• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

This is interesting. Australia is apparently forgoing any customization to its proposed class of 11 "Tier 2" frigates. A truly MOTS purchase. They cite time as the leading factor in this decision, but I believe AUKUS has strained the Australian defence budget to such a high degree that cost is an equally important criteria. Otherwise, why not just expand the Hunter class build. I hope this idea doesn't gain traction here.

Not much has been discussed here about the six proposed Australian "arsenal ships", officially known as "optionally crewed". IIRC V.Adm. Topshee also introduced that idea, however I have not seen any movement from RCN to join RAN in this issue.

This is interesting. Australia is apparently forgoing any customization to its proposed class of 11 "Tier 2" frigates. A truly MOTS purchase. They cite time as the leading factor in this decision, but I believe AUKUS has strained the Australian defence budget to such a high degree that cost is an equally important criteria. Otherwise, why not just expand the Hunter class build. I hope this idea doesn't gain traction here.

Right. We will see about that, once the build starts…

It is almost like the grass isn't greener on the other side or something? The FFG(X) program was always incredibly optimistic regarding effectively everything, which set expectations unrealistically high.

More bad news for one of the ships (Constellation class) that Alan Williams loves to point to as an option to continuing with the CSC.

Overall, the design commonality between the Constellation and FREMM may now be as low as 15 percent, according to USNI News. GAO's new report says that this includes substantial changes to the combined diesel-electric and gas turbine propulsion system and associated machinery control systems, which has "increased cost and introduced integration risks, according to shipbuilder representatives."

What could go wrong. I mean the LCS DE&GT combo was totally reliable right 👀

I am sure that Alan Williams will be along, any second now, to admit that he was wrong…
Larry David Mug GIF by FTX_Official

Ok you guys are going to hate this one.

Note first nations, but first nations dieties:
HMCS Niskam
HMCS Kanawha
HMCS Atahensic
HMCS Gijesa
HMCS Hé-no
HMCS Hawenniyo
HMCS Atahensic
HMCS Nerrivik
HMCS Pinga
HMCS Amotken
HMCS Kisemanito
HMCS Kaita
HMCS Gichi-manidoo
HMCS Asin
HMCS Mishipeshu

HMCS Niskam
HMCS Kanawha
HMCS Atahensic
HMCS Gijesa
HMCS Hé-no
HMCS Hawenniyo
HMCS Atahensic
HMCS Nerrivik
HMCS Pinga
HMCS Amotken
HMCS Kisemanito
HMCS Kaita
HMCS Gichi-manidoo
HMCS Asin
HMCS Mishipeshu
If we are going mythical, why favour one group over another? Why not:

HMCS Jesus H Christ
HMCS Jesus Mary and Joseph
HMCS Great Odin's Beard
HMCS By the Five Furies
etc...

HMCS Niskam
HMCS Kanawha
HMCS Atahensic
HMCS Gijesa
HMCS Hé-no
HMCS Hawenniyo
HMCS Atahensic
HMCS Nerrivik
HMCS Pinga
HMCS Amotken
HMCS Kisemanito
HMCS Kaita
HMCS Gichi-manidoo
HMCS Asin
HMCS Mishipeshu
For exactly the same reason we do not name warships “Jesus Christ” or “Buddha” , this is complete non-starter.

Nice one Lumber. But Gichi-Manidoo, the Great Spirit, is said by the Anishinaabe to reside at Michilimackinac, which is located in the USA (Michigan state).

I just assume it's going to be cities again, but there is a Shannon, Quebec, so we could have a ship named after the HMS  Shannon to complement the new USS Chesapeake .

Back