• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another One Bites the Dust....Svend Robinson Leaves Politics

Infanteer

Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Gee, first Cretin quits, than Sheila Copps is "finessed" out of her seat, and now Swine Robinson takes a hike...it's been a good year for Canadian politics if you ask me.

-----

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=10644ff7-6123-422a-9c29-727b103708d4

NATIONAL POST
Latest News

Svend Robinson stepping down from NDP after 25 years

Canadian Press

April 15, 2004

OTTAWA -- Svend Robinson, Canada's first openly gay MP, is quitting politics after 25 years as a New Democrat.

Robinson, 52, was set to make the announcement in Vancouver on Thursday afternoon.

The reason for the popular MP's departure from political life was not immediately known.

Robinson, an outspoken figure on Parliament Hill, became Canada's first openly homosexual MP when he publicly declared his sexual orientation in 1988.

His aggressive stands on same-sex marriage, charter protection of gay rights and Palestinian autonomy - among other issues - have made Robinson a lightning rod for critics.

He's represented the Vancouver suburb of Burnaby since 1979, winning the last election in 2000 with just 37 per cent of the popular vote.

Copps and Robinson gone?... who are we going to count on for a high-pitched-snivelly-whiney voiced moron that the media can follow around like lapdogs now? Oh yea Layton..

Get rid of the lot of them... they are all lying sons of something or others...

Q. What do you call a dozen politicians at the bottom of a lake?

A. A good start

Q: What do you do if you see 100 dead politicians in the forest?

A: Stop laughing and reload.

:D :D

MP puts career on hold after pocketing jewelry

Last Updated Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:23:43

BURNABY, B.C. - New Democratic Party MP Svend Robinson stunned supporters Thursday by saying he needs to take medical leave after admitting he stole a ring.

Svend Robinson is comforted by NDP MP Libby Davies.

"Something just snapped in this moment of total, utter irrationality," he said while crying and struggling to read a statement during a nationally televised news conference in his Vancouver-area riding of Burnaby-Douglas.

"While attending a public jewelry sale, I pocketed a piece of expensive jewelry," Robinson said, as he described what happened on Good Friday.

"I did this despite knowing full well ... that the entire area was under electronic surveillance," he added, and that the employees recognized him.

He said he‘s been battling severe stress for the past few months and is now undergoing therapy.

Robinson, who has since returned the property, is now under criminal investigation.

‘I am human and I have failed‘

It‘s not clear if he will run in the next federal election. Robinson has temporarily stepped down as the riding‘s nominee, and is waiting to find out if charges are going to be laid.

"As you can imagine, this has been a nightmare. I cannot believe that it has happened, but I am human and I have failed."

The 52-year-old Robinson, Canada‘s first openly gay MP, has been a member of Parliament since 1979. He‘s won seven consecutive elections, and had been preparing to run again.

"I await the decision of Crown counsel and will not seek to in any way avoid full responsibility for my actions should charges be laid in these circumstances," he said.

"I will be meeting in the near future with my riding executive to discuss the longer term implications of this decision should an election be called while these issues remain outstanding."

At a separate news conference later in the day, NDP Leader Jack Layton said Robinson remains a member of the federal caucus while he‘s on leave. Layton said he stands behind the MP at this difficult time, but told reporters it‘s impossible to say if Robinson will run in the next election.

Several other MPs expressed their support as well, including Prime Minister Paul Martin, who called Robinson a dedicated parliamentarian and strong person. Martin said he‘s confident Robinson will overcome his personal difficulties.

Written by CBC News Online staff

I saw the news conference - it seemed clear that Svend has serious mental problems (one of the wags at work wondered aloud whether had swiped one of "those" rings ... but, I digress ...).

However, having said that ... while he may have committed political/suicide, he has retained Clayton Ruby (who also defended former MP Lorne Nystrom when he was charged with shoplifting ...)

Since Sven has made full restitution, there‘s the chance the merchant may decline to press charges, and Ruby will argue equivalent of "temporary insanity", thus there‘s a strong possibility charges won‘t be laid.
And so, Sven will be free and clear to return and reap the sympathy vote (which might improve upon his last election victory with only 37 per cent of the vote ...).

Stay tuned, as the stomach turns ...

Ha, I never noticed the shoplifiting thing until now. I‘m still laughing. Idiots are idiots, through and through.

I‘ll take this as a good consolation prize since he failed to get run over by a Merkava.

----

OK, who wants to play the new ARMY.CA game. It‘s called caption Swine.

I‘ll go first.

1svend.jpg

NEW CAPTION: Guess What I got in My Hand!!!

Ha, I can‘t get enough of this....

Here‘s another one

doc-99.gif

NEW CAPTION: Hey sweetie, guess what I "bought" for you today.

I smell Infanteer‘s dirty paw prints all over this one. Besides everybody knows he‘s coveted the Burnaby-Douglas NDP nomination for years.

The plot thickens ...

1997 - Svend has a hiking accident
1997-2004 - Svend experiences stress
2004 04 09 Friday - Svend pockets ring (no pun intended)
2004 04 11 Sunday - Auction house gives surveillance videotape to police
2004 04 13 Tuesday - Auction house receives letter of apology
2004 04 15 Thursday - Svend makes tearful announcement

Auction house forgives Svend Robinson‘s theft
Police knew the culrpit before MP‘s teary press conference

BY BRUCE CHEADLE
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA â ” A Toronto-area auction house says it‘s satisfied with disgraced MP Svend Robinson‘s apology for stealing an expensive ring and won‘t be pressing authorities to lay criminal charges.
Federal Auction Services Inc., of Brampton, Ont., also said today that it had provided RCMP with video evidence of the crime 48 hours before Robinson turned himself in.

"While our client has a zero-tolerance policy towards theft of any kind, FAS accepts Mr. Robinson‘s apology," a release from Federal Auction Services said.

"At this time, FAS is concerned with the return of or payment for the item taken and does not otherwise intend to pursue the matter. That being said, FAS will co-operate fully with any steps taken by law enforcement authorities."

The decision whether to charge the longtime NDP MP now lies with a special prosecutor appointed today.

Len Doust will make the final decision on charges, B.C. Crown spokesman Geoffrey Gaul said.

"In light of the circumstances and the individual involved there is a significant potential for real or perceived improper influence in the administration of criminal justice, including the charge assessment process," Gaul said.

"Consequently we have appointed an independent special prosecutor."

A special prosecutor was named when former B.C. premier Glen Clark was investigated for breach of trust. Clark was charged but found not guilty.

Robinson, 52, held an emotional news conference Thursday to announce he‘d turned himself in to police and given them a stolen ring, following a tortured Easter weekend of self-examination.

The 25-year veteran of federal politics is taking a medical leave from his parliamentary duties after stealing the ring on Good Friday in a moment of "utter irrationality."

Robinson also sent a private letter of apology to Federal Auction Services on Tuesday - the same day he contacted the RCMP in Burnaby, B.C.

The company said it would not release Robinson‘s letter, adding its "sympathy and concern for him at what must be a very difficult and stressful time."

The theft was noticed immediately, the auction house said. After reviewing video surveillance, the auctioneers contacted RCMP in Richmond, B.C., who had the videotape by Sunday.

"In order to protect the integrity of its investigation, the RCMP requested FAS not communicate with Mr. Robinson or the media about this matter."

Some legal experts say criminal charges may never be laid.

Robinson‘s pre-emptive public confession, the returned jewelry, and Robinson‘s personal and professional humiliation are powerful mitigating circumstances for any Crown prosecutor examining the merits of the case.

"If Svend had come to me in my office and he had been charged with the offence, I probably would have recommended he do exactly the same thing," said Heather Perkins-McVey, an Ottawa defence lawyer and past chair of the criminal justice section of the Canadian Bar Association.

"And maybe he got good legal advice over the weekend. I don‘t know."

"If the auction house is not pushing for a charge to be laid, if they‘re satisfied with what he has done and his very public acknowledgement of it," she said, "that may be the end of it."

Robinson has retained Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby to defend his interests, just in case.

Ruby, one of Canada‘s most accomplished defence lawyers, was hired by NDP MP Lorne Nystrom in 1990 for Nystrom‘s trial on charges of shoplifting contact lens cleaning tablets worth $7.79.

Nystrom was acquitted - but not before Ruby had introduced expert testimony including a commercial designer who described the lens cleaner packaging and a drugstore owner who talked about his experience with shoplifters.

Federal Auction Services refused to provide a value for the stolen ring or even a description. A spokesman would say only that it bore a round stone.

RCMP in Richmond say they‘re investigating a case of theft over $5,000.

One former Crown prosecutor, who didn‘t want to speak on the record, said the high value of the stolen jewelry doesn‘t work in Robinson‘s favour, nor does the widespread publicity.

But he agreed the reaction of the auction house will be a significant factor in the Crown‘s deliberations.

The executive director of a charitable service that helps people in trouble with the law says she‘s worried Robinson‘s public profile could influence whether charges are laid.

"My hope would be that the publicity around the event would not cause anybody to change their actual assessment of the harm done and the need to react," said Elizabeth White of the St. Leonard‘s Society of Canada.

"At the very least, it‘s a totally appropriate case for some kind of alternative, some kind of diversion process - because of the fact it‘s resolved already," by the voluntary return of the ring.

Robinson said Thursday he‘s been suffering "extreme stress and emotional pain" for some time - in part related to a hiking accident that took place in 1997 - and that he "looked forward to full healing and recovery."

Acts of petty criminality are not uncommon among people suffering from extreme stress or depression," said a psychiatry expert at the University of Toronto.

"They relieve their stress and anxiety or they get an instant lift from the depression by acting out in this way, and many of them do not get caught," said Dr. Mark Berber.

"There‘s lots of guys out there who have problems but because Svend is in the limelight, he gets targeted." Doctors try to find the underlying disorder that prompts the behaviour.

"These shoplifting episodes are usually impulsive and they are usually not a repetitive act," Berber said.

"And usually, as you saw with Svend, he was so overwhelmed and so burdened by the guilt and grief of the incident, that alone would prevent it from occurring again."

Why cry for Svend?

PETER WORTHINGTON SAYS THE MP HAS SHOWN LITTLE GENEROSITY TO ANY OF HIS POLITICAL OPPONENTS
TORONTO SUN

WHY SHED tears for Svend Robinson? Here‘s a guy, who in 25 years as an MP, has shown little generosity to any with whom he disagrees politically, and seems to lack traits of common courtesy. So he‘s been caught stealing -- weeps and proclaims remorse, claiming he‘s ready to take whatever punishment is dished out. Yeah. And he‘s hired one of the country‘s most adept lawyers to argue his case -- Clayton Ruby, who, if anyone can get Svend off, it‘s Ruby.

Ruby was the lawyer for Saskatchewan MP Lorne Nystrom -- another NDPer who was found guilty of shoplifting in 1990, a conviction that was reversed on appeal. Like Svend, Nystrom was under considerable stress and not responsible for forgetting to pay for contact lens fluid.

COURTS SOFT ON BIGSHOTS

An impulsive act. Our courts seem more understanding when bigshots do petty crimes for which a poor person would be punished. Bad publicity is deemed sufficient punishment.

Because a shoplifter or thief can afford to pay for what is pilfered, the act is considered a disease or affliction or aberration.

As for Svend Robinson pocketing a gold and diamond ring at a government auction that surveillance cameras presumably caught, that‘s being explained, if not justified, by the stress he‘s under as an MP. "I just snapped," he says.

More than that, a hiking accident six years ago is being blamed for the stress that provoked him to steal a ring.

Come off it, guys! Does anyone truly think that Svend‘s remorse and guilt would have erupted had the theft not been noticed? The courts may accept it, but if Svend Robinson were John Doe, the explanation would be laughed at.

Svend‘s supporters pay tribute to his courage in admitting his "error." NDP Leader Jack Layton supports him "100%." Prime Minister Paul Martin wishes him a swift recovery: "He‘s obviously under a lot of stress." Svend‘s partner, Max Riveron, offers a shoulder for him to weep on for the cameras.

There‘s no question that Svend Robinson has the guts of a burglar (no pun intended), has challenged authority all his life, and hurt countless people on his path to public attention and self-interest. It‘s hard to feel compassion for him now.

Isn‘t it curious how jaundiced we get when rapists or pedophiles -- or shoplifters -- get caught and claim it‘s the first time they‘ve done it. Reality tells us -- as cops know -- that with "first offenders" it‘s rarely the first time they‘ve done whatever they‘ve been caught doing. Kleptomania, or impulsive stealing, is a widespread phenomenon that merchants (and psychiatrists) know well.

When the rich and powerful get caught stealing, it‘s assumed there is a medical or psychological affliction. Odd, because governments and politicians excel at stealing from the public. Some people, regardless of position or wealth, are thieves -- steal for the thrill of it, or because they can.

This is not to suggest that this is the case with Robinson, or that it was the case with Lorne Nystrom -- or Marilyn, Lastman, Jennifer Capriati, or even Winona Ryder. Unlikely people often steal. Anyone who works in an office knows of petty pilfering, which is distressing to those who share the workplace.

Svend Robinson‘s agony of the moment looks a lot like showboating and shame at being caught -- not for doing what he did.

RECORD OF RUDENESS

His record of rudeness and callousness to those he disapproves of, is legendary. It could be argued that marrying a Vancouver girl prior to running for Parliament and divorcing because he was gay, was an act of some cruelty -- a marriage that is unmentioned in his Parliamentary Guide bio.

Thus the life of Svend continues. It ain‘t over yet. Odds are he‘ll be back in Parliament, unless the voters of Burnaby-Douglas say enough is enough already.

"as you saw with Svend, he was so overwhelmed and so burdened by the guilt and grief of the incident, that alone would prevent it from occurring again"...Now that he knows how EASY it is to get caught!

I wonder what would have happened if the auction house HAD NOT been able to pin point who took the ring?! :rolleyes:

"ByeBye Mr dirty Politician" :evil:

Slim

I just heard the last end of a comment on the news. The girl said this is a special case because svend is a homosexual who does not hide it from the public and he gets a lot of negitivity directed towards him and it was only a matter of time before something cracked.

I can really see how getting a lot of negitive attention for being gay would prompt someone to go out andshoplift a ring for your boyfriend.

All i can say is "Of course, it‘s societys fault, duh"

I know if it was me in that situation the RCMP would be kicking my door down the second they found out.

What a load of crap...people these days always got some bull**** ailment as a reason for breaking the law.

Back