AFN and ask if there is interest? There are already the 4 280s and a whack of others that already have a history/battle honours, but would be more interesting than the safe option.

I have really enjoyed some of the ships I've been on, but the CHA crest of 5 squares doesn't really start any conversations, where some kind of interesting FN art would. I'm sure that can't hurt recruiting at all.
Good point about floating the idea now. I don’t recall there being much success with engagement with the west coast 280s. IIRC, this was late ‘90s. Maybe too little too late. I don’t remember any indigenous involvement when ALG paid off, but it’s been a few years.

Good point about floating the idea now. I don’t recall there being much success with engagement with the west coast 280s. IIRC, this was late ‘90s. Maybe too little too late. I don’t remember any indigenous involvement when ALG paid off, but it’s been a few years.
When we left for Op Apollo there was a fairly lengthy ceremony from the Songhee's prior to our departure.

If it is decided to go with some sort of Indigenous theme, there will be extensive consultations with first nations elders.

When we left for Op Apollo there was a fairly lengthy ceremony from the Songhee's prior to our departure.

If it is decided to go with some sort of Indigenous theme, there will be extensive consultations with first nations elders.
Come to think of it, I do remember that.

The 280s at the end of life were pretty well engaged with the bands, and actually learned a bit about the Athabaskan tribe from that. From what I remember, there were Elders there as part of the retirement but the COs/Coxn had regular contact with them as well, and did the occasional visit.

Maybe a start would be to float the idea past the AFN and ask if there is interest? There are already the 4 280s and a whack of others that already have a history/battle honours, but would be more interesting than the safe option.

I have really enjoyed some of the ships I've been on, but the CHA crest of 5 squares doesn't really start any conversations, where some kind of interesting FN art would. I'm sure that can't hurt recruiting at all.
I personally do think that reviving many of the older RCN vessel namesakes with ties to the FN would be quite nice but I am also not sure how politically tenable doing so is. Many people view having a ship named after you to be a considerable honor but on the flipside others could see it as unwanted appropriation. If they want another "Tribal" class, I think there does need to be quite a bit of consultation with the related nations to gauge approval and support. It could be quite the tightrope to walk and one that I'm not sure the RCN really wants to do. Reusing River names ia another potential option I think as well but there isn't much more I'd like to see than another HMCS Haida in the fleet just like what the UK is doing with another HMS Belfast.

I personally do think that reviving many of the older RCN vessel namesakes with ties to the FN would be quite nice but I am also not sure how politically tenable doing so is. Many people view having a ship named after you to be a considerable honor but on the flipside others could see it as unwanted appropriation. If they want another "Tribal" class, I think there does need to be quite a bit of consultation with the related nations to gauge approval and support. It could be quite the tightrope to walk and one that I'm not sure the RCN really wants to do. Reusing River names ia another potential option I think as well but there isn't much more I'd like to see than another HMCS Haida in the fleet just like what the UK is doing with another HMS Belfast.
Everything is on the table and if the RCN decides to go the FN route, there will be extensive consultations. There will also be a backup plan.

Here's a nice article on ship naming. Minister of National Defence has the final say.

Not a huge River class name fan but some of those names are emblematic of the RCN.

You could the the Provincial class, which would be interesting.
Quebec, Yukon (though named for the River IIRC), Ontario have been used previously. Newfoundland was an HMS not HMCS.

Tribal Class we could get close to the full 15 ship names
  • Iroquois
  • Athabaskan
  • Huron
  • Haida
  • Micmac
  • Nootka
  • Cayuga
  • Algonquin
  • Ojibwa
  • Okanagan
  • Onondaga
  • Assiniboine (take the river name and make it a tribal name).
That brings you to 12 with previous battle honours. Add in Cree (largest nation in Canada), Inuit, Metis, maybe remove some that are language groups and/or don't match modern tribal naming conventions.

Edit: Went out and found a list of the first nations in Canada. There are some modified spellings from the original ship names, Mi'kmaq is a good example, and an example of a changed name is Iroqouis =>Haudenosaunee. I think you could make the exception that if you are changing out ships crests for first nations artist ones, you can change the spelling/name and the legacy lives on.

Last edited:
Here's a nice article on ship naming. Minister of National Defence has the final say.

Not a huge River class name fan but some of those names are emblematic of the RCN.

You could the the Provincial class, which would be interesting.
Quebec, Yukon (though named for the River IIRC), Ontario have been used previously. Newfoundland was an HMS not HMCS.

Tribal Class we could get close to the full 15 ship names
  • Iroquois
  • Athabaskan
  • Huron
  • Haida
  • Micmac
  • Nootka
  • Cayuga
  • Algonquin
  • Ojibwa
  • Okanagan
  • Onondaga
  • Assiniboine (take the river name and make it a tribal name).
That brings you to 12 with previous battle honours. Add in Cree (largest nation in Canada), Inuit, Metis, maybe remove some that are language groups and/or don't match modern tribal naming conventions.

Edit: Went out and found a list of the first nations in Canada. There are some modified spellings from the original ship names, Mi'kmaq is a good example, and an example of a changed name is Iroqouis =>Haudenosaunee. I think you could make the exception that if you are changing out ships crests for first nations artist ones, you can change the spelling/name and the legacy lives on.
I largely enjoy using the Rivers as an alternative scheme due to the extensive ties they have with the recent generation of RCN sailors from the Cold War, alongside the vessels which served prior to that in period surrounding WWII. The St. Laurent-class and its derivatives formed the backbone of the RCN for decades with some fairly unique Canadian names, unofficial nicknames and service records throughout, it's a shame to let that fall to the wayside. Saguenay and Skeena as the first pair would be doubly fitting if they went with a River naming scheme considering they were the first pair of purpose built warships ever ordered for Canada. I really am not a fan of naming ships after towns and cities, I understand why it was done in an attempt to better connect with the general population but it comes off as as overdone and lazy when three classes of combatants we have use effectively the same scheme.

Naming the class after provinces and territories doesn't sound bad either although it would leave you two ships short of the current order. It's a violation of the class naming scheme but I would like them to reuse HMCS Niobe and HMCS Rainbow sometime for RCN ships at sea, having both of the RCN's first namesakes leading a class made up of all of the provinces and territories has some decent symbolism there. If the AOPS hadn't started the trend of using figures from the RCN's history, an alternative could have been something like the USN with their destroyers although I have my doubts if that would work considering the amount of scrutiny given to historical figures these days.

HMCS Sioux is another potential addition for the Tribal class given it has battle honors and served in WWII/Korea.

Atleast in my opinion for the CSC, my preferences in order from favorite to least favorite for naming schemes would likely be something like:
Tribal class > River class > Province class > City class.

CSC deserves some fitting names given their capability, I think Tribal, River or potentially even Provinces could serve them well.

In today's social climate it would be best to stay well clear of using any indigenous names. There will be incessant complaints (given our history they may be valid) and claims of colonialism and appropriation. We have plenty of rivers, cities, provinces, trees, geology, ocean carnivores, and lakes to choose from.

My suggestion for the first: HMCS Truculent. :sneaky:

In today's social climate it would be best to stay well clear of using any indigenous names. There will be incessant complaints (given our history they may be valid) and claims of colonialism and appropriation. We have plenty of rivers, cities, provinces, trees, geology, ocean carnivores, and lakes to choose from.

I disagree with you, with a little leg work, must of the FN bands will love it. Particularly some of the most modern and capable warships we have ever had. If fact I can see some competition to get the honour.

I disagree with you, with a little leg work, must of the FN bands will love it. Particularly some of the most modern and capable warships we have ever had. If fact I can see some competition to get the honour.
Look at the pipeline issues in BC, a few dedicated activists can make things miserable.

Sticking to rivers, lakes, animals, provinces, etc., is a much lower political risk.

I'm with @Colin Parkinson here, done right this could be actually meaningful and actually fully in line with the intent of the TRC.

Worthwhile things aren't usually easy. Safe is boring. If the RCN has enough time for moustache badges they have resources for this at HQ.

I'm with @Colin Parkinson here, done right this could be actually meaningful and actually fully in line with the intent of the TRC.

Worthwhile things aren't usually easy. Safe is boring. If the RCN has enough time for moustache badges they have resources for this at HQ.

Agreed, engage the indigenous community and make them a player in the ships naming and through the life span. Give them a sense of attachment and pride in the ship.

Has there been any murmurings about the naming scheme being looked at for the CCG AOPS? Any potential ideas?

Agreed, engage the indigenous community and make them a player in the ships naming and through the life span. Give them a sense of attachment and pride in the ship.
In a related note, there was a lot of Inuit that were for the 'Edmonton Eskimo' name, as it was one of the few high profile things for their culture. The older generation didn't necessarily have the same negative connotation with the name, but that was all erased when they went the safe route, vice working with Inuit/Inuk folks to transition the name.

Which is really a shame, because if you want to meet a tough bunch of (really friendly and unassuming) people to name a team after, they are awesome. I'm sure they could have come up with an appropriate mascot (Caribou? Polar bear? Narwhale?) but that was a weak way out.

name CSC after provinces and territories
use tribal names when they start paying taxes
no politician names

Wish Canada would purchase icebreaker Polar Circle currently moored in Bedford Basin, for Coast Guard.

Instead of looking to the past why don't we look to more modern ship names that more closely reflect the current RCN?

HMCS Neglect
HMCS Overworked
HMCS Heartbreak
HMCS Undermanned
HMCS DuctTape
HMCS Jetty-Jumper

Much more likely to resonate with our sailors!

HMCS Sioux is another potential addition for the Tribal class given it has battle honors and served in WWII/Korea.
The Sioux were the sworn enemies of the Cree and Ojibwa. They are also mainly a group who lived south of the 49th (some Lakota around Brandon MB). The Blackfoot are a subgroup of the Teton Sioux.

The name Sioux is an abbreviation of Nadouessioux (“Adders”; i.e., enemies), a name originally applied to them by the Ojibwa.

Back