• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any purples have done their naval training prior to a ship posting?

freakerz

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I really want to do the naval training during my waiting period before my phase 2 (Comm Rsch). A lot (if not everyone) of people said you need to be posted to a ship before doing the training... but anyone ever asked to get it without a posting first?

I know when I was posted to Halifax I had complete my OSQAB now the NETP course and directly after I was posted to a ship

I have also sailed with many people who have earned sea pay before NETP was comple

There was a time when we had all our priorities screwed up.  I remember encountering a cook many years ago on an OSQAB course (now we call it NETP?) who had been serving in ships for four years.  Now that he was finally loaded on the course, he had a posting message for Petawawa and was leaving the next month!  It's nothing close to that anymore, but we still have occasional problems with personnel posted to ships without first having done the appropriate ship training.

Generally, they want you to be posted to a ship before they load you on the course, simply because the training has an expiry date.  it's only good for two years.  If you do the course too soon, you will simply have to do it again when you are actually posted to a ship (although it's a refresher course the second time around and so somewhat abbreviated).  As Comm Rsch, there are a very limited number of shipboard positions, so it could be a long time before you actually get to sea.  Nevertheless, it never hurts to ask.  If there is nothing more constructive for you to do, they might let you do it if there are spaces available.

On a final note, sea duty allowance (SDA - "sea pay") is not dependent on having done the training.  If you're posted to a ship and have done your in-routine, you get SDA, period.

I'm purple; when I was posted to the navy in 88, I cleared in to the base and immediately began my OSQAB the next Monday before I even reported in for duty at my new place of work. That was the norm for us back then, but I have no idea how they qual their purple pers these days.

Pusser said:
On a final note, sea duty allowance (SDA - "sea pay") is not dependent on having done the training.  If you're posted to a ship and have done your in-routine, you get SDA, period.

Quite aware of this fact. I was only stating that the members were posted into a sea going position with out having completed OSQAB/NETP.

It seems to be for storesmen that you will get your NETP before being drafted to a ship. Again this will all be governed by the needs of the Navy. Many a purple people helper has ended up on a short notice tasking aboard a sleek greyhound of death with out the proper course but had to go as they were the only healthy people around.

Now on my OSQAB we have a Comm Research type who was flown down from Ottawa for the course only. She was not posted directly to a ship. I did run into her again a few years later though as a crew member of the Iroquois. So I think the course was done so she would have more opportunities. Which is a good thing I think.

If you want the most accurate answer I would inquire through my chain of command to be honest. Comm Research people can best advise other Comm Research people on courses.

Thanks for the replies, did not know the NETP expires after 2 years.

And so far, I haven't met a qualified navy Comm Rsch in Kingston, the other navy guys asked to be posted at a home unit during their waiting period.

Thanks again, food for the thought for my field trip this week (last week of SQ!).

Back