• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Questions [ROTP and NCM-SEP]

ColtGreenhorn

Inactive
Reaction score
This is my first post, so bare with me please.

So I have emailed and talked (in person), to recruiters at both the local CFRC and reserve units in my town. I have gotten very good responses back from each, however I am still left a little confused and I feel like my questions aren't being answered completely/to my liking. I may be just looking for answers to questions that can't be answered but I was hoping that someone may see this and be able to help out.

I am currently in college, studying General Arts and Science (core courses for bio, chem, anatomy) as well as their college qualifying counterparts in second semester. This makes me eligible for any college programs requiring C/M or U level courses. I am interested in 2 career options, one being paramedic and the other being the Canadian Forces. With regards to the Forces, my two desired pathways are attending RMC for ROTP or paramedic schooling via NCM-SEP.

1. Is it possible to apply for both ROTP and Med Tech [via NCM-SEP] at the same time? My desired trades are Medical Technician, Air Combat Systems Officer and Armour Officer. I am just confused as the response I received said, "You need to apply on-line on the FORCES.CA website for REGULAR FORCE and ROTP entry plan." I am just not sure if this means my application will be only for ROTP or if it will be a general application to the regular force allowing me to include Med Tech.

2. If I don't get approved into a paramedic college, is it still possible to continue my applications as a Med Tech?

Once again I apologize for any newcomer mistakes. I have tried searching the forums, however many of the posts seem dated or a relevant to the trades themselves and not the process of recruiting.

Thank-you.

hello ColtGreenhorn

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces.

It is not possible to apply for two different entry plans or officer and NCM. It is suggested that you pick the entry plan that best suit your qualifications to the occupations you have chosen. Check the following link for the qualifications required for your chosen occupation and entry plans http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70.

For Med Tech NCM-STEP program, if you do not attain the unconditional acceptance in to the approved program, you may request a change to your entry plan through your local recruiting detachment to continue to be processed as an "Unskilled" applicant.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in this tread.

Thank you very much for you reply.

So with this being said, is there a time constraint or a "probation" period for when people can and cannot apply. Similar to the RCMP where you have to wait a year before reapplying if you change career paths or stop the application process?

While time is not a factor, I am just curious if I apply to ROTP and am deemed non-competitive, part way through the process, is there a time limit in which I have to wait to re-apply to the Forces?

Secondly when I re-apply, would I be able to apply for Medical Technician?

Once again, thank-you for your response. It is great to have insights about the Forces.

hello ColtGreenhorn

If you apply for ROTP, It is suggested you do so soonest, as the portal to upload your transcripts is only open for a short period of time. There is a three part suitability check, to confirm you are suitable and eligible for your selected academic programs and occupations. If you are found unsuitable during any of these processes, you will be contacted, and your local recruiting detachment will reorient you. At this time, you will be able to change your application to “NCM-STEP” or “unskilled” for Med TECH. There is no probation period.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thank-you once again Master Seaman Robert.

The information you have given me is very helpful and I will be visiting my local recruiting centre to start the application this week.

Once again, just looking for some more clarification and information while I wait for my recruiting centre to respond to my latest inquiry. I am looking to see if I would be eligible for ROTP however I know my chances are not very favourable. More then likely I will not proceed past the initial stage and my recruiter informed me that he can process me after as an NCM if that is the case. Seeing as I plan to enter the military and was merely applying as a shot in the dark I was more then happy to hear that.

Now, I have a few more questions about NCM. I will be looking to apply as either a Med Tech, Comm Research Operator, Armour Soldier, Intelligence Operator (although I have read this is not available to civilian applicants) or Combat Engineer. I don't think this effects many of the questions I have, but just incase I decided to have them there.

1) I am curious as to what happens between training? I am not completely familiar with all the abbreviations but I have seen BMQ > BMQ-L > QL (followed by a number). While I will learn and understand these in the future I am more curious as to what occurs in the time after I complete each course. Seeing as I would not be qualified in my trade, would I be sent home after BMQ until my BMQ-L?

2) How does the environment or element (army, navy, air force) effect ones career trades with more then one element?

3) Finally, it is my understanding that people (applicants) are sent to wherever they are needed. Do they give any input as to where they would like to be posted if there are no postings in any specific locations? Should I be enrolled and successfully complete all the steps, I would like to be equipped with this knowledge for the future.

Once again, thank you to whomever reads and responds to this post. It is a great resource to have.

hello ColtGreenhorn

Once you have completed your application process, you will be sent to BMQ. Upon completion of BMQ you will be sent to complete your BMQ-L. After completing this course you will sent to start your trades trading (QL or DP courses). If there is a waiting period for your trades training, you will be able to take annual leave, but expect to start "On the Job training(OJT)" or working with a "Personal awaiting training (PAT)" platoon. If you are applying regular force you will not be sent home between courses.

Reference your 2nd question I require clarification I do not understand what your asking.

Finally during you trades training, you should be given the opportunity to choice a posting preference. Please remember this is only a suggestion for your career manager. If they can post you to your preferred location they may, but they are going to post you to a location where manning is required.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

First, I do understand that this is an older post, however, I think that question #2 is something I would like to know as well.  I think s/he may have been asking about purple trades and whether they are required to do training for all three elements, or just the specific one they are hired in.

Good day all,

This link will take you to the section of the recruiting website that details the training involved for each element both Officer and NCM: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90 

Back