• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AB Premier reveals plans to transfer hospitals from AHS

It doesn’t read like privatization, to me.
Cynical take: yet - wait for it.

Less cynical take: given non-profit alternatives already available and doing the job, not a worry right now.
... Catholic Health Services are not for profit and they have operated in the health care space for decades.
Covenant Health apparently reports to the Bishops of Alberta, so it would be a non-profit like a LOT of religious-run non-profit health care across Canada.

Where I live, the Catholic system runs what used to be called chronic complex care (lots more help needed than nursing home/long term care), inpatient rehab, addictions, hospice and mental health services. Years ago, they were known for being able to run facilities cheaper than broader public sector ones by juggling the staffing ratios to increase the number of lower-cost very-frontmost-line staff and reduce the number of higher-cost RN-level staff.

While not always perfect (like any human-run organization - our local Catholic provider needed to be put under third-party management for a while and is now back on its own), it's a lot less contentious than for-profit alternatives.
AHS is getting a warning shot across the bow.
And not just with a .22, for sure.

People hold up public healthcare as some mythical talisman.

Is anyone, anywhere in Canada really happy with their public healthcare system?

I not saying to sell the whole thing to Merck.

I would like to see some experimentation in this space.

People hold up public healthcare as some mythical talisman.

Is anyone, anywhere in Canada really happy with their public healthcare system?

I not saying to sell the whole thing to Merck.

I would like to see some experimentation in this space.
I've never had a bad experience with the MB healthcare system, however I know the horror stories exist. Here there are private operators (mostly the Catholic Church with our second largest hospital St Boniface and a smaller local hospital, the Misericordia) but they're funded by the government and its kinda like a weird mixed system. Seems to work here in middle of the road MB, St B is one of the best hospitals in the West and Misericordia is positioning itself to be the premier eye centre in Canada. Part of that seems to stem from a modicum of independence from the central health authority.

All that said, the American system is objectively shittier for the average person so that's probably not a good model to follow either. Balance in all things.

Honestly the Alberta health care system is a mess so anything they can do to make it better is worth a try.

Honestly the Alberta health care system is a mess so anything they can do to make it better is worth a try.
What happened? It seems kinda like a blink and you miss it collapse, however it's not like I was paying too much attention a couple provinces away. You'd like being the richest per capita province in the country the healthcare system would reflect that.

The Alberta system has been slowly dismantling over the years, but I'll take the current Alberta system over whatever they have disguised as healthcare in Quebec currently.

The Alberta system has been slowly dismantling over the years, but I'll take the current Alberta system over whatever they have disguised as healthcare in Quebec currently.
There is a reason so many west Quebec residents come here to Ottawa for healthcare. Not that Ontario is doing anything better than anyone else.

Reactions: MJP
I've never had a bad experience with the MB healthcare system, however I know the horror stories exist. Here there are private operators (mostly the Catholic Church with our second largest hospital St Boniface and a smaller local hospital, the Misericordia) but they're funded by the government and its kinda like a weird mixed system. Seems to work here in middle of the road MB, St B is one of the best hospitals in the West and Misericordia is positioning itself to be the premier eye centre in Canada. Part of that seems to stem from a modicum of independence from the central health authority.
I was at the Misericordia (aka The miz) for cataract surgery recently. Pretty good place.

It's showing its age but if the Miz can get their plan off the ground, it'll be an amazing asset for Western Canada. I think they're still raising funds for the redevelopment plan. I'll link it for anyone interested.

it seems that all health services believe in the bigger is better notion. In Ontario almost all of the smaller hospitals have been shut down and all services moved to centralized locations which may or may not be close at hand. Your family doctor has been replaced by a clinic. Our closest hospital is 25 minutes away if you are in a hurry. If it wasn't for the heroics of the 911 crowd the death rate would be significantly higher

it seems that all health services believe in the bigger is better notion. In Ontario almost all of the smaller hospitals have been shut down and all services moved to centralized locations which may or may not be close at hand. Your family doctor has been replaced by a clinic. Our closest hospital is 25 minutes away if you are in a hurry. If it wasn't for the heroics of the 911 crowd the death rate would be significantly higher
I tend to agree that that is a negative however Winnipeg was a weird one since it had a ton of hospitals from the times of pre-unicity, the neighbourhood hospitals used to the the hospital of an independent city. In a city that takes 45 mins to drive from the extreme East to extreme West in normal traffic, we probably didn't need 7 emergs. For example, the Miz doesn't need to be an emerg because it's a mile from HSC and less than 2 miles from St. B, both national class tertiary hospitals.

If the government provides universal auto insurance does it need to own and manage all the auto repair shops?

Back