• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Weird. I was able to buy toys for my kid without any problems the other day despite our consumer safety rules being federally promulgated today: You really do work at being obtuse don't you

Put it this way. Virtually every major regulatory problem we have in this country is usually because of provincial or local laws. Provincial regulation of trades and professions prevents labour mobility nationally. nice move to change topics Provincial regulation prevents the establishment of a national securities regulator which would improve capital allocation. Provincial regulations against national land registries has turned our real estate market in major money laundering centres. Provincial rubber stamping of fake college programs (because education is provincial) massively contributed to the current glut in foreign students (albeit slightly shared with the feds for trusting the provinces). Local regulation prevents the construction of sufficient housing. And yet, somehow people want to pretend that it's federal regulation holding us back the most.
and the feds will do it better? Where have you been for the last several decades? We are absolutely buried in federal regulations and yes provincial regulations too and don't forget municipal standards. I totally agree that we do not need all the provincial limitations on trades and goods that we have but we don't need federal ones replacing them.

If you are talking about ice creams shops, you'd be right. For things like regulatory regimes, not so much.
We absolutely need different jurisdictions trying different things. It increases the odds of finding good practices. The weaker solutions can then be discarded in favour of the stronger ones. The odds of one group of politicians, bureaucrats, and technocrats finding a "best practice" on the first try aren't great.

BC has to build for earthquakes, Ontario doesn't.
You do know the Canadian Shield gets earthquakes right? And the building concerns in Fort Nelson BC may have more in common with Kenora than with Victoria?

But I digress. We’ve lost the bubble on this discussion of defence spending. This thread needs to find its way again.

It feels like we got the "peace, order, and good government" mirror of the US' "we're all sovereign micro-states, what're you talking about, fed?" preservation of extant-at-creation power blocs and borders. We'd have been much better off if the original mess of provinces had been subsumed into a single, national structure more akin to British counties. Every meaningful difference is either already sub-provincial in size (compare the differences in density, economy, etc. between the Fraser Valley upstream and downstream of Hope, say) or spans provincial borders (consider climate zones: BC has six to contend with).

Attachments

• NAIMA_NBC_map_480x480.webp
    NAIMA_NBC_map_480x480.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 6
Back