• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying to the rcmp and personal finances

ChristopherRobin

Inactive
Reaction score
So of course I finally receive my test scores after a 3 month delay and at the same time I receive my offer for the military (infantry officer). Question is, which one do I continue with and which one do I delay? I'll have to figue that one out on my own within the next couple days.

I had a question about personal finances and applying to the rcmp. When I was going through the Vancouver PD process, they paid special attention to what you have built for yourself (savings and rrsp's) because you end up having to pay 10K to go through the school. The idea for them is you aren't paid all that much and have to be able to afford your own housing...etc. It also had to do with your age and where you 'should' be in life. I'm assuming the rcmp is similar. I know it's a lot of speculation but does anyone have an idea of where you 'should' be financially at 29 years of age? It's really subjective and I spoke to the Vancouver RCMP recruiter and he said as long as you don't have bill collectors at your door, have good credit and can arrange to have personal debts and visas to be paid monthly by family while you're at depot, you should be good. Any thoughts?

Second, as far as that medical examination towards the end of the selection process, what do they actually do? Is it a superficial examination or in depth where they take x-rays, examine joints...etc? I do get sore knees once in a while because of the nature of my civvie job so I'd want to make sure all that was checked out.

Thanks!

They check everything but your genitals.

If I were you, I'd go for the CF. If you pass up on going to the military, there's a possibility that you do not get picked for the RCMP. Then you're in a real jam. You could always reapply to the RCMP after your stint in the military.

Hard to recommend one over the other. It really depends what job you think is best for you, as they are both very different. Infantry officer training will be the most physically intense thing you will have ever done. I stuck to the NCO side but have many friends that have gone through Phase 1-4 in Gagetown and Phase 3 is brutally physical where you will be pushed to your breaking point. RCMP training is physically easier but you need good common sense and brains while at Depot and on the job to do well. Bottom line they are both amazing careers that I am sure you will have no regrets over. One thing to consider is that I have seen many people switch from the CF to the RCMP after a few years, but not vice versa. Probably due to age and salary issues.

As for the medical, it is a full check up, they do chest x-rays, but do not x-ray your joints. The doctor checked all my joints for range of motion. I know people who have had previous knee operations and got in no problem. I would think that the CF medical is very similar, but I did mine many years ago now so I am not an authority on that....

Currently cadets do not get paid for six months at Depot. Everything there is free save for your incidental expenses. I have heard of some people going through and spending less than $5000, and others who blew over $10000 while there. I recommend getting rid of all expenses before going (car payments, rent etc) and having at least $5-7K in the bank or a line of credit to get you through. Depot is a registered educational institution so all interest on student loans is tax deductable. Here is my biggest advice for money going to Depot: If you are working full-time now inquire with Employment Insurance to see if they will allow you to claim it while at Depot. They will do this if you can prove to them that this is job-training that will get you a better career.

Good luck with whichever choice you make. I look forward to hearing what your decision is!

+1 to what Limey said...

I got $300 (approx) every two weeks when I went through.  But to be on the safe side, Depot recommends $5 - 6000, I say close to $8000.  You gotta have a life too, when they let you have it.  But the career thing is your choice.  As has been said, equally rewarding but in different ways.

That's a pretty broad question, many different people are at many different places in their life at 29. Its a fairly young age to be anywhere significant in terms of careers and family, let alone have a hockey sock full of money to your name. But again there are exceptions, people who start choosing early on in life and know exactly what they want to be doing and were they want to be by the time their 30. But again these are exceptions.

People are choosing to stay in post secondary education longer and don't graduate until their mid 20's, my daughter is a perfect example, who is 24 and decided to go back to university and finish her graduate studies, she won't be finished until she's 27. Her career won't begin until she's almost 30 and if she decides to get married it probably won't be until her mid 30's, that seems to be the trend today, school, career, marriage, and then come the mortgage and 2 1/2 kids by the time their 35-40.   

So I think that by the time your 29 you should have some aspirations of what you want to do with the rest of your life, but financially you are most likely still a baby, unless of course you had the self discipline to sock money away from a very early age and hired a very good financial councillor.

Personally i would choose the CF first, go for officers training and work your way up, and if you choose later to pursue a career in the RCMP, you can wiz through their training in your sleep, especially after having to endure the phase training in the military. I was posted to the Infantry school in Gagetown for 3 years and I can tell you that officers phase training is some of the hardest training you will ever do in your career. I was a storeman for a few of the courses and the higher the phase the more demanding the training, i always felt sorry for the poor buggers. But after doing this, your RCMP training will seem like a walk in the park.

In a way I'm sort of glad that the application process is lengthy because it gives applicants a time span to come up with the money they'd need for DEPOT as well as personal financial obligations such as mortage/rent/car payments.

I know I'm going to have to come with atleast an extra $6000-$7000 ontop of the $5000 required for DEPOT. It's insane...I might have to get rid of my 350Z prior to departing :(

Back