• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armour v. Armoured

scoutfinch

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
What is the proper use of these words and in which context should one be used rather than the other.

For example, I have always understood that it was the Armour Corps and that some vehicles were armoured. 

More and more frequently, I see people referring to themselves (gasp!) and others as Armoured which does not make sense to me.

In any event, it must be a slow day for me if I have this much time to sort fly sh*t from pepper but it puzzled me and I am positive someone here can set me straight!

Thanks

scoutfinch said:
What is the proper use of these words and in which context should one be used rather than the other.

For example, I have always understood that it was the Armour Corps and that some vehicles were armoured. 

More and more frequently, I see people referring to themselves (gasp!) and others as Armoured which does not make sense to me.

In any event, it must be a slow day for me if I have this much time to sort fly **** from pepper but it puzzled me and I am positive someone here can set me straight!

Thanks

You lay awake at night thinking of thi stuff dont you  ;D

I can't help myself.... it is the old civie lawyer coming out in me!

"What Trade are you?" 

"I'm Armoured.....I belong to the Armoured Corps.  I drive around in an armoured vehicle.  That differentiates me, as a Crewman, from a Sailor."

Actually, I am wrong...it is Armour Corps, not Armoured Corps.

You can use armour any time that you want to define yourself as being Canadian (Armour) (or British Commonwealth), as opposed to being American (Armor).   ;D

This is in contrast to amour which is the proper domain of others in the army who don't wear greasy black berets, smell of diesel fuel and have electric coffee makers in their bloody vehicles.

and gun basket grill cheese whiz sandwiches.  ;D

icon_postwhore.gif

Just ask yourself this.  Who invented the english language?  The UK or the USA?  The answe to your question lies within....

Back