• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AAR on Op GRIZZLY

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
(received from a friend)

I‘m back from Joint Task Headquarters J3 Operations, Operation Grizzly, which was in support of the G8 Summit in Calgary 260700 - 271300 Jun 2002 (all timings local). Here is my report:

Number of days on duty prior to the operation: 14.

Number of sets of grey wooly combat socks issued for op: 3.

Number of gas mask canisters short because DND was stocked out: 1.

Number of 12 hour night shifts from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. served by Yours Truly: 8.

Number of major "issues" per night shift: 1.

And those "issues" were: the night move, the civ vehicle accident with fatality, the sick RCMP officers, the shot bear, the Spanish delegate jogging without ID in the red zone, the air space incursion, the UAV power supply, the arrival of delegates, the departure of delegates, and redeployment.

Number of real issues: 2.

Number of Extra-large Tim Horton double-doubles ordered during coffee run at 3:30 a.m.: 8.

Number of reruns of Gilligan‘s Island (where Ginger was beginning to look REALLY good): 3.

Number of news broadcasts from CBC Newsworld, CTV News, and CNN News: (sound of retching in background).

Number of kms jogged: 6

Number of ankles with tendonitis due to length of time between said jogs and previous running: 1

Number of kms rollerbladed with rollerblades purchased at mall: 55

Number of bearings replaced due to Calgary winter road gravel still spread about, sucked up into skate wheel bearings by automatic braking system which looked very cool to a mechanical engineer, not realizing that the Klein revolution has resulted in such a reduction of civil servants that the most basic road maintenance is no longer being done, despite the hundreds of millions of dollars poured into the local economy for said Op: 2

Number of pairs roller blades replaced due to critical piece falling out after 4 uses: 1.

Money spent on taxis on personal admin: $130.00

Number of beers drunk over 2-1/2 weeks: 0 (dry op).

Number of rounds of golf played during work-up in Edmonton: 3.

Negative effect on handicap of said rounds: 1 point.

Number of slides in PowerPoint slide show clipped from Jane‘s Annual on Armour and Artillery; Jane‘s Fighting Ships; Jane‘s Personal Weapons; Jane‘s Aircraft of the World; and Jane‘s Annual on Terrorism (all on-line), to complement the digital photographs available from Paffo on Op Grizzly, done in order to stave off biological and neurological brain death due to lack of events to log in Ops Log: 74.

Number of airspace incursions: 3.

Number of airspace incursions resulting in charges: 2.

Number of ground incursions: none.

All in all, it was a good op whose success was measured in the number of idle hours. Being prepared and not employed as planned was perfectly fine by me.

I am donating my pay (after taxes) to the Royal Military College of Canada Foundation.

Rgds, Konrad.

HEHEHE....

Good stuff, at least he got to rollerblade, damm trails were to muddy:)(not that I brought mine anyway). Nice to see things, that happened to everyone. It was my sect that called in the"contact report" on that spanish runner. Man that guy disappeared fast. Didn‘t help us that where he went outta view ther was 6 or 7 different trails he could have taken. All the confusion chalked up to the RCMP not doing proper relief at the end of their shifts. Instead of waiting for replacements in place they all gathered just north of the HLS by the porta potties. Which unfortunatly for them was just out of view of where the Spanish guy left the perimeter. Oh well just meant less sleep for us:)

Heres my own little AAR:

Bears sighted: 2

Terrorists sighted: 0

Amount of pictures I snapped of Dubya‘s flying circus: 2

Times in a row I got stuck with the "Veal and Lemon Sauce" meal because we got short changed on the lunches: 4 (Yuck)

Times I went up and down that fricken ski mountain: lots

Amount of time I had to spend on a stupid smelly bus with 45 other guys who hadn‘t showered for a week: 7 hours

sounds like he had it pretty easy bossi.

Tim hortons, rollerblades, night shifts,tv...pretty decent op I say.

Back