• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A supportive, loving crimson tide- Saint John Tribute to Private David Greenslad

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
A supportive, loving crimson tide
Rally: Thousands defy downpour to honour troops in the name of fallen soldier David Greenslade
MARTY KLINKENBERG Published Saturday September 29th, 2007 Appeared on page A1
Article Link

SAINT JOHN - They can debate Canada's role in Afghanistan on Parliament Hill, but in Saint John on Friday there was no debate. In a parking lot at the edge of the harbour, thousands of people wearing red gathered in a downpour to show their appreciation for Canadian troops.

It's not the mission they necessarily support. It's not political. It's the young men and women who are going off to war - in some cases never to come home.

David Greenslade did not come home, and because of him, and because of the way he died, more than 5,000 people responded to a request by his parents to prove that he has not been forgotten.

"Our prayers were answered,'' Laurie Greenslade, the mother of the fallen soldier from Saint John, said as she looked out over the crowd at the Red Rally. "This is beautiful."

A 20-year-old private with a baby face, Greenslade and five other members of his Gagetown-based battle group were killed by a roadside bomb on Easter Sunday. It was Canada's most disastrous day of combat since Korea - and it sent chills through a nation that likes to make peace, not war.

On Friday, a crimson maple tree was planted along the walkway that circles the waterfront in Saint John to honour all soldiers. City workers unveiled a giant floral arrangement in the shape of a red ribbon along a highway embankment. And a steady stream of people slogged through rain and filed quietly onto a wharf at the port.

There were babies in strollers and children with faces painted and flags in hand. There were wrinkled, white-haired veterans who understand the horrors of war. There were political officials, police officers, firefighters, businessmen and students.

"I'm humbled as I stand here today,'' said Pte. Pat LeBlanc, a member of David Greenslade's unit and his best friend. "I'm amazed that this many people showed up in the rain. It's unbelievable.

"People call soldiers heroes, but this is where we get our inspiration."

The mournful wail of a bagpiper preceded the arrival of a colour guard and an emotional service of remembrance began.

"Dying for freedom is not the worst thing that could happen,'' Saint John legion commander Bob Little read. "Being forgotten is."

In unison, a group of veterans standing in front of the stage, replied: "We will not forget."

A bugler played The Sounding of the Last Post while soldiers stood at attention and people wiped their eyes. Then there was a moment of silence, and goosebumps all around.

There were speeches by David Greenslade's comrades and friends and senior officers, and Rick Hillier, the Chief of Canada's Defence Staff, addressed the crowd via videotape. Laurie Greenslade, who lost her only child in the desert west of Kandahar, thanked everyone for coming and asked them to wear red every Friday.

"By being here you demonstrate to the world that Canadians care about each other,'' she said. She had a red rose on her left lapel and wore a red rain slicker, red socks and red jewelry, and carried a red handbag. "God bless the troops, God bless their families, God bless the veterans and God bless Canada."

Brandon London, a graduate of Harbour View High School, sang a song he wrote about his brother, Matthew, who is serving in Afghanistan. His guitarist backed out at the last minute, so Julian Austin, the country singer from Saint John, accompanied him as he sang A Soldier's Heart.

Then Austin, a burly man who has performed several times for troops in Kandahar, prepared to sing The Red & White, a song about Canadian soldiers that is on his current CD. He will donate proceeds of the sales to a fund for wounded veterans.

"I'm the first person that will take a punch or throw a punch if somebody says something out of line about our soldiers,'' said Austin, who wore a blue Legion ball cap and red Support Our Troops T-shirt. "I'm a big mouth when it comes to supporting our troops.

"I wouldn't have missed this for the world."

Austin invited Bob Archer, a Korean War vet who taught hand-to-hand combat, to join him on the stage. He used to date Archer's daughter and wrote about Archer in his lyrics. He introduced him to the crowd, and began.

By the time he was finished, Austin was sobbing.

"I'm pretty tough, but when I sing The Red & White I can't hold it,'' he said.

By the time the rally ended, the sun had broken through the clouds. Trucks on the Harbour Bridge driving past the gathering honked in a show of support.

"Everybody has jumped on board,'' said Ivan Court, the Saint John councillor who worked with the Greenslades for three months to plan the rally. "Somebody went up King Street this week and put ribbons on all of the poles. We don't even know who did it.

"Everybody is doing their part."

In The Red & White, Austin sings, "Do we care about heroes anymore?"

Clearly, on Friday afternoon in Saint John, the answer was yes.

There was no debate.
End of Article

A group of us went down to Saint John for the rally.......it was awesome!  The organizers did a terrific job and the sun even came out before the end of the program.  It was a very moving experience and we were proud to have taken part....... Ubique      :cdn:

Back