• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another CEF?

B

Brun

Hey!!
I just found out my Grand Father joined the CEF on March 23 1916, to the 118th Bat. On March 13 1917 transfered to the 149th Bat. any Info on either one of these Bats. would be freakin great. Our family is trying to piece together our past, We did‘nt even know gramps was in the service. he‘s been gone for years and still amazes us.

thanks for any help
Gregory
Brun44@aol.com

From John F Meeks‘ "Over the Top! The Canadian Infantry in the First World War":

118th Infantry Battalion

Name: North Waterloo Overseas Battalion
Authority: GO 151 of 22 Dec 1915

Recruiting Area: North Riding of waterloo County, Ontario
Mobilization HQ: Kitchener, Ont

Service:
Canada - 11 Nov 1915 to 26 Jan 1917
England - 6 Feb 1917 to 6 Feb 1917
France - No service as a unit

The 118th Bn was absorbed into the 25th Reserve Battalion.

Officer Commanding: Lieutenant Colonel W.M.O. Lochead, 23 Jan 1915 to ??

149th Infantry Battalion

Name: 149th Infantry Battalion, C.E.F.
Authority: GO 151 of 22 Dec 1915

Recruiting Area: County of Lambton, Ont
Mobilization HQ: Watford, Ont

Service:
Canada - 26 Nov 1915 to 28 Mar 1917
England - 7 Apr 1917 to 8 Apr 1917
France - No service as a unit

The 149th Bn was absorbed into the 4th and 25th Reserve Battalions.

Officer Commanding: Lieutenant Colonel W.W. MacVicar, 28 Mar 1917 to ??

thank you so much for the information....It‘s all comminr together now....thanks so much!!!

hi this is reg1: i would asume that your grandfather served in france, if so what reg. you can find that in his docs from the archives in ottawa.if you need address let me know. see you.

Hello...Les here, I just joined!! My grandfather enlisted in the 149th and ended up in the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade. I have a full 149th Battalion photo taken at Camp Borden on Sept.29th-1916. If anyone wants a copy I can email it in 3 separate scans as it is very wide.

Greg ; Looking at my grandfathers service record the 149th  sailed out of Halifax on Mar. 25, 1917 aboard the SS Lapland  and arrived at Liverpool England on Apr. 7th.  He was Immediatly transfered to the 25th Reserve Batt. at Camp Bramshott . The men of the 149th were dispersed as replacement troops to any Battalion in need. To learn more you must order his service records from Archives Canada.  Once you get them I and others  here can help you  figuer out where he went and even the battles he was in. 

Les, you're responding to a thread that 4 years old and by a member with a dead account.

A kind of discouraging thing to go through after three posts, but hey, Les, good on you for trying to help out someone with their family military history!

Tom

OOPS.... Guess I should check that in the future  ::)

No problem Les, if you try the History forum you may find some interest in discussing reseraching the CEF and its soldiers. Or you may have more luck here: http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/index.php - a forum dedicated to CEF research. Lots of very knowledgeable posters and resources for CEF research.

Back