• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATIS Tech questions

Pushpin

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently applying to a program that requires me to research the possible future careers with an Electronics Engineering Technology diploma from my local college.  I was wondering if someone who is currently an ATIS Tech would be willing to answer some pretty informal questions for me via the PM?  Thank you!

Why not ask them here in the forum and everyone can benefit from the answers?  That's the purpose of the forum.

You have searched to see if your answers have been asked and answered already, right? 

Sure!  This does require an ATIS Tech to give me THEIR PERSPECTIVE of the pros/cons of working in this field.  I also require a detailed description of daily duties and normal working hours.  I do understand that not all ATIS Techs do the same thing or even the same task daily, I just need an example of one day from one person already working in this trade.  I have watched the videos and read as many searched questions regarding this trade, I recognize that these questions could be answered predominantly on my own, unfortunately, I require someone working in the trade to give me their perspective.

To understand why I require this information, I am applying to the CF (updating my forgotten Gr. 10 math skills) but I have also applied and been accepted to my local college and plan to start the Electronics Engineering Technology program in the fall.  Since I am older and have a young family, I am hoping for financial assistance and in doing so, I need to complete a detailed Labour Market Research paper on my chosen program and the possible job outlooks in this field.  I have visited with the recruiter in my area and he was exceedingly friendly and helpful on all of my questions regarding the application and hiring in the CF.

I actually have one further question that is more personal based, has there been an increase in female presence in this trade?

Many thanks to anyone who decides to contact me or answers any of these questions on this forum.  I appreciate it greatly!

So the paper is in support of your financial assistance application for the college program.  Good.

First, I would recommend you read the related threads on ATIS Techs found by this search:  https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+atis+tech.  This site's search engine doesn't work that well, but you can use Google to search only this site by including "site:army.ca" along with your search terms in the search field.

I was never an ATIS Tech at any of the large Air Force bases (Comox, Cold Lake, Trenton, Bagotville, Greenwood), but I did see a small base and Ottawa.

While things may vary from base to base, basically you'll see a Navigational Aids section, an Airfield Comms section, an IT section, and a FM section.

Initially, you'd be doing OJT with a period of time spent in each section to gain experience.  After OJT, you'd be rotated through the sections, though you'll spend a longer period of time than during your OJT.

Navigational Aids deals with things like airfield radars (area surveillance and secondary radars), TACAN, radiobeacons, and ILS (Instrument Landing System).  The day would likely start with daily checks on the equipment to ensure that it's functioning properly.  The remainder of the day would be spent doing corrective maintenance on any defects found during the daily checks, and routine/scheduled maintenance on the equipment.  There are rotating antennas that need to be lubricated, equipment that needs to be checked periodically to ensure it's working within tolerances, and administrative stuff like ensuring you have the proper spare parts on hand, and returning broken equipment so that it can be serviced at a second or third line facility.

Airfield Comms deals with HF/VHF/UHF radios that are used to communicate between the tower and aircraft.  Again, daily checks to be done, fix anything that doesn't pass checks, and routine maintenance to ensure everything is working properly.

The IT section deals with a few different computer networks on the base.  You'll have a Help Desk organization to field calls from users and provide front line support, and initiate trouble tickets for the desktop support people.  The Help Desk also creates/modifies user accounts.  Desktop support does PC installation/moves/repairs and any fixes that can't be done remotely by the Help Desk.  You'll also have an opportunity to work with the civilians who manage the server and network side of things.

The FM section installs/repairs/uninstalls the mobile radios that are found in the various vehicles on the base, as well as the base station radios themselves.  They also get into some structured wiring as the base station radios can usually be operated from numerous locations on the base, and telephone lines are used to bring all the signals to/from the remote locations.

Normal working hours for the trade while posted to a base would be from 7-3 or 8-4 Mon-Fri, with an "on-call" duty tech that is rotated around for a period of time, usually a week.  If there's an exercise going on, I would expect they have a tech present at all times, meaning shifts - but I would wait for someone from a large base to chime in on that.  On occasion, a repair may require you to work beyond normal working hours, especially if it's an essential piece of equipment.  Good bosses will try to ensure that you get something in return for a long duty day, but when it comes down to it you're in the CAF and you're on call 24/7 - there's no such thing as overtime.  If duty calls, off you go.

There are postings where you specialize somewhat more in the skills you've picked up along the way.  There are a lot of IT-specific positions in Ottawa, some IT security positions, and positions where you may be a tech on a AWACS aircraft based out of the US or abroad.

It's a pretty good trade, in my opinion.  While opinions may vary, you get such a breadth of experience over a career that making the jump to civvie street is usually very easy.  There is a very wide range of geographical locations you can be posted to.  The job can occasionally get monotonous, but you don't usually spend long enough in any given position for that to happen.

There are some women in the ATIS Tech trade, I wouldn't know exact numbers but if I were to take a wild guess I'd say somewhere around 10%.  Probably not that much different than in the civilian electronics technician field.  I would say the numbers are probably increasing gradually, much like the number of women in civilian trades as well.

Back